Have they ever found the DORADO?
dex armstrong
Posted 2013-06-11 2:20 PM (#64504)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Have they ever found the DORADO?

I had a neighbor and good friend whose brother was a JG on the DOLRADO, thought to have been sunk by 4 Army Air Corps B-25s in the Carribean heading for The Canal enroute to the Pacific. Has the wreck ever been located? DEX

Edited by dex armstrong 2013-06-11 3:54 PM
Ric
Posted 2013-06-11 2:56 PM (#64506 - in reply to #64504)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Have they ever found the DORADO?

There are some folks searching but I haven't heard of any success.

Here is a place to see what has been done.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08248.htm
dex armstrong
Posted 2013-06-11 3:48 PM (#64507 - in reply to #64504)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Have they ever found the DORADO?

Ric, Lete explain my interest in the DORADO. I had a dear friend named Helen Averill...she was married to Col. William P. Averill...Gen Hershey's JAG Offiocer when he was in charge of the Selective Service during the Vietnamese War...They had a son who spent a tour aboard the USS CUTLASS (SS-479) I believe. Little Bill, now dead, was a two year Reserve. After the deaths of her son and husband....She wanted to dedicate a pew in the Episcopal Church in Tupelo Miss to memorialize her brother who went down aboard the DORADO....She knew his birth date but wanted me to find out what the Navy considered his date of death to be. The Navy considered his ETA Panama to be his date of death and based all his benefits using his ETA Panama date. Helen, out of appreciation, shipped a lovely set of Wedgewood dinner plates made specifically for her brothers Naval Academy class, that he had purchased for his mother. Not being a Naval Academy grad, I could not use those wonderful plates and due to Helen's death shortly after the receipt of the plates, there was no way to return them. The solution was an almost unbelieveable story...that would be very enjoyable to relate at another time.It was like something you would read about in Reader's Digest. This afternoon I was reading about that R-Boat they just found and started wondering about someone finding DORADO. They saeem to know approximately where it went down but it doesn't seem that the4y ever have mounted a serious effort to find it. Maybe someday. DEX

Edited by dex armstrong 2013-06-11 8:41 PM