Submarine technology
sharkey
Posted 2014-01-12 4:31 PM (#69173)

Senior Crew

Subject: Submarine technology

I want to thank whomever recommended I buy and read "Submarine Technology for the 21st Century." After the first 2-3 chapters I find there is a Hell of a lot going on out there. I am especially enjoying the discussion about the boats which existed when I was in. I never knew half of this stuff even though I was an RPO and Emergency Power Plant Welder.
SubVet49
Posted 2014-01-14 5:43 PM (#69226 - in reply to #69173)

Subject: RE: Submarine technology

Sharkey,

You are welcome, I hope you are enjoying that book as I did. Really interesting stuff. I have also heard that the Submarine Review, published by the Naval Submarine League is very interesting. Not sure if a person has to join to get a subscription, but will check it out. Always interesting stuff going on in the world of submarines.

John
sharkey
Posted 2014-01-22 5:02 PM (#69375 - in reply to #69173)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Submarine technology

The Naval Submarine League and its meeting once a month has supplanted even the USSVI meetings. I never fail to enjoy the meetings, the bubbleheads and the presentations. Last year we heard from Cameron and has 70 minute dives into the Marianas trench Yes…70 minutes! Then we heard from SPAWAR, skippers of three different new boats, a couple of Admirals who discussed budgetary issues and secrecy i.e. Snowden et al and finally last week it was all about Cybertech and cyber war. This definitely the best dues I ever paid. Plus we get quarterly issues of The Submarine Review which is better than The Naval Institute Proceedings.