USS LING status update
Darrin
Posted 2014-04-29 11:10 AM (#70844)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: USS LING status update

All,

This was copied from www.submarinemuseums.org and it appears that the LING needs a new home ASAP

Re: USS Ling Status

« Reply #29 on: Today at 08:44:23 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm new to this forum, but have some information about the Ling. I live in Florida, but have been in communication with Les Altschuler, who is the lead person to talk to about the Ling.
On April 23, he wrote me when I asked him about the Memorial Day event there. This was his response: "Up until yesterday we had planned to hold our Memorial Day ceremony on May 25th. This morning I'm not sure if that will happen. Things occurred yesterday that were completely unexpected."
When a friend of mine talked with him on the 24th, this is what Les told him: Last night the Trustees of the Board (actually their attorneys) were advised that the paper company that owned the land had been sold. And not sold to an entity that wants the Ling there. A developer that wants to put a huge whatever there. They have been given 30 days to get it (the boat) out of there.
Actually, before this they needed to fix the fire alarm system in the boat and that took a while due to lack of funds. Now it is fixed (as of this past weekend) and they can go and get the fire marshal to inspect and give them a green light to open the boat to the public. But they are less concerned about that than being able to work out a deal to stay there.
That is the primary focus. As it stands there is no date for which the museum can open. Maybe in a few weeks, maybe never.
Not looking good for the USS Ling. This submarine and the subvets that are there need help in trying to save it again!
AtoZ
Posted 2014-04-29 12:32 PM (#70845 - in reply to #70844)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: USS LING status update

I am quite familiar with the Ling and its situation having been associated with it in various positions from tour guide (docent) and duty electrician to board member and executive director.

As far as I know, and this is pretty accurate and reliable, the Ling ain't going anywhere unless scrapped on site, and the only thing that would make that feasible is an awful lot of cash and the fact that there are 252 LEAD Acid battery cells installed on the lower level, and lots of copper and brass installed. The principal reason that it can't move is that the Hackensack River, upon which it is docked, was a federally maintained navigable waterway when it arrived, but that designation was removed many years ago. The channel has been silting up ever since and is now no more than six feet deep. (The Ling draws 18.) Also the drawbridge downstream from the Ling has not opened in many years and whether it is still operable is questionable at best.

I don't have any answers to its situation, but I think a resolution is still way down the road.
AtoZ
Posted 2014-05-03 9:54 AM (#70879 - in reply to #70844)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: USS LING status update, Oooops!

Just spoke to Les Altschuler, Pres of the Ling Board, NI North Base Commander & District Director, USSVI. The property HAS NOT been sold. The current owner is now working on a third potential buyer and there is no directive to "move the Ling in 30 days'. Whoever sent you that message from FL was just blowing smoke. While my previous reply is true and valid it don't mean a thing until the property is sold and the new landlord decides what he wants to do about the boat.
Darrin
Posted 2014-05-04 7:04 AM (#70893 - in reply to #70844)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: USS LING status update

Thank you A to Z for letting me know the correct information regarding the LING, I had only copied and pasted the information from submarinemuseums.org and was hoping that someone on here could verify the story or give more in depth information regarding this issue.

Again Thanks,

Darrin