Interesting Question
geno
Posted 2017-04-25 5:38 PM (#82895)
Old Salt

Subject: Interesting Question

In talking with friends, I have found a few that know of people that committed suicide. I don't think I know or ever heard of any boat sailor doing that act. Am I wrong? Is there history. I have always told people that as crazy as we were we would never go there. Correct me.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-04-25 6:17 PM (#82896 - in reply to #82895)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Interesting Question

Sorry to tell you that you are wrong, but I know of three. Never suspected it of any of them either. Two from apparent family problems and one who knows?
GaryKC
Posted 2017-04-25 6:56 PM (#82897 - in reply to #82895)

COMSUBBBS

I've known 2 friends who decided to quit, one was a RM2(SS) suffering with colitis. Nothing crazy in ending an unbearable existence.

Edited by GaryKC 2017-04-25 7:07 PM
Bob T
Posted 2017-04-25 8:57 PM (#82898 - in reply to #82895)

Senior Crew

Had at least one on a boomer when I was in, at least one sailor at Mare Island when I worked there.
Ric
Posted 2017-04-25 9:38 PM (#82899 - in reply to #82895)

Plankowner

Had a TM1 from Flasher who shot himself a few years after I left. He had a drinking problem and probably family issues.
Through some research I found a number of folks over time who did the deed.
First one I know of was Commander Guy Wilkinson Stuart Castle a Medal of Honor awardee from the the Vera Cruz incident. When WW I happened he wanted in the combat zone badly and made many requests.
Here is an excerpt from a story I did about him
http://pigboats.com/features4.html (scroll down to his name and click his photo)

Commissioned lieutenant commander on September 15, 1914, to rank from July 1 of that year, Castle left Utah on May 11, 1916,and reported to the Bureau of Steam Engineering, in Washington, D.C., two days later. Serving as a senior member of a board 'to determine space and weight of various material features of submarine[s] to be built'.

He later participated in the deliberations of the board that investigated and reported on the classification and standardization of motors on board ships . After a brief tour of temporary duty with Rear Admiral William S. Sims, during which he took passage in the USS Wilkes (Torpedo Boat No.35), Castle served on a board that evaluated 'devices and plans connected with submarine warfare.' By year's end, Castle had received temporary promotion to commander on August 13, 1917. The US was now four months into World War I and Guy wanted in the action.

Ultimately, Castle's 'urgent request' for sea duty bore fruit but the Armistice that ended hostilities on the western front, occurred only a week before his detachment from the Bureau of Steam Engineering on November 18, 1918. With orders to report to the Receiving Ship at New York Navy Yard. He arrived there on November 22.

The next day he relieved Capt. Kenneth G. Castleman as commanding officer of the transport Martha Washington. Under Castle's command, the transport conducted seven round trip voyages to French, British, or Dutch ports, with New York, Hampton Roads, or Charleston, S.C. serving as the western terminals to these routes.

On August 4, 1919, Martha Washington sailed from New York, bound for Brest, France, on the first leg of her voyage that was ultimately to take her to Constantinople. On the evening of August 10, 1919, when Castle did not arrive at the scheduled time for dinner, his orderly and cabin steward found the door to the bathroom in his cabin locked. When repeated calls and knocking failed to arouse a response from within that compartment, the steward then summoned the ship's senior surgeon and a carpenter's mate, who forced the door. They found Castle dead on the floor of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He had placed his wife's photograph inside his shirt over his heart and a picture of his two sons on the shelf in the bathroom opposite the mirror.

'During the voyage,' Martha Washington's chronicler has written, 'no unusual actions of the Commanding Officer caused anyone to suspect that he contemplated such an action and his death was a great shock to both his officers and men...Captain Castle was held in the highest esteem by the officers and men of this vessel, who sincerely mourn his death, with his bereaved family.' Castle was buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Interesting to note that his best man at his wedding, just seven years before, Lieutenant Fred H. Poteet, was also a pallbearer at his funeral. He is buried in Plot Section 3, Grave 4345 SS at Arlington

For his full story go to the link provided above. It will provide his links to submarines.

steamboat
Posted 2017-04-26 6:49 AM (#82900 - in reply to #82895)
Master and Commander

Please forgive me for not remembering his name, but did not the skipper of the Pueblo commit suicide later in life? Or was that the skipper of the Indianapolis? Could his mental state have perhaps been caused by the Navy's treatment of him upon repatriation? If memory serves me right, both of these men were court marshalled.
There are so many unanswered questions in this life!

Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2017-04-26 6:51 AM
Ric
Posted 2017-04-26 7:41 AM (#82901 - in reply to #82900)

Plankowner

I believe it was the Indianapolis. Just before he was acquitted of all blame.
Holland Club
Posted 2017-04-26 8:13 AM (#82902 - in reply to #82895)

Master and Commander

There were 2 vet submariners who worked at the plant where I did that killed themselves. Sad loss. One was due to come to work on mid shift. He didn't and the police found him next morning st home. Family probs.
The other a chem tech. Never heard what brought that on.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2017-04-26 9:31 AM (#82903 - in reply to #82895)

Master and Commander

LCDR Lloyd Bucher was the CO of the Pueblo (AGER-2). He was born in Pocatello ID in 1927, served aboard the USS Besugo SS-321, Caiman SS-323. Then he was stationed at COM MINE PAC at LBeach. Then in 1961 - 1964 served aboard the Ronquil SS-396, but he wasn't a nuke, and Rickover didn't hand anoint him so he was given command of the Pueblo.

He never went to a court martial, and the court of inquiry cleared him. He retired as a 3-stripe CDR. He died 28 Jan 2004 and is buried at Fort Rosecrans, SDIEGO.

I worked with one of the Pueblo crew, P.P. Garcia, at Naval Surface Warfare Center, Port Hueneme Division.
steamboat
Posted 2017-04-26 9:38 AM (#82904 - in reply to #82903)
Master and Commander

Lloyd Bucher, Yes, Jon, thank you. How could I have forgotten his name. He was a real hero in my estimation, though the Navy did not think so after he returned.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2017-04-26 10:08 AM (#82906 - in reply to #82901)

Master and Commander

The skipper of the Indianapolis did commit suicide around 1968 I believe.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2017-04-26 10:17 AM (#82907 - in reply to #82895)

Master and Commander

We had a YNSN aboard who committed suicide right after a patrol. He was bullied by some of the crew which included physical and mental abuse. He didn't fit in very well. They didn't give him a break the entire run. When we got in off that patrol I requested an immediate transfer which got me back to the 600Blue. After I left that boat I had heard from others how that particular crew treated newcomers rather badly. I had experienced that myself but never let anyone get to me although I could see how it could affect others. In my 8 years riding an FBM it was the only time I regretted being on a boat.
Ric
Posted 2017-04-26 10:45 AM (#82908 - in reply to #82903)

Plankowner

I met Capt Bucher at a subvets convention and have a copy of his book signed by him. A very humble man.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-04-26 11:09 AM (#82909 - in reply to #82895)

COMSUBBBS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_B._McVay_III
Pig
Posted 2017-04-26 3:24 PM (#82911 - in reply to #82895)
Plankowner

1996 - Mike Jeremy Boorda, Chief of Naval Operations commits suicide at 57.
Stoops
Posted 2017-04-27 7:23 AM (#82912 - in reply to #82908)
Master and Commander

He was also a guest speaker at the 594 class reunion at the Marriott in downtown San Francisco in 98.  Mostly guardfish, permit, and plunger crew.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-04-27 7:52 AM (#82913 - in reply to #82895)

COMSUBBBS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Michael_Boorda
Holland Club
Posted 2017-04-27 8:01 PM (#82918 - in reply to #82913)

Master and Commander

Wow!Raghat to CNO. Rest in peace Admiral.

Ron
chiefjoe
Posted 2017-05-26 7:48 PM (#84090 - in reply to #82908)
Senior Crew

Captain Bucher had a final naval assignment at the Navy Hospital on Guam. Heard much good and nothing bad about him. He had many trying to second guess him but if there was anything he could have been blamed for he the navy would have hung him.
chiefmoe