Roy Ator Passed
Gil
Posted 2017-07-16 10:11 PM (#84434)
Master and Commander

Subject: Roy Ator Passed

I hope I am wrong, but this was posted on Facebook today!
Ric
Posted 2017-07-16 11:11 PM (#84435 - in reply to #84434)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Roy Ator Passed

According Robin, Roy passed away today.
Rest in peace my friend.
Hand Salute! Two!

Roy Ator, Kevin Mooney, Dan Ashley, Ric Hedman at Warshots funeral, Washington DC.

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-07-16 11:31 PM (#84436 - in reply to #84434)
Master and Commander

A voice and force that will be missed by many, myself included. Rest in Peace, and may his family celebrate his life. The value of an individual is often measured in the friends and family they leave behind. Roy has been well represented.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe 2017-07-18 6:52 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2017-07-17 2:48 AM (#84437 - in reply to #84434)
COMSUBBBS

Such a heart felt loss of a friend and Shipmate.
Fair winds and following seas, my friend.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2017-07-17 3:14 AM (#84438 - in reply to #84434)
Master and Commander

Thoughts and prayers for the family.

MAD DOG
Posted 2017-07-17 3:24 AM (#84439 - in reply to #84434)

Master and Commander

(Draped dolphinsII.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Draped dolphinsII.jpg (164KB - 583 downloads)
MAD DOG
Posted 2017-07-17 3:29 AM (#84440 - in reply to #84434)

Master and Commander

(ussvi rest your oars.jpg)

(ussvi rest your oars.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ussvi rest your oars.jpg (13KB - 567 downloads)
Attachments ussvi rest your oars.jpg (13KB - 573 downloads)
PaulR
Posted 2017-07-17 5:05 AM (#84441 - in reply to #84434)

Master and Commander

The passing of an ICON.  Peace to hos family, friends, and shipmates.

HAND SALUTE SUBMARINER.  Sailor, rest your oar.
Bob Mahon
Posted 2017-07-17 5:32 AM (#84442 - in reply to #84434)

Great Sage of the Sea

(Mourning Eagle.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mourning Eagle.jpg (12KB - 557 downloads)
Doc Gardner
Posted 2017-07-17 6:19 AM (#84443 - in reply to #84434)

Master and Commander

Sailor, Rest Your Oar It was an honor to know you.

(IMG_2440.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2440.JPG (34KB - 572 downloads)
Runner485
Posted 2017-07-17 6:34 AM (#84444 - in reply to #84434)

COMSUBBBS

Rest in Peace Roy.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2017-07-17 6:59 AM (#84445 - in reply to #84434)

Master and Commander

Rest in Peace. You were one of those great Instructors I had the honor to be in his class at DamNeck. You made the submarine service that much safer and better.
geno
Posted 2017-07-17 7:19 AM (#84446 - in reply to #84434)
Old Salt

Rest in Peace shipmate.
Holland Club
Posted 2017-07-17 8:40 AM (#84447 - in reply to #84435)

Master and Commander

I am saddened by this news as I join family and shipmates in extending Mr. Ator, REST IN PEACE.
Ron
crystal
Posted 2017-07-17 9:30 AM (#84448 - in reply to #84434)

Master and Commander

Damn!  One of my oldest Navy buddy's!  I met Roy in January of 1961 when I reported aboard the USS Diodon SS-349 in San Diego immediately following Sub School.  Roy qualified just ahead of me and later signed off my electronics on my qual card (still have it).  We, as most shipmates, didn't stay close in touch but followed each other over the years.  He came to the Bash at the Ranch in 2001 with June (before she passed away) and we caught up a bit there and also later at a couple of conventions.  Roy was a "real gentleman", never loud, never overly boisterous or crude, just a down to earth guy.  I will always remember him that way, he was the kind of man you don't forget.  I hope Robin will keep us informed of any upcoming arrangements planned for her dad. 
Ric
Posted 2017-07-17 9:47 AM (#84449 - in reply to #84434)

Plankowner

Subject: Together now

Well you know there will be some stories told now.

Dex and Roy
steamboat
Posted 2017-07-17 10:39 AM (#84450 - in reply to #84434)
Master and Commander

Roy was both a fine Shipmate and a Gentleman, a rare combination for most of us! He was indeed someone to imitate.
God Speed Shipmate.
Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2017-07-18 5:47 AM
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2017-07-17 10:58 AM (#84451 - in reply to #84450)

Master and Commander

I am proud to be able to call Roy Ator my friend.

Rest in Peace, my friend.

P.S: Steamboat, sent you a PM.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2017-07-17 11:06 AM
Bruce
Posted 2017-07-17 11:32 AM (#84452 - in reply to #84434)
Mess cooking

I'm so sorry to hear this. He will be missed by all of us on Torsk. Sailor Rest Your Oar.
Darrin
Posted 2017-07-17 2:16 PM (#84454 - in reply to #84434)

Great Sage of the Sea

He was a good friend and a true shipmate to all whom knew him, he helped the Torsk Volunteer Association for many years along with the Cavalla folks.

Rest in Peace Roy, thank you for everything.

Hand Salute... Two

We have the watch shipmate, rest easy my friend

Darrin
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2017-07-18 5:11 AM (#84455 - in reply to #84434)

Master and Commander

So sorry to hear this news.
I first met Roy, along with June and Robin way back in 2004 as part of my trip across the USA.  Roy and his family being one of the many wonderful people who gave me a roof over my head.
I caught up with Roy for the last time I believe back in 2009 for Warshot's funeral at Arlington.  Roy was one of the 'Swine of the Highest Order'...lol.....I am sure he wore that title with pride also.  *_*
Words are not always enough to say how much people can mean to you, even when you don't see one another all the time.
Roy, it was indeed a pleasure and an Honour to have met you.
Rest In Peace Sir.
Your Aussie Shipmate...Paul/Blue
Don Gentry
Posted 2017-07-18 8:18 AM (#84456 - in reply to #84434)

Admin

I remember being so surprised how big Roy was when I met him at the Bash at the Ranch.  He doesn't portray that in photos and there he was with a big ol' stogie in his chops - and I instinctively stood more erect and prepared myself to say a lot of "yes sir's" to him - but of course that wasn't necessary as he turned out the be one of the nicest folks I had ever met.

What a pleasure to know this man - this news hurts - but it's nice to see all these heartfelt posts above mine!

You will be missed GREATLY Mr. Ator!
Stoops
Posted 2017-07-18 8:27 AM (#84457 - in reply to #84434)
Master and Commander

A true patriot and very active in many civics groups, including schools, veteran's groups.  I have a ton of respect for the man and his family. I will miss him.

PaulR
Posted 2017-07-19 2:20 PM (#84466 - in reply to #84441)

Master and Commander

Some time back in one of my posts, I mentioned the name of my 1st CO on Sea Robin 63-64.  Roy picked up on that and sent me note saying that he too had made the acquaintance of CDR Richard Johnstone who just happened to be his DIVCOM in Key West when he served aboard USS Tirante.  He was proud to have been qualified by the DIVCOM and received his GOLD Dolphins by him.

CDR Johnstone's daughter Tracey is a dedicated member of the Torsk crew in Baltimore and sent me this photo of her Dad & Roy.

Sailors Rest Your Oars

(RoyAtorDad.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RoyAtorDad.jpg (75KB - 569 downloads)
Ric
Posted 2017-07-19 2:56 PM (#84467 - in reply to #84466)

Plankowner

Great photo Paul
Roy looks happy.
Ah... the Torsk and the two Tracy's. Good Tracy and Evil Tracy. Both very nice women and hard working volunteers.
Don Gentry
Posted 2017-07-20 8:39 AM (#84471 - in reply to #84434)

Admin

Subject: Obituary link

http://www.lacyfuneral.com/notices/Roy-Ator
Gil
Posted 2017-07-21 8:01 AM (#84485 - in reply to #84434)
Master and Commander

I think some of you do not use Facebook.  I thought you might like this post from Robin and took the liberty of reposting it here.

5-6-33 to 7-16-17
It's been 5 days and I really do not know where to begin. So so many people have reached out, from all over the world to offer their condolences. Some of which only knew him through cyberspace, but that didn't stop them from becoming friends with, and admiring my dad.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for all the thoughts prayers and kind words!!!!

When mom passed five years ago we'd had 14 years of illness and 7 weeks in hospice so that gave us a little time to adjust and prepare. While dad had been hospitalized twice this year, he bounced back so much healthier and stronger each time. Sunday was probably one of his best days in a long time. He showed no signs of distress, was energetic and happy. I'm so fortunate to of spent most of the day with him, but it turned bad and in just a matter of minutes he was gone. I know there is absolutely nothing I could have done to bring him back but I tried. For the first time in my life I went against his own wishes, I violated the out of hospital DNR he had, and I tried. God knows I tried, as did my brother when he arrived moments later. In the end, dad was just tired and ready to go be with mom. I know this but it doesn't make it any easier to let him go.

My father was rather unique in that I've never known anyone who disliked him for any reason. While there have been a few folks along the way who may not of agreed with him on some things, he would still be the first one they would turn to when sound advice was needed. He was just impossible to dislike as his personality was quite charming and he always seemed to think things through before responding or taking any kind of action on anything in life. He had such a loving and giving nature!
My very first driving experience was at the age of 9 and he needed me to help feed the cows during a bitter cold winter. I couldn't lift the hay bales, so he taught me to drive the old standard farm truck so he could toss the hay bales out. That day, he said something to me, that he repeated many times as I became a young adult. "Engage clutch before shifting gears!"

To this day, that remains my favorite quote as those 5 words speak volumes and are exactly how he lived his life.(I've even had it as part of my Facebook profie from the day I set this page up.) I am sure that is why he was so admired and had the lifelong friendships he did. Even though I sometimes struggle at doing it, Daddy never failed to engage the clutch before responding to anything. He always thought things through and never, ever made a rash decision.
Letting go is so very difficult and would of been much easier had he been a tyrant, but that wasn't the case and he never failed to let me know how much he loved me and how proud he was of the woman I have become. As a veteran's advocate, I am considered an expert on veteran issues and assistance in my area. Truth be known, he was the expert and taught me everything I know about serving our veteran community. My heart aches that I will no longer be able to share my daily experiences with him.

I don't know if there were ever a father/daughter pair that were any closer than he and I. While I was the youngest of the children, I was his only girl, and our bond was special. I loved my mom dearly, but daddy was always my go to for everything in life. Be it advice, money, a hug or just someone to sit and listen while I vented. He was the best listener in the world and always seemed to know if I just needed him to listen or needed feedback. He would always stop whatever he was doing, no matter what it was, and just focus on what I was babbling about. That is what I will miss the most! In theses days of electronic devices and cell phones you just don't get that kind of personal attention anymore but I always did from him, even up to the day he died.
I knew the day would come when he would leave us as he missed my mom so very very much. I just didn't think it would happen this soon but life goes on and all I can do is continue to be the person he raised me to be and continue making him proud with everything I do.

Sorry for rambling on, I guess I just needed to get it out of my system.

Edited by Gil 2017-07-21 4:23 PM
Ric
Posted 2017-07-21 10:27 AM (#84491 - in reply to #84485)

Plankowner

Thanks Gil
I'm one of those No Facebookers, so thanks again.
Sid Harrison
Posted 2017-07-23 1:15 PM (#84505 - in reply to #84434)

Great Sage of the Sea

Sometime around 1997 after a lengthy exchange of sea-stories on
Martinis board I received an email from Roy Ator that he had  "a belly
full of scotch" and had read something I had posted and commented on
it. That was my first contact with him.

We exchanged many emails after that on a variety of subjects.  During
the big ice storm of 1998 that knocked out the power from Lake Ontario
to Maine   (our phone line, for some strange reason, stayed functional)
and Roy called me one night after my cousin Bob posted the number on
Martini's board. Just to check that I was OK.

I will miss his late night emails.

So many from that time period are now gone.  Time sure flies.

RIP Roy.

Sid Harrison
Don Gentry
Posted 2017-07-27 10:41 PM (#84537 - in reply to #84434)

Admin

Just heard from Robin - hopefully she will be able to post shortly!!  

steamboat
Posted 2017-07-28 7:35 AM (#84540 - in reply to #84485)
Master and Commander

Spoken from your heart, Robin. A very eloquent tribute from a much loved daughter. Roy would be touched, I am sure.

Steamboat sends