Coming up Sunday
Ric
Posted 2017-09-14 11:08 PM (#85072)

Plankowner

Subject: Coming up Sunday

The Ken Burns special The Viet Nam War on PBS

A few months ago a call went out though the VFW post where we subvets hold our meetings for Viet Nam era vets and Viet Nam vets to attend a meeting to meet and discuss and swap stories. For me it was a true honor to sit in a room with about a dozen guys who had been in the the front lines or over them and hear their stories. Made me wonder if I should be there. But, it was still my "war". I made sure to say that I was not an incountry vet but was in the Pacific drilling holes in the ocean on another "front" of the war and the "cold war".

I said that I had lost four of my school mates there and one, Lewis Albanese, had died and been posthumously awarded the MOH. Turns out there were two other guys there that had known Lewis.

Our local PBS station arrived at the meeting and took pictures as we talked. The photos, at the stations discretion, are to be locally interspersed during the programs breaks. We don't know who's photos will be used or in what way.

Here is a lead in for the program featuring Lewis Albanese, his family and the Medal of Honor and shows photos of him and his grave, (which I visit often to pay respects to him and the other guys from school who are there too.

The link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiz7hGGl3Eo

Gil
Posted 2017-09-16 1:23 PM (#85090 - in reply to #85072)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Coming up Sunday

I'm looking forward to the series starting Monday night, I have my DVR locked and loaded.