Liberty ports and SUBMARINE bars
dirty dave
Posted 2007-09-08 8:37 PM (#7385)

Crew

Subject: Liberty ports and SUBMARINE bars

O.K.sailor lets get off the ole ustafish crap and lets talk about some great SUBMARINE bars :Dolphin Club,Petes White Palace,Louies,Pearl City Tavern in pearl,White Hat,Starlite in Yoko.The Horse And Cow on Eddy Street,on first streen at Hunters Point and Vallejo and then to San Diego and now in Bremerton,Wa (talk about a camp follower),Ernies and the Seven Theives in Meca (New London).Lots not forget ole Bells and some of the sand traps in San Diego,Charleston,Key West, Hanvana ond other dens that we spent our youth chasing our dreams.
We can get a hell of a lot conversation going here and stimulate some of our ancient minds in to the time when we knew what we were chasing.I have quite of stories to tell and I am only one Wild Ass Submariner with an accute memory about all the ones I missed and talked myself out of.
We are SUBMARIE SAIOLRS lets talk and act like way we were.,please share your memories and I'll share mine.Keep it clean as possible as we have other people reading this net and they will wish that were SUBMARINE SAILORS after reading your wonderful experiences....start thinking.

Dirty Dave ..a forty, fifty and sixty bar fly

Dirty Dave
Warshot
Posted 2007-09-09 9:25 AM (#7396 - in reply to #7385)
WWII Sub Vet

Subject: RE: Liberty ports and SUBMARINE bars

Dave,
Long before the Horse & Cow, long before Bells in Norfolk, when Pearl City was just a country store, there was Georgia Street in Vallejo.

Georgia Street sported bars on both sides of the street for about two blocks. Just past the Ferry landing that made it real handy (both ways). Most of the boats that were being worked on at Mare Island had staked-out one bar. They had very colorfull names. Porthole, Anchor, Pier One, etc.

It was soooooooo famous in WWll that the phrase "Georgia street commando" was coined. It was one WILD AND CRAZY PLACE.

Warshot
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-09-09 10:36 PM (#7414 - in reply to #7385)

Master and Commander

All right Dave,my illustrious career spanned from '63-'83 which makes me a BOOT compared to you old farts,but I can remember,between attacks of CRS,visiting many memorable water holes,not the least of which was the wonderful"7 thieves"(& sobering up at the Hygienic?resaurant).How about the PCT before they installed glass over the monkey cage?Those critters were known to add a little flavor to your drink if they didn't like you.Who can forget the"House of Looby"?The only Horse&Cow I frequented was in"vally Joe".I remember the day the submarine was transported on a flat bed from Ellis st. to Vallejo.IT was a giant media event & hundreds of pictures were taken as the boat was lifted by a crane to the roof of the new bldg.Among the illustrious crowd gathered on the roof that day,two people come to mind.One was the infamous Bill Looby and the other was a sailor in dress blues,trumpet in hand,trying to remember all the notes to the National Anthem.That guy's initials were M D.If anyone has a photo ofthat event,please contact me.Does anyone remember MiElana's or Monica's in Agana,Guam?Old Daniel Boone sailors will remember the Green Turtle in Honolulu.What west coast guy didn't get a well paid for education on Hotel st.?Hotel st.,home of massage parlors,taxi dancers,sleazy dives,strip shows,the HASP,&various types of street creatures.It was Hawaii's answer to Bank st.,Rivers ave.,E.Main st.(the big boys told me about that one),& Granby st. all put together.Oh yea,Warshot,Georgia st. was still there when I got to Vallejo in the '70s.Well,my CRS is kicking in again so I'm outa here. MAD DOG
dirty dave
Posted 2007-09-10 12:17 AM (#7416 - in reply to #7396)

Crew

Yes warshot,that was an area that could get a good submarine sailodr in deep cimche.When I hit Vallejo in the spring of 55,a hot running FT2 right out of sub school Georga Street was in the process of shutting down to a small roar.
The only submarine people there was the SubPac attachment that I was attached to for further assignment.There was a chief there named Horse Cornelius and I wanted a boat out of Pearl and he told me if I would take out a life insurance policy with him he would assign me a boat in Pearl.I did (later canceled when I hit Pearl)and got assigned to the USS CARP (SS338).
There were quite a few WWII guys on her and they told some great stories about Georga Street bars and girls.I had a few opporitunities to meet a few war brides from bars on Georga Street at the Hokkilau in the middle of naval housing and the haunts on Hotel Street.Hubba Hubba,Two Jacks,Bill Leders ,the Realto and Louies Log Cabin in the Alley,I never could ever keep in with them and was promply dumped in a cab and returned to the Subase with postage due.
Submarine sailors can't get away with the crap we used to pull ..One .DUI and your are history...just not the same old Navy we enjoyed.

HI Mad Dog ,nice to hear from you again,,,still got that dam bulge?
Dirty Dave
Flapper
Posted 2007-09-10 5:55 PM (#7447 - in reply to #7414)

Master and Commander

MD, as a Boone sailor I do indeed remember the Green Turtle. Are YOU a turtle?
Seems like I remember a place in Waikiki called Davey Jone's Locker; the back-bar was an underwater window into some hotel's swimming pool. Apparently, because the bar was dark, from inside the pool observers on the other side of the window were invisible. So we were witness to a lot of submerged hanky panky if we were patient enough.
Just checked Google, and I don't have CRS as bad as I thought ...

Edited by Flapper 2007-09-10 6:05 PM
mike652
Posted 2007-09-10 7:08 PM (#7451 - in reply to #7385)
Great Sage of the Sea

There were two Davy Jones Lockers. One, DJ1, was in the Outrigger Reef on Kalia Rd. and the other, DJ 2, at the Outrigger Waikiki on Kalakaua. DJ 1 the pool was to the right as you walked in. DJ 2 the pool was behind the bar.
In the early seventies, three of us from Puffer adopted DJ 2 as “our bar”. In part because of a puffer being in the fish tank behind the waitress stand at the bar. The table we always sat was just a step away from the waitress stand and we would not order a drink until we were at our table. Jan, the afternoon waitress, knew that and if someone was at our table would ignore them to get them to leave when close to our usual arrival time.
There were some interesting things that happened in that pool.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-09-11 12:34 AM (#7463 - in reply to #7385)

Great Sage of the Sea

I used to hear a lot of stories about a submarine bar in San Diego called Darby's. Was on Rosecrans just outside the subase gate. When I was teaching EM & IC schools in the early 80's I couldn't find it. When I got to Plunger in '88 I found it on a side-street (almost an alley) off Voltaire next to an over-pass. Lots of submarine memorabilia, all right, but damn few submariners in the place - mostly bikers. Only visited the place a few times. Not a fun place.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-09-11 12:55 AM (#7464 - in reply to #7451)

Great Sage of the Sea

mike652 - 2007-09-10 5:08 PM

There were two Davy Jones Lockers. One, DJ1, was in the Outrigger Reef on Kalia Rd. and the other, DJ 2, at the Outrigger Waikiki on Kalakaua. DJ 1 the pool was to the right as you walked in. DJ 2 the pool was behind the bar.

There were some interesting things that happened in that pool.

Yeah, I remember those. Lots of fun.

Just down the way was a place called "The Crow's Nest", upstairs from one of the local chain restaurants, can't think of the name, across Kalakaua from the Royal Hawaiian complex.

Barrel of peanuts by the door, and you were expected to dump the shells on the floor - if you used the ashtrays or just piled them on the table, the waitresses would come along and dump them in your lap.

Entertainment was a duo called themselves "The Blue Kangaroo". Acoustic guitar & banjo, sang popular folksongs at the start of the evening, but got more and more "adult content" as the evening went on, until the last set was very "blue". Some of the songs were audience participation - you got to make up your own verses to the song. I was in there one time with my roommates (TM2 & STS3) and some friends of theirs off the Darter, spring of 1976, and one of the Darter guys was having too much fun - made an off-color comment about somebody else's verse, and got us all thrown out. A week later I went back, and it was as if nothing had happened.

They closed the place and tore the building down in 1994, to make way for a new hotel or something.

Bear
Posted 2007-09-11 4:34 AM (#7467 - in reply to #7463)

Great Sage of the Sea

There were at least 3 Darby's    The first one you describe was when Jack Darby owned it and was just a hair off Rosacrans and was very near another Boat Bar which I think was called the Booby Trap which was a block or so one way or another from Darbys and across Rosacrans.  Then there was the formal Darby's in Ocean Beach which was own by his wife after Jack died and was a dart club and Boat sailors were diefinitely not welcome and then the third one was the dive you described and as best I know was a knock off and not an original There may have been one more for sure as I heard their was a Darby's before the Rosacrains one but never knew for sure, and I never visited or saw the third one (it was like the Horse and Cow in San Diego tried to find both and never succeeded)

Bear
Posted 2007-09-11 4:43 AM (#7468 - in reply to #7385)

Great Sage of the Sea

Was the Blue Kangaroo at Anna Bannanas?  Aspro took over for a Bar (first time around for me) a place called 454 Lewers (which we turn over to either Pogy or Tautog when we left for the the land of the Blue Lake Manor (in the sleepy little town of Pascagoula) and overhaul Second time around was near Davy Jones upstair called the Mini Pub (I was grounded then, so I did not make it)  
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-09-11 7:25 AM (#7473 - in reply to #7447)

Master and Commander

Bob. In answer to your turtle question:"You bet your sweet ass I am".Iam also still the proud owner of a Davy Jones's Locker "sip &splash "card.Do you remember the rules?At any time ,the bartender would ask everyone in the place to produce thier card and all noncardholders were cerimoniously tossed into the pool then issued a card.As for the Blue kangaroo,their signature audience participation song was "I went to the animal fair"and there were as many verses as there were bar patrons.The Green Turtle piano player, Mr. John Saclausa (music professor at University of Hawaii was his other job) moved to TheCrows Nest sometime in the early '70s. Oh by the way,speaking of membership cards,How many of present company have an IOOB card? DOG Note:the Crows nest mentioned here was on the top floor of a large office bldg.Can' recall exact location.

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-09-11 7:34 AM
mike652
Posted 2007-09-11 9:30 AM (#7482 - in reply to #7468)
Great Sage of the Sea

Bear – When we were on the Aspro several shipmates hung around the Mini Pub at the Outrigger. The barkeep was a Scandinavian whose name was Inga. She made a “Milk Shake” that would knock your socks off. My wife, when we could get her out barhopping, had to start at the Mini Pub (previously called Brass Rail) with a “Milk Shake”.
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-09-11 9:49 AM (#7483 - in reply to #7473)

Master and Commander

Bob .Correction to my last post.The establishment I referred to as the Crow's nest was actually the Eagle's nest .Sorry,CRS strikes again. DOG
Gil
Posted 2007-09-11 12:23 PM (#7485 - in reply to #7385)
Master and Commander

Wasn't the underwater pool viewing from bar in Waikiki part of the Reef Hotel. I went back as a civilian in the 80's and sat in my same spot.
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-09-11 1:30 PM (#7487 - in reply to #7485)

Master and Commander

Gil.You are correct,sir. DOG
Ed668
Posted 2007-09-11 2:38 PM (#7489 - in reply to #7385)
Senior Crew

I visited Darby's off of Rosacrans in August, 1976. It was a submarine bar at the time. I remember that they sold t-shirts that had a sailor and a hugh pair of dolphins on the back.

Does anyone remember a bar in Vallejo named Helen's that had the walls lined with submarine parts, placards, etc? I remember going there in 1973.
Bear
Posted 2007-09-12 1:33 AM (#7507 - in reply to #7482)

Great Sage of the Sea

Mike you had to be between my two tours on Spro Must know Tony Jilek then.

I came onboard in PI on first WestPac and left two or three days after my Captains Mast for Blue Lake Party

Came back about right before we left Pearl to go to PSNS yard and was on board when we tried to drink the Corpman Doc Haas out of cough syrup and Esquimalt out of Crown Royal

Bear
Posted 2007-09-12 1:37 AM (#7508 - in reply to #7385)

Great Sage of the Sea

Duh I know you. I just never pulled up your name and put it to Aspro till now thought all along you were after I left the second time
sundodger
Posted 2007-09-12 8:31 AM (#7516 - in reply to #7385)

Mess cooking

Hi Guys, FYI, any bar we turned up at became a SUBMARINE bar and in my time I have visited a whole host of them around the world, but sadly not in the US how ever i shall one day hop over the pond and maybe we can sink a few and exchange dits!
Best wishes

Scouse
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-09-14 12:26 AM (#7573 - in reply to #7468)

Great Sage of the Sea

Bear - 2007-09-11 2:43 AM

Was the Blue Kangaroo at Anna Bannanas?  Aspro took over for a Bar (first time around for me) a place called 454 Lewers (which we turn over to either Pogy or Tautog when we left for the the land of the Blue Lake Manor (in the sleepy little town of Pascagoula) and overhaul Second time around was near Davy Jones upstair called the Mini Pub (I was grounded then, so I did not make it)  

I only remember them at the Crow's Nest, above the JOLLY ROGER (knew I'd remember sooner or later) restaurant on Kalakaua. First time there in 1976, last time in 1993, just before I (and they) retired.

The Anna Banana's I remember was on Dillingham just west of where King, Dillingham, and University met at Puck's Alley. Mama Mia's for pizza and lasagna, or Mr. Sub's for Opu Buster sandwiches, then a couple blocks down the street to Anna Banana's.

454 Lewers. Little place, 5 or 6 tables max? In a condo building? Off Kuhio, near the Ala Wai canal?

So many years, so many beers ago.

Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2007-09-14 8:22 AM (#7579 - in reply to #7385)

Great Sage of the Sea

Perhaps the failing eyes have missed it, but I don't recall seeing ELFIE'S in Groton mentioned here. My first visit was almost 50 years ago, and I think it's still open.
Gil
Posted 2007-09-14 2:13 PM (#7587 - in reply to #7385)
Master and Commander

Anybody remember the New Yokosuka Bar in Yoko. What a routine I had in '67. Get 7200 yens for my $20 MPC then buy a bottle of Seagrams Seven for less than $2 then pay my 500 yen for a set up at the New Yokosuka Bar.

Same thing with out the setup and minus the byob at the Paramount Bar in Sasebo.

Enjoyed both bars until the Kiity Hawk followed us in both times and raised the bargaining prices

The Pearl City Tavern was another one - wonder what they did with the Monkees. Does anybody every remember June's near the PCT. It was kind of a dry run for Yokosuka. It was close to the PCT, but it too is long gone.

Also in Waikiki the Club 412was kind of an our boat hangout. It was a bar in the hotel at 412 Lewers St.
Smiley
Posted 2007-09-14 2:53 PM (#7588 - in reply to #7385)
Great Sage of the Sea

I kinda remember The 7 Brothers in New London.. and several of the unadvertised Bars in Old Town Seattle..
I also remember the Dial Tone in Charlestown.. I think that's what it was called.... slimey place with ugly ladies and exspensive Beers. The craziest Bar I ever was in which resulted in a fist fight between some AirForce losers some locals ( surfer dudes I think) and a few of us A gangers from the 616.. It was the Satelite Lounge in Coco Beach .. I got busted up pretty good but we kicked some ass.. We all got away from local PD by running down the Beach..I still LOL when I look back on that night.. We all walked back to the Boat in Port Caneveral.. ( I think it's about 8 miles) long walk barefoot and blitzed.. Ah to be 21 again...
Let us not forget the American Club or was it the California Club..? in Rota......oh yeh. buying wine by the color of the bottle and hagaling prices with the bar keep. Yes Spain Bullfights, The Gardia Seville, cockroaches the size of VWs and beautiful Morrocan woman with French Accents... I was a bigshot there I had 5 years of School Spanish in me and I knew enough of it to get us in trouble good...

Edited by Smiley 2007-09-14 3:02 PM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2007-09-14 3:04 PM (#7589 - in reply to #7385)

Master and Commander

I spent a small fortune in Elfie's during the EB overhaul of the 599 and 600. It was a short hop from the main gate and the troops hung out there for a quick beer or two before hitting the road. The Satellite Lounge in Cocoa was one of the must go to places on the Cape tours. Never had any trouble there. But then it was the heyday of NASA. Lot's of choice females descended on the Cape in those days looking for an astronaut to marry. I was way down the list as a Missile Tech.
Gil
Posted 2007-09-14 3:43 PM (#7591 - in reply to #7385)
Master and Commander

Also the Hong Kong Sailor's Club. Beer from anywhere in the world was a Hong Kong silver dollar (1/6 of US dollar)

I witnessed an incredible recovery from a very young British sailor. He was putting away Guiness when all of a sudden he just fell over and passed out on the floor. No matter his shipmates slapped him awake and put him back in his seat. When I left an hour later he was still drinking like nothing had happened
dirty dave
Posted 2007-09-14 4:28 PM (#7592 - in reply to #7579)

Crew

Ay yes,Elfie's and the El Bolaro...Spent a few hours there when building the 643 at EB...The Villa Capris was an other nice place to have a few pops.There was an other place of Thames called Danny Shea"s, a great bar with a lot of old natives hanging out there(long ago in the Fifties)./Danny had an order of the Yellow Dog and I still cary his card.A lot of merchant seaman hung out there.A bunch of us guys in SUBSCHOOL" 55 " got the sh-t kicked out of us when onf of the guys refused to pay up on a shuffle board game loss...low ond behold he was their skipper and the crap hit the fan.Scars to remember.

Pete's in Aiea was a big hang out for sub sailors in the fifties and sixties,a lot of the people from GUMU 90 hung out there,Gilley Willy for one and Narcodic Nick for an other. lots of ladies from Naval housing used to hang out there when their ole man was in West Pac.Most of the boats hung out at the Dolphin Club then,cycling between Pete's White Palace and Louie's Log Cabin.

An other hang out was Fran's in Groton.You would have to keep a close eye on your money because Tex one of the bar tenders had verty sticky fingers.I think he was the brother of the owner.

San Diego just had too many watering holes to mention,Barbette,Green's,Green Door and three or four oriental bars along Fifth Street.

Dirty Dave...48-67

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-09-14 11:58 PM (#7595 - in reply to #7591)

Great Sage of the Sea

I don't recall the Hong Kong Sailor's Club, but all 4 times I was in Hong Kong we had at least one ship's party at the China Fleet Club. Didn't spend much time in the Wanchai bars, too much noise and/or too many yuppies/tourists.

After a more senior shipmate showed me where they were, I spent most of my time in The Bull and The Bear in Victoria, or either the Waltzing Matilda or the Kangaroo Pub in Kowloon. Mostly Brits & Aussies in there, still had a good time.
Gil
Posted 2007-09-17 4:34 PM (#7649 - in reply to #7595)
Master and Commander

Thanks Don it was the China Fleet Club. I went back to Hong Kong in the 90's and could not get in because I was not military anymore.
Buff
Posted 2007-09-17 10:26 PM (#7652 - in reply to #7482)
Crew

Mike,
If memory serves me, Ingrid would only serve the maximum of TWO Swedish milkshakes per person.

Best regards,

Buff
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-09-17 10:50 PM (#7653 - in reply to #7587)

Master and Commander

Gil: Was June's a "buy me drinkee" joint inhabited by ladies of the Korean persuasion?If so, been there-done that! DOG

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-09-17 10:52 PM
Gil
Posted 2007-09-18 10:19 AM (#7662 - in reply to #7385)
Master and Commander

Mad Dog,
It sure was. Some of my shipmates and I went there before Westpac. The purpose was to get qualified to handle the "you buy me Honda no sh*t" ladies of Yokosuka. June's got torn down before the Pearl City Tavern.
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-25 7:12 PM (#8501 - in reply to #7385)

Master and Commander

Dave:Is the "Albino Swine"aka White Pig still just outside the back gate Bremerton? As I remember,it was next door to a barber shop and the bar was used as the "Waiting room".There was a hole in the wall where the barber would yell out the number of his next victim.It was always a good excuse for early liberty(gotta get a haircut chief). Slanted floor,shuffleboard table never was level,great joint!
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-25 7:12 PM (#8502 - in reply to #7385)

Master and Commander

Dave:Is the "Albino Swine"aka White Pig still just outside the back gate Bremerton? As I remember,it was next door to a barber shop and the bar was used as the "Waiting room".There was a hole in the wall where the barber would yell out the number of his next victim.It was always a good excuse for early liberty(gotta get a haircut chief). Slanted floor,shuffleboard table never was level,great joint!
PEP
Posted 2007-10-25 7:43 PM (#8509 - in reply to #8501)

Senior Crew

As I remember,it was next door to a barber shop and the bar was used as the "Waiting room".There was a hole in the wall where the barber would yell out the number of his next victim.It was always a good excuse for early liberty(gotta get a haircut chief)

Boy I think you just descrribed Guam. barbershop, bar and attached tattoo shop all in one!

PEP
dirty dave
Posted 2007-10-25 8:15 PM (#8513 - in reply to #8502)

Crew

No,Mad Dog .Every thig in that area was torn down to construct the Bremerton Gateway...sad,sad,sad.

With all the views on this thread only about five or six of us ever went into a bar!!!!What in hell happened to the blue blooded submarine sailor?

Dex,I never had the priviledge of riding a boat with you,but I know for sure we would have been running mates.

Dirty Dave...A sailor that used to frequent bars all over the world.....
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-26 3:49 AM (#8520 - in reply to #8513)

Master and Commander

Thanks Dave. Good to hear from you.You are probably right about the 5 or 6 of us, but we would have made a hell of a crew.LMAO .........BTW:Dex.ditto what Dave said!!

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-10-26 4:05 AM
Runner485
Posted 2007-10-26 5:54 AM (#8522 - in reply to #7385)

COMSUBBBS

Bells is the only one that rings my bell. However, when I first landed in NOrfolk, early '60, TAD to the USS FDR CVA42 a buddy and I would up on Main Street. WOW! What a Sodom and Gomorah, (sp). Burlesque houses, 1000 bars on the strip with 10,000 sailors reeling from door to door looking for the best beer, sweetest barmaid or whatever. One year later they bulldozed Main Street. Where did all those sailors go to after that. D&S Piers had all the bars on the strip outside Gate 2. That's where we converged.....Bell's and the ever lovely Thelma. Which just goes to show you, how gorgeous some of these barmaids became after a dozen beers. Thelma, despite all the talk about her beauty was one very unpretty woman. Ah yes, drunken sailors and the love of their lives.......
GaryKC
Posted 2007-10-26 7:33 AM (#8524 - in reply to #7385)

COMSUBBBS

This was a great floating SUBMARINE bar(ge). Guantanamo Bay, Cuba 1971

(gitmohilton75.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments gitmohilton75.jpg (43KB - 2479 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-10-26 7:44 AM (#8525 - in reply to #7385)
COMSUBBBS

Been there many times, the day it arrived and also the day they took the old one away.
Larry Smith
Posted 2007-10-26 7:02 PM (#8566 - in reply to #7414)

Senior Crew

There was a story in the local paper a few years back about that sub from the H&C Ballroom.  Some guy found it in a mountain of trash in his back yard.  How Sad!
Larry Smith
Posted 2007-10-26 9:45 PM (#8567 - in reply to #7588)

Senior Crew

The Dial Tone that I remember was in the Groton area.  It was there when I was in SubSchool in `73, but was gone when I went back in `78.  Seven Brothers was also gone by then.

I worked as doorman/bartender/janitor at the Cafe Del-Mar on Rt 12 while going through Mk 113 "C" school.  I couldn't believe I actually got paid for hanging around the place.  And as long as I tipped the waitresses, I didn't pay for drinks on my off-nights.
dirty dave
Posted 2007-10-26 9:56 PM (#8568 - in reply to #8567)

Crew

Larry,you could have worked at a high class joint....Rosey's canteena