My first Thanksgiving in the Navy
Ric
Posted 2021-11-27 3:35 PM (#101543)

Plankowner

Subject: My first Thanksgiving in the Navy

June of 1964 I enlisted in the Navy. By September I had entered my post bootcamp "A" school and had volunteered for Submarines. So as the end of November came around I was on a train heading to the East Coast and Submarine School. Thanksgiving day dawned as the train pulled into the station in Chicago. I had to change trains which even entailed changing stations. I had to take a bus from one to the other. (This is where my Sea Bag and I parted company but that is another story) After aboard the "New York Century Star Limited" (what a name) I checked my funds and decided to see what I could find that I could afford in the dining car. (I was traveling in uniform). I was seated and an older black waiter came to my table and showed me a menu. I looked and, even for 1964, things were not cheap. I slowly made my choice which was not very Thanksgiving like but what I could afford. The waiter took the order. I waited only a few minutes before the waiter came back to my table and placed a whole heaping plate of turkey and dressing and the works in front of me. He told me there was no charge and to enjoy the meal. I was shocked to say the least at the meal and to the kindness of this man who I had met for no more than 5 minutes and haven't seen since. I have never forgotten him. I wish him Happy Thanksgiving every year.

Pedro
Posted 2021-11-27 4:16 PM (#101545 - in reply to #101543)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: My first Thanksgiving in the Navy

Great story Ric. He was probably an old veteran himself to make such a kind Thanksgiving gesture to a young sailor.

Pedro
Gil
Posted 2021-11-27 11:03 PM (#101546 - in reply to #101543)
Master and Commander

Thank you for sharing that.
Runner485
Posted 2021-11-28 5:33 AM (#101548 - in reply to #101543)

COMSUBBBS

Real nice story Ric. Thanks for posting it. Hope your Thanksgiving was another one to remember.