USS WAHOO SS-238
Bob
Posted 2010-02-03 2:26 PM (#34675)
Subject: USS WAHOO SS-238

My name is Bob Johnson, RMC(SS) USN Retired. Before I retired I previously served as an Instructor at the Naval Submarine School Advanced Operations Department. During that time I was privileged to work in my off hours as a volunteer at the Submarine Museum and Library that at the time I believe was located in Morton Hall. When I had time I delved into the loss of USS Wahoo (SS-238) and decided when I had the time I'd research her loss. Since I've retired for good, I started working on a CAD/CAE profile rendering of USS Wahoo (SS-238) for donation to the Submarine Museum and Library in Groton Ct and the Bowfin Memorial. I've been researching all of the available on-line photos of the Wahoo to make the drawing as accurate as possible. I've developed a preliminary rendering of her in her Patrol 7 configuration that illustrates her with three 20MM Orelikon deck guns. What I've discovered during my research is that she was configured with a 4-inch 50 sometime around her 4th Patrol. I've been trying to find are accurate drawings of the 4-inch deck gun on the internet but have only come up with photos that fail to provide the detail, particularly the breach block mechanisim, that I need for an accurate rendering. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone here can steer me in the right direction to obtain the drawings I need.
Regards
Bob