Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "There is a touch of the pirate about every man who wears the dolphins badge" - Commander Jeff Tall, RN
NSR: Advice please, on trailering motorcycles
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2007-06-12 6:16 PM (#4506)

Admin

Subject: NSR: Advice please, on trailering motorcycles

Looking for advice on trailering two motorcycles (basically securing the bikes to the trailer). My riding buddy for my Sturgis trip has very limited time so to maximize our time there, we will trailer the bikes (yeah I know... but I have no choice) so we can drive 24/7 to get there and back. Since I've never had any interest in trailering a bike, I've never done it and don't know squat about it.

We have a more-than-heavy enough flatbed trailer with tandem axles available to us and the owner says we can punch holes in it to our delight. So, I guess we need two front wheel "chocks" and some sturdy eye bolts to hook the tie-down straps too.

Any advice on where to get quality wheel chocks for the front wheels and what type are the best buy? Any tips on strapping the hogs down (in terms of protecting paint and chrome)?

Sample wheel chock

Thanks in advance for advice.
RCK
Posted 2007-06-12 7:49 PM (#4507 - in reply to #4506)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: NSR: Advice please, on trailering motorcycles

You might visit your local motorcycle dealer and see if they can get 2 front wheel racks that you can bolt down to the trailor and some tie downs that run from the back of the bikes to eye bolts attached to the trailer. If they can't supply the gear you can visit your local machine shop and have them fabricate the front wheel racks. You can punch in "Trailering Motorcycles" into your computer and log on. They will have a picture of the rig at on of the sites that turn up.

Corabelle
Posted 2007-06-12 9:26 PM (#4512 - in reply to #4506)

COMSUBBBS

Hope your time isn't TOO limited! I may have access to a helmet.
Darrin
Posted 2007-06-14 9:05 AM (#4540 - in reply to #4506)

Great Sage of the Sea

Don't forget to get the handlebar tiedowns, they are nothing more then rachet straps with the ends designed to go over the hand grips and they get criss-crossed to hold the bike in place. Also a couple of tiedown points behind the rear wheel will allow you to run a rachet strap through the back wheel intstead of having to worry about going over the seat and scuffing your paint. BTW I pulled my buddies Harley home on a trailer with nothing but the handle bar straps and it didn't even bounce or move an inch (mustang cut him off and did just enough damage to the bike that while it could have been ridden home in first gear it was safer to put it on the trailer and go home safely). granted it was a short trip home but it made me into a believer right there that it is a good thing to buy just case.
Darrin
Posted 2007-06-14 9:06 AM (#4541 - in reply to #4506)

Great Sage of the Sea

Don't forget to get the handlebar tiedowns, they are nothing more then rachet straps with the ends designed to go over the hand grips and they get criss-crossed to hold the bike in place. Also a couple of tiedown points behind the rear wheel will allow you to run a rachet strap through the back wheel intstead of having to worry about going over the seat and scuffing your paint. BTW I pulled my buddies Harley home on a trailer with nothing but the handle bar straps and it didn't even bounce or move an inch (mustang cut him off and did just enough damage to the bike that while it could have been ridden home in first gear it was safer to put it on the trailer and go home safely). granted it was a short trip home but it made me into a believer right there that it is a good thing to buy just case.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-06-14 11:17 AM (#4548 - in reply to #4506)
COMSUBBBS

Get an 8' long 2x4 and cut it to sizes you need to block the tire and nail it to the deck of the trailer . The tiedown straps will hold everything in place. Cheap, yes. Effective, yes. The money you save can be used for more worth while things like beer and woman chasing objects.
Nice shiny tire holders? Gotta be a nuke thing.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2007-06-15 4:10 AM (#4558 - in reply to #4506)
Master and Commander

From hauling many flatbed loads to many places. When you think you have it right, shake the load hard. The trailer should move, not the load. Then add another tie down or two. Now stop after the first twenty-five miles and check everything again. Then check it about every two hundred until you are comfortable it is right. Screwed down two by fours or four by fours work well.
Keg
Posted 2007-06-15 12:55 PM (#4564 - in reply to #4506)
Mess cooking

Do NOT cover them if it is an open trailer.................
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2007-06-16 4:58 AM (#4578 - in reply to #4506)
Master and Commander

I know you are not a Lawyer or a Doctor. Or for that matter, own a Construction company. However, the folks around here with Harleys, time and money haul them on fifth wheels that have the bikes in the back, with a ramp to unload them. The front half is a nice trailer house with all the ammenities. They take them to Daytona and Sturgis. I understand that one will trailer the bikes out there, and the others will fly in on occasion. Now that is doing things right.
Don Gentry
Posted 2007-06-16 9:22 AM (#4579 - in reply to #4506)

Admin

Subject: Thanks to all...

... for the various tips! I'll post some photos down the road of what we come up with.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software