Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjoā€¯ -- Chief Officer Steward Dogan on the USS Gurnard during WWII
Subvets WWII Membership
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2007-06-16 9:25 AM (#4580)

Admin

Subject: Subvets WWII Membership

Can anyone tell me the total membership count of subvets WWII as of now? Thanks.
dad's girl
Posted 2007-06-18 9:27 PM (#4673 - in reply to #4580)
Subject: RE: Subvets WWII Membership

Doc Carter is checking this info out as I type. Will let you know what he comes up with.....if anything.
dad's girl
Warshot
Posted 2007-06-19 9:57 AM (#4685 - in reply to #4580)
WWII Sub Vet

Don,
Since they are dropping like flies everyday it's hard to get a good count.

Based on recent Conventions and Obits in Polaris, my guess would be about 3,000.

dad's girl
Posted 2007-06-19 1:43 PM (#4691 - in reply to #4580)

Don,
Doc C. says there are under 4,000.......with 25 a day passing away. It is hard to find anything to say after that news......
PaulR
Posted 2007-06-19 4:57 PM (#4693 - in reply to #4685)

Master and Commander

Warshot - 2007-06-19 10:57 AM

Don,
Since they are dropping like flies everyday it's hard to get a good count.

Based on recent Conventions and Obits in Polaris, my guess would be about 3,000.

In the latest issue of POLARIS, Bill Klein mentioned 3700 members as of this past March.
Skii
Posted 2007-06-19 11:34 PM (#4702 - in reply to #4580)

Great Sage of the Sea

I have a U.S. Submarine Vets of WWII Membership Roster sent to me in September of 2006 by John
Anderson (then doing computer input for Association) It is 67 pages long and has a total of 4,685 names
on it. I talked with Jack Richardson of Subvets of WWII and their is no recent purge membership listing
nor an actual number of members.

I used this list to locate many members of the USS STERLET (SS392) and found it to be very accurate as
of 9/20/06.

If anyone is looking for a name on it I will be happy to look at my listing and get back to you with all
the information I have -- On the list is Name, address, Rank/Rate, Qual Boat and Last Boat. E mail me
at Rjarenski@aol.com.

Ski
USS STERLET (SS392) Assn Secy
Vice Cdr White Mountain Base USSVI
PEP
Posted 2007-06-20 10:31 AM (#4709 - in reply to #4702)

Senior Crew

I cringe to ask this because I haven't corresponded or talked with him since my cancer surgery and he was 91 then.
Lou Smykels was COB on the trepang I think, Met him while driving home from work in around 81 while living in the LA area. He passed me in a real nice van that had Dolphins painted on the spare tire carrier so I followed him home. Turned out that he only lived a few blocks from me in West Covina. When I pulled into his driveway behind him this big fella got out holding a tire iron and looking like he was gonna eat me alive until I showed him my dolphins on my arm. Then in the house we went and it was like walking into a museum! He had pictures all over his den, one with CINCPACFLT ADM Nimitz personally decorating him, Man I was in awe. Then his wife "Boots" a little mexican lady with a bark than meant business brought us a beer and some mexican finger foods and we talked and drank until almost midnight! My wife was pissed when I got home and I didn't finish telling her about him and 0200! I have a letter he wrote to me 20yrs ago still that told it like I was there watching all the action during just one of his war patrols. He came north in the early 90's to visit with me and he was beginning to have some serious medical problems so I've been putting off writting to him again for fear of what I may learn.
I pray that you find his name on your rosters. Lou Smykels seems like he was an EMC(SS) I think.
PEP
Skii
Posted 2007-06-20 10:48 AM (#4710 - in reply to #4580)

Great Sage of the Sea

Pep his name is on the roster -- Louis Smeykal 130 N. Grand Ave. West Covina Ca. 91791 -- Qual boat S-18 and also on S36 - I also have from Zaba - born in 1910 - address now 137 Homrest Ave. 91791 zip- phone listed (626) 919 3672 -- hope this helps -- your prayers answered he was on list as of 9/20/06

ski
(928) 535 5405
PEP
Posted 2007-06-23 9:58 AM (#4743 - in reply to #4702)

Senior Crew

Blast from the past is an understatement. I don't know what started it but I have been procrastinating for a couple years now of getting ahold of a very dear friend who is 97yrs young at the moment, Married to the same woman for over 60yrs, her name. . . . Boots, a little mexican lady that when she barks Lou who is well over 6' tall but he listens and boy could she cook! She passed away a couple years ago and Lou saw the writing on the wall so he had an estate sale and moved into an assisted living estates 5yrs ago.
Now the story behind Lou Smykels is a bit non-normal, completely normal to a boat sailor tho. While on my way home after work with my trusty male Basset hound SPIKE at my side spied a Van up aways on the 10 freeway in Los Angeles Dolphins painted on the spare tire carrier so I did what any qualified boat sailor would do, I followed him home. When we finally turned into his driveway which happened to be 4 blocks from me in West Covina out jumps this HUGE man holding a tire iron and looking like he wants to eat me so I quickly rolled up my sleave on my left arm and showed him my Dolphins so he puts the tire iron back shakes my hand and invites SPIKE and I into his house for a beer and mexican finger foods more like a case of beer later it was almost midnight and I had to work the next AM so I left. Spent many hours talking with him until I moved back to Humboldt county. I saw him and boots in 91 I think when they drove thru on their way to a reunion. His den looked like a museum with pictures everywhere, not just pictures of boats but of Chester Nimitz decorating him personally not once but a couple times. I believe he was the COB on the trepang with short stints on Wahoo and Tang. I was so scared he'd passed away and I just didn't think I could handle more sad news so soon. But he's alive, in a wheelchair or electric cart can't hear or see worth a heck, can't walk anymore and the pisser was . . . . He was at the convention in 2000 in Reno and our paths never did cross. Crossed a whole lot of others paths but not Lou's. Surely one of my hero's!

If anyone would be so inclined to mail him good wishes, he can't write either but a couple times a week I guess they're called candy stripers who come around and read to you or write letters for you or just try to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

I'm positive Lou would just love it if he received some hang in there cards or the funnier the better, not necessarily X rated by mature is ok.

PIG I thank you senor' for the wonderful info you provided me with. I definitely owe you one on that one!
PEP
PEP
Posted 2007-06-23 10:09 AM (#4744 - in reply to #4743)

Senior Crew

forgot the most important part of this post..

Lou may be reached at:

Lou Smykels % Regent apartment
150 South Grand Ave. Apt 320
West Covina, CA. 91791

Sorry bout that

WPWforgot the most important part of this post..

Lou may be reached at:

West Covina, CA. 91791

Sorry bout that

forgot the most important part of this post..

Lou may be reached at:

West Covina, CA. 91791

Sorry bout that

WOW! still I can't believe it. He's still pretty sharp even at 97. Friend went out salmon fishing yesterday and gave me some to smoke for him so some of it will be headed down to Lou's also. We would sit out in his garage on the work benches drinking beer and fixing all the worlds problems for hours. Thankl you Ski aggain. That was some powerful medicine for me!
PEP
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software