Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Interests in submarines extends to royalty and presidents. The King of England and the King and Queen of Spain are among those who have made submerged cruises in submarines. As a result of a trip in an early United States submarine, President "Teddy" Roosevelt ordered extra compensation for personnel serving in the "Silent Service." President Harry Truman made a 440 foot dive in a captured German submarine. The first President to cruise aboard a nuclear submarine was President Eisenhower who rode the USS SEAWOLF out of Newport, Rhode Island on September 26, 1957.
To "Dad's girl"
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2007-06-17 9:11 PM (#4633)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: To "Dad's girl"

Marcy - if you've been following your post, you can see how easily "thoughts" stray! This happens frequently. A tad bit disconcerting.

Anyway, from another of the few ladies that post here, welcome aboard. We need all the representation we can get.

You're building a house? Wow, that can be a very interesting endeavor. I recently moved, and am still a long way from being settled.

My claim to belonging to Submarine Sailor is, as yours, a blood relative who was a WWII vet. My brother was a Radioman on the USS Sterlet (SS-392), sister ship to the Archerfish. Both of us posted here (he was Dakota Slim on the board) until, sadly, he shoved off on his final patrol just about a year ago. He was my brother all of my life, and I'll miss him for all the rest of it.

Again - welcome!

Cora (aka Corabelle)
dad's girl
Posted 2007-06-17 10:41 PM (#4642 - in reply to #4633)
Subject: RE: To "Dad's girl"

Corabelle,
Thank you so much for the welcome. I was beginning to think I was out of my "depth" with these guys. I have a lot to learn, obviously! Hopefully, they will bear with me. I enjoy reading all the posts when I get the chance....the building is taking up so much time. We are building outside of Red Lodge, MT. and it has always been a dream of ours. We want to get in before the snow hits!
I am sorry to hear about your brother.......I lost my dad at a young age, but miss him still. He was a hellraiser and wild as a bat, but a great dad to me. We followed him from base to base in our trailer and I can pretty much describe every place we lived by the bugs (Key West; mosquitoes.....Tenn.; big red biting ants,..... Conn.; spiders,..... etc., etc., etc.). It was an adventure and I liked it as I always knew, he would be there when we got there. All of his friends were like uncles to me.
Once again, thanks for the welcome aboard.
dad's girl
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2007-06-17 11:04 PM (#4643 - in reply to #4633)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: To "Dad's girl"

Yes, we do go "astray"...but you have to understand, as the old saying goes "everything IS relative. Sorry, Miss Cora...but you have to
catch these guys while they are still "awake", especially Blue, who is on the other side of the UNIVERSE...in Australia!

Marcy, my "claim" to the Submarine Service is two fold...my dear husband, John...who is a "nukie", served on the George Washington,
Bergall and Nautilus...and my granduncle, Vincent, who served in the early 1920's on R-9 & S-1...so now you may understand "why" I go astray...
my loyalties are split...like me...hehehe ;>)!!!

You do have a rather large task in front of you...and Miss Cora, I will be in your shoes in the "not too distant" future...a couple
of years, but I'm starting the work now...packing away those things I don't absolutely need...HOLY MOTHER...where do I put 30 years
worth of "collectibles"...AHHHH!!!

Anyway, again, WELCOME ABOARD!

Patti Lynn
Wappingers Falls, NY

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software