Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKATE (SSN 578) was the first vessel ever to surface at the North Pole, when on March 17, 1959 she surfaced there to conduct memorial services for the renowned Arctic explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins.
Back from Visit to Catch Up on Grandkids
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-06-22 7:13 PM (#4734)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Back from Visit to Catch Up on Grandkids

My Son-in-Law is a USMC JAG officer. After returning from his last tour in Iraq, he was sent to the Military Law Center in Charlottesville, Virginia to attend a year long post grad course in International Battlefield Treaty Obligation and War Crimes. He did so well in understanding the requirements and concepts, that the Marine Corps cancelled his follow-on assignment and retained him to teach the course. This means that for three years the Wrecking Crew, Andrew, Grace and The Bulldozer (aka, Calvin) will be living about a hundred and twenty miles downline. They have bought a nice home in a town called Crozet about eight or ten miles out of Charlottesville. Nice quiet town. On Tuesday afternoons and nights you can spend an enjoyable time watching old guys get haircuts...some old coot emptying parking meters...guys playing chess in the shade of an old oak tree...and the reverend of the Baptist Church change the sign to read, GOD STILL LOVES SINNERS...which should make Beeghly, Stone, Roche and other unnamed miscreants who turn up here regularly, feel better. We ate at Uncle Charlie's Bar-B-Q on the corner in downtown Crozet...Downtown, Metropolitan Crozet...(consisting of retail establishments unloading International Harvester manure spreaders, garden tools, canning supplies, two-for-the-price-of-one cartons of tampons, local papers nobody ever heard of, plumbing snakes and toilet plungers and cartons of generic brand filter tips.) I don't know if you have ever dined in a paper napkin sit down dinner estblishment with a pair of five year old twins and a recently turned four, and an aborigine of orangutan extraction but it is one helluvan experience. Never allow kids under eight to apply their own barbeque sauce...It's like giving a bucket of zinc chromate to a drunk E-3...the little bast--rds, get to laughing and it gets spread from hell-to-breakfast....It is amazing what amuses pre-schoolers. They got to making barnyard animal sounds, kicking each other under the table and laughing...blowing bubbles in their ice-tea...daring each other to take a bite out on a long green, neplam pepper...punching eye holes in their paper napkins and holding them up to peep through and giggle. It was like the Munchkins holding a Klan meeting. Their dear Mor-Mor (Norwegian for Grandmother) would be proud of them. They are full blooded red blooded American miniture wildmen (with one pint size wildwoman)...perfectly normal, physically sound, healthy crumbcrushers...Solveig would be so happy with how they turned out. Bulldozer still has to be taken into the ladies room since it would take his mastery of stilts to reach the urinals in Uncle Charlies smoked meat emporium boys room. When his dear mother hauled him into the ladies room to drain him and sandblast the residue of his dinner off the area between his ears, she took the opportunity to do what ladies do in ladies rooms, leaving Bulldozer an unsupervised opportunity to explore the contents of the hinged lid contraptions in the other two stalls in the female facility. As I understand it, he didn't discover the location of Amelia Earhardt, the Lost Dutchman Mine or any pots of leprechaun gold. Damn, it was good to see the little rascals...it's so g--dam loney without them, DEX

Warshot
Posted 2007-06-22 7:46 PM (#4737 - in reply to #4734)
WWII Sub Vet

Subject: RE: Back from Visit to Catch Up on Grandkids

Dex, Old Buddy, good to see you back. I guess I'm luckier than you with the little grandkids, they live right here in Austin. My three oldest are all grown, Engineers by profession. BTW, they were all three EAGLE SCOUTS. However they gradutated from Texas A&M so I guess that evens things out.

They (the little ones) spend the night with Gramaw and me regularly. They did last night. Mine are Ian-7. Meg-5 and Kiera-3. It's kinda like riding herd on a box of kittens. Just about the time you think you have them under control, one pops out on another tangent.

And Breakfast is a real adventure. Did you know that Catsup goes real good on Cheerios (or anything else edible). Kiera enjoys coming in my bedroom as soon as I get up and watching me "put my teeth in", she thinks it's a hoot.

They are truely a joy. My life would be very dull without them, as I'm sure yours' would be too.

Glad you're back you old coot.

crystal
Posted 2007-06-22 9:04 PM (#4739 - in reply to #4734)

Master and Commander

You old "fharts" with those young grandkids amaze me.  Hell, Millie and I are great grandparents three times over and the oldest of them is approaching double digits.  Our youngest grandkid of five graduated from high school last year!  Dex & Ron, you guys must have found the fountain of youth late in life!

BTW: Dex stay away from those "cartons of generic brand filter tips"

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-06-23 9:24 AM (#4740 - in reply to #4734)

COMSUBBBS

Chief, The last cigarette I had was 20 minutes before your phone call...I was heading out to the patio to fire up another one (The little blue eyed, metric built blonde had promised to put her Norwegian viking axe between my shoulderblades if I ever fired one up inside.) when your phone call interupted that smoke break. Your vitriolic, lava based lecture...admonition given it Chief to jerk terminology and the fact that you were the only sonuvabitch on the planet that seemed to truly give a damn, did it. The clincher was the,"Dammit Dex, you're a submariner and we can do anything we set our mind to. Don't cut down, don't buy that stupid gum, patch crap, pills, hypnotic bulls**t, voodoo spells, secret tonics or any of that "quitting crutch crap", just quit. And, I did. The inside of my lungs probably still look like the fire brick inside of a Fletcher class tin can boiler, but you've probably saved me enough wampum to spend two nights with Meg Ryan if she ever takes up commercial dual sleeping arrangements or a week at Disney World. I and those close to me will be eternally in your debt and I'm sure it got you an entry in the Makers Good Book. There are very few folks roaming around out there who have ever given a more meaningful present. Hope you read this...Great Great Grandkids??...Were you some kind of teenage pedophile or are you 105? Your Shipmate DEX
Runner485
Posted 2007-06-23 10:10 AM (#4745 - in reply to #4734)

COMSUBBBS

Good seeing ya Dex....Great thing about grandkids is you get to spoil the hell out of em....Elsie and I are headed to New York tomorrow for the HS graduation party of my only grandson who is headed to college this Sept. Since we moved to Delaware we don't get to see them as often as we would like. I do notice that the boy is getting taller everytime I see him and is now taller than I am....which ain't saying too much, but it looks like he's gonna be an abnormally tall Roche....5' 7" being the tallest anyone of us ever got.

BTW! My middle son who got married at 40 yo his wife is having a baby boy in September. So a brand new wee one who'll be named Liam and Colin, who will be in college....I'm looking forward to this 'lil rug rat's coming!
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2007-06-23 6:25 PM (#4763 - in reply to #4745)

COMSUBBBS

It is nice to have the "spinner of yarns" over in this play ground...and not all of us have young ones, grandkids, that is...me, I have four,
"Ms. Crystal", 23, who is student at local community college, "Little" Katie, to distinguish her from my daughter, Katie, is 14 and graduated from
8th grade yesterday, Thomas Jay, 13, who starts 8th grade in the fall and made JV football team already...and last but not least...is Eddie, 11, he
is our "special" one...has ADHD...but has made some wonderful strides in the last couple of years...thanks to the loving care my stepdaughter
has given him, especially in the area of medications and the proper schools. Being a nurse helps...AND NOT TAKING NO for an answer from the
"so-called" administrators for some of the schools he has been in, has also helped. So some of us "young pharts" have the older ones...but
wouldn't have missed any of it for all the tea in China.

Patti
Ron Wert
Posted 2007-06-24 4:10 PM (#4774 - in reply to #4734)
Crew

Damn! How come all you old farts have such young grand children? I've only got nine (a couple of those are step-step grand children but we count them in our family). I'm about to have my first Great Grand Child next month. My grand daughter (Step, step) hasn't let them tell her if it's a boy or a girl so I don't know if I'm going to be a Grandfather or a Grandmother. I know it sounds weird with all the step and step steps and all but its fairly normal. I got two kids with my marriage (actually the best of the seven but I'll never tell any of the others) had two of whom only one has had any kids (actually only one). Both of the Step Children had their own kids and got one or more with their marriage(s). One adopted his step-daughter (she's the one about to make me a great grandfather) and then got another in his second marriage. We adopted two older girls and the younger has given me two grand kids (one of whom we adopted). At the present time, my youngest grandchild is 10 and the adopted one is 14. Some of the women in town are really impressed that I've got a son so young at my age. Some I tell the story to, others I brag about my prowess and some I tell that I've kind of wondered about that myself. But, I love every one of my kids, and my grandkids whether they're "mine" or not. They're ALL mine.

Ron
Don Gentry
Posted 2007-06-25 10:24 AM (#4780 - in reply to #4734)

Admin

I bought my 7 yr old grandson a hockey stick and gloves. I usually have him every Sunday for 6 - 8 hours or so and sometimes we have a little kitchen hockey game (plastic, non-marking puck) much to Granny's distress. Yesterday, he asked to play so we get ready.... he gets his stick down on the "ice" and says to me, "bring it on, old man!" Felt like I laughed for an hour!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software