Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The submarine was not generally recognized as a legitimate instrument of warfare until the Civil War.
Coffee cup carriers
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2007-06-23 12:37 PM (#4749)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Coffee cup carriers

Both of the DBs I was on had them. Stainless steel tubes about two feet long with a slit for the cups handles to protrude through. The fun of maneuvering the often full, always hot and dripping tube from the AB to the top of the sail in bad winter weather at night. Those were the days, my friends.
PaulR
Posted 2007-06-23 1:00 PM (#4750 - in reply to #4749)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Coffee cup carriers

GaryKC - 2007-06-23 1:37 PM

Both of the DBs I was on had them. Stainless steel tubes about two feet long with a slit for the cups handles to protrude through. The fun of maneuvering the often full, always hot and dripping tube from the AB to the top of the sail in bad winter weather at night. Those were the days, my friends.

Never heard of such a device, but I can envision it's usefulness.

All we ever did was stack them one on top of the other and carry them cradled between one arm and body. Six to eight cups was possible depending on your sleeve length. You could get quite good at it, but your measure in each cup was somewhat limited in order to prevent spillage. Quite a challenge when you were going 80/90 and heading aft.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2007-06-23 1:36 PM (#4751 - in reply to #4749)

Master and Commander

My best was 7 cups in each hand with some moderate seas. The buggers were the WT doors. Many a coffee cup hero met his match there. Let's see, head down leg up or leg first and the rest sideways. Always a choice.
Warshot
Posted 2007-06-23 1:40 PM (#4752 - in reply to #4749)
WWII Sub Vet

HANDELS!!!!!!. You had HANDLES???????

Sissy Submarine Navy.

Bill Linne
Posted 2007-06-23 1:49 PM (#4754 - in reply to #4749)

Senior Crew

We had such a device on Sturgeon. Since it was rare to get to the bridge with anything NEAR a full cup, we took to filling cups only half full to begin with. Resulted in far less mess to clean after the fact.

Getting to your destination with .75% should have been a qual card item, I guess!

Bill
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-06-23 2:02 PM (#4757 - in reply to #4749)
COMSUBBBS

Ahhh yes, going topside while underway with a hot steaming cup of coffee. Running on 4 engines. 2 engines on charge and 2 for the "turns". You get about halfway up to the Conn when someone opens the FER WT door. You are now wearing your cup of coffee. Those were the days my friends and we thought they'd never end.
Pig
Posted 2007-06-24 11:44 AM (#4770 - in reply to #4749)
Plankowner

We had a Steward on TRUTTA back in the late 50's that solved the problem of getting a "full cup to the bridge" We had a young JO that would always leave the wardroom and go to the bridge, assume the deck, and then call down for a cup of coffee. When he received the less than full cup he would chew out the SD for not doing his job properly. The SD soon figured out that if he carried a full cup of coffee into COC, took a mouthfull before climbing to the CON, holding the coffee in his mouth while climbing to the bridge, and then spitting it back into the cup as soon as his head cleared the upper hatch... the JO got his "full cup of coffee" and the SD longer received his daily ass-chewings. I think everyone in the crew knew about this except the JO that was pleased with himself for being able to make the SD's toe the line.
Park Dallis
Posted 2007-06-25 12:00 PM (#4783 - in reply to #4770)

Old Salt

Ah, yes.

Once again, malicious compliance, the enlisted man's secret weapon.

Gotta love 'em.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software