Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Probably the most expensive ballast ever carried by a ship was two tons of gold and eighteen tons of silver coins carried by the U.S. submarine TROUT while on a trip from Corregidor to Pearl Harbor early in World War II. TROUT had removed her moveable ballast to allow for a larger cargo of ammunition to be transported for the defenders on the embattled island. Lcdr. Fenno, TROUT's CO, planned on replacing the ballast with sand bags, but found none were available. The gold and silver from the Bank of the Philippines was substituted as ballast, which also solved the problem of removing the treasure to a safe place prior to invasion by the enemy.
USS Sealion SS-315 On The Road
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2007-06-24 9:44 AM (#4767)

Master and Commander

Subject: USS Sealion SS-315 On The Road

Today's "Picture of the Day" comes from Larry Smith with these comments:

"John,  A few day ago as I was in a RV Park near here.  I noticed a painting of a WWII Submarine on the rear end. I moved a little closer and it was the old 315.  I will attempt to send you a picture, but so far I have only had bad luck with this new digital camera.  I talked to the owner, Loy Bowman, who stated the murial was there when he bought the coach.  The original owner was James H. Pulliam of Newman Ga.  Since the picture shows the Sea Lion without a snorkel, I suspect Pulliam served during WWII.  Mr. Bowman said the dealer where he bought the coach refered to Pulliam as DR. Pulliam.  - David L.Smith SN (SS)"

I didn't have a Pulliam on my Sealion records but I'll investigate further... Song to go with this?  how about "King of the Road"?  - enjoy!

http://www.usssealion.com/sealion/daily_picture.htm
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software