Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Of all the branches of men in the forces there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners." Sir Winston Churchill
GREAT Read....FROM ANNAPOLIS TO SCAPA FLOW
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-06-24 6:30 PM (#4775)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: GREAT Read....FROM ANNAPOLIS TO SCAPA FLOW

I may be real late on this one. I was given a book published by The U.S, Naval Institute titled (Did I spell that right??) FROM ANNAPOLIS TO SCAPA FLOW. Shortly before his death Capt. Edward L. Beach Jr. edited and published his father's journal of his naval career. His father, Capt. Edward L. Beach Sr. was an extraordinarily gifted writer and his unedited and unpublished manuscript of his career and his observations on the evolution of ship design, tactics, the pioneering of modern gunnery technique, historical events...Capt. Beach Sr. was often at the vortex of historical events and gives his very personal and well grounded observations on political considerations, protocol and the usage of seagoing Marines in policing our latin American neighbors. I particularly enjoyed his numerous discourses on the need for inviolate standards of honor, duty and fairness...and how our naval officer corps held those principals dear. In those days a man would sacrifice his career and even himself rather than violate the strict honor code by which our naval leadership lived. Shipboard life was far more complicated and service to ones country an honor and priviledge. Wonderful book. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the navy he served and wants to get a personal insight into the period when our navy made the transition from sail to steam, led by men any nation would be proud to call "her sons". DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software