Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS GEORGE WASHINGTON, the world's first ballistic missile nuclear powered submarine, constructed in record time, set a record of its own by remaining submerged 67 days on its initial Polaris missile deterrent patrol in the Atlantic.
USS Odax SS-484 Surfacing
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2007-06-25 10:48 AM (#4781)

Master and Commander

Subject: USS Odax SS-484 Surfacing

Date and Place of excercise unknown.  Sent in by Gary Parker from a Lt. that was on diving officer of the watch at the time.  Odax sold to Brazil circa 1972.  Song is"Trouble in Paradise" - enjoy!

http://www.usssealion.com/sealion/daily_picture.htm
crystal
Posted 2007-06-25 1:26 PM (#4784 - in reply to #4781)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: USS Odax SS-484 Surfacing

Changed the song from that dumb one that I originally posted this morning to the one I meant to put on.  This is a song by Jane Siberry called "Calling all Angels" and was the ending (theme) song from the movie "Pay It Forward"... If you watched that last scene in this movie with all the traffic snaking it's way up the hill to pay tribute - with this song playing in the background and you didn't get a little choked up, you had better go get a feeling checkup!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-06-25 1:59 PM (#4785 - in reply to #4781)
COMSUBBBS

This picture of the Odax must be dated prior to the 60's. Odax had the Guppy III conversion(rounded bow) when I reported aboard the summer of '62 in the Chasn Shipyard. During that overhaul the Odax got the fiberglas clamshell super structure and N. Atlantic sail.
GaryKC
Posted 2007-06-25 2:19 PM (#4787 - in reply to #4781)

COMSUBBBS

This is what the Lt. sent me with the pic.

Thanks for the pix. In return, I'll share an official Navy photo of Odax surfacing at at 25-degree up angle between an aircraft carrier in the foreground and a destroyer in the background, in the summer of 1970. We were somewhere in the Norwegian Sea or the North Sea at the time. Again, I was diving officer for this maneuver.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-06-25 4:11 PM (#4788 - in reply to #4781)
COMSUBBBS

That picture does appear on the Odax website and right alongside of that picture is another with Odax going in the opposite direction titled Odax Diving, only this time it has a guppyIII bow.
Any way, thanks for the info, Gary.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software