Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Alright gentlemen up and at it...Rub-a-Dub Dub, let's scrub up the F***ing sub!" - Garnett Curtis, COB, USS Phoenix
Take time to think about this
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-08-06 10:08 AM (#6195)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Take time to think about this

There are folks out there who give of themselves because of a sense of stewardship with this wonderful country, a feeling of intense pride in taking unbelievable risk on behalf of the public they serve and an inner sense of meeting civic obligation. Firefighters and Law enforcement officials. As children we learned in school that firemen and policemen were our friends. We could go to either one when we were lost, hurt or scared. They were a haven for the bullied...protectors of the weak and the young and innocent...saviors of the imperiled and folks trapped in emergency situations. They were kind to children...If you went to a fire station, they took you to the second floor and boosted you up to the shiny fire pole and let you slide down the pole to be caught in the arms of another one of your heroes...They let you climb up on the big La France fire engine with a firemans' hat on...a hat so big you took five steps before the damn thing moved...They gave you a Sparky the FireDog comic book and a fire prevention checklist to take home to your Mother....Once a year Fire Chief Dan MaGill came to school and told you a lot of stuff about overloaded wall circuits, oily rags, using baking soda to put out grease fires in skillets....fireworks safety ( something every East Tennessee knothead prompty forgot around every 4th of July) and he always ended emphasizing how important it was not to PLAY WITH MATCHES on your road to personal maturity. We all knew how brave a fireman had to be....back then they were called Firemen, the term FireFighter which more aptly describes what they do, came later. Every kid wanted to be a fireman, police officer, a cowboy, fighter pilot or a Marine serving with John Wayne at Iwo Jima. As we grew older, an noticed that firemen and police officers consistently had really goodlooking brides, that got tossed into the mix. It's a damn shame that it took 9-11 to focus our attention on what we, the general public, owe the fine men and women who answer the station bell EVERY TIME for the most noble of reasons, the saving of life and property. Men and women who don rubber coats and boots, put on their scarred, scraped, dinged and dented helmets...slip into a respirator harness and tank...grab a big axe and come get you. Just knowing they are several blocks away perfecting chili recipes that require the person partaking of the resulting chili to purchase asbestos Fruit-of-the-Looms to keep from incinerating chair seats...Several blocks away courageous men and women stand ready and alert to come get you. Law enforcement officers, same way...As society has become more prone to illegal activity...narcotics....proliferation of professional criminal activity, gang related violence and the recent addition to the inventory, Islamic inspired fanatics...Law enforcvement officers have gone from a role of civic caretaker to first line combatants on behalf of us, the law abiding citizens. They have become the keeper of the keys to the kingdom and the men and women who go forth to identify the dragons of today's society and capture or slay them....They and they alone have taken sole ownership in "Insuring domestic tranquility" and standing sentry over our wellbeing while we and our young ones, sleep. They are the silent, unobtrusive public servants....who come forth to be recognized in Pentagon and Twin Towers emergencies, Andrew, Cherleston and Katrina disasters, Air crashes, Railroad derailments, Auto accidents and when bridges fall into the water below....Then like the cycle of the ciccada they return out of sight and unfortunately "out of mind" until the next major event that focuses public attention on these extremely brave men and women. Several regulars on this BOARD are either current paid or volunteer firefighters and law enforcement officers, retired career professional fighters and officers...deputies, auxillary, fill-in, back-up or otherwise protectors of public safety, personnel. I for one want to take time to thank you....When driving down MD Route 228 several weeks ago, I smelled that odor that accompanies house fire smoke...that,"somebody just lost all their earthly gear" smell. At a point the police stopped traffic....and a fellow without a helmet and a soot blackened face, was rolling up his hose....I yelled,"Wouldn't want to have your job." He yelled back "It's not a job...It's a joint brotherhood meeting...Three companies put this one out." From a member of the Undersea Brotherhood to the members of the Brotherhood of Firefighters and Law Enforcement Officers...wherever you are....THANKS, DEX
GaryKC
Posted 2007-08-06 12:15 PM (#6201 - in reply to #6195)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Take time to think about this

Again, Well Said, Dex. One very good boob tube show is "Rescue Me" about the NYFD. What impresses me are the scenes shot at the firehouse in the galley, veterans giving other vets crap, always giving the nubees a hard time, it's the modern day After Battery. A current "Band of Brothers".
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-08-06 3:40 PM (#6206 - in reply to #6195)

COMSUBBBS

Gary...I'm in the hospital with cardiac overload because of that photo of your fishing buddy you posted. Blew three "O" rings, lifted my sentinal valve and turned my globe reducer inside out....then I went blind...my toenails turned black...and fell off and high pressure steam vapor came out of my bellybutton. DEX
GaryKC
Posted 2007-08-06 4:41 PM (#6211 - in reply to #6195)

COMSUBBBS

DEX, I'm glad you don't need an EMT, you might want to look at the "new qualified sub sailor" post. Laughter is a healing kinda thing, I keep 20 on my keyring.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software