Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I don't know why we have to be down here on this hold down exercise(at the 60th hour). Hell, I went through this on the Thresher (SS 200) during WW ll with a Nip Sea Going Tug hooked onto our screw guards, trying to lift our butts out of the water. They didn't get us then, and these Tin Cans (ours) ain't going to get us now." -- "Hambone" Hamilton SD1 (SS). "Hambone" made 13 war patrols on USS Remora, SS-487, uttered these words in July 1957 during a hold down exercise off Kobe Japan.
Sirago's shipmates
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2017-02-26 5:50 AM (#82508)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Sirago's shipmates

Sirago is losing many of our older shipmates. Shipmates rest your oars. Hand Salute.

Robert Elbel Hook from the 45-48 Duty Section passed away April 27, 2016.He served on Sirago as an RM2c 1945-48.Sailor, rest your oar.

============================================================================
Julius E. “Jerry” Brooks from the 45-48 Duty Section passed away February 17, 2015.  An obituary is below.  

He served on Sirago as an F2 in 1947.  He also served on Requin.

Sailor, rest your oar.

BROOKS, Julius E.

Julius E. Brooks Jr (Jerry), 86, of Branford, CT, died on February 17, following a brief illness. He was born on August 26, 1928 in East Haven, CT, to the late Julius E. Brooks Sr. and Harriet Waterbury Coe Brooks. Jerry was predeceased by his wife, Barbara Jean Vaill Brooks and survived by his sons Alan (Cynthia) of Branford, CT and Michael (Trina) of Homer, AK, grandchildren Sarah Kutsev of Wasilla, AK and Marina Brooks of Homer, AK, and great-grandchildren Dimitri, Justin, Mia and Lucas. He was predeceased by brother Nelson and sisters Beverly Sanford, Jane Jenkin and Carolyn King. Jerry was a long-time resident of both Branford, CT and Arcadia. A veteran of the U. S. Navy, Jerry served in USS Requin, SS-481. A senior research designer, he retired from Winchester/Olin/US Repeating Arms in 1984. He was a member of Church of the Transfiguration in Arcadia. His passions included railroads, old movies, building stone walls, woodworking and road trips.

John C. Langford from the 45-48 Duty Section passed away November 20, 2016.  An obituary is below.

John served on Sirago as an Ensign 1946-47.

Sailor, rest your oar

John Clyburn Langford Sr. (1924 - 2016)

Obituary
5 entries 
  • "To Ms. Susan & The Langford Family I will forever remember..."
    - Cassandra 
The Guest Book is expired.

John Clyburn Langford, Sr., 92, passed away on Sunday, November 20, 2016 at his home in York.

A graveside service will be held at 2:00 PM on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at Rose Hill Cemetery with Rev. John Muse officiating. The family will receive friends following the service from 3 - 5 PM at the home of son, William Langford, 119 Sutton Springs Road, York.

John was born May 22, 1924 in Camden, SC to the late John Robert Langford, Sr. and Margaret Taylor Boineau. He was a graduate of the United States Naval Academy and The University of South Carolina School of Law. He was retired from Honeywell, was a Kershaw County Magistrate and the City of York Judge. He was an Elder at First Presbyterian Church in York and Sunday School teacher. John also was a member of the York Rotary Club and the Crustbreakers Club of York. 

He is survived by his wife Susan Inman Langford, children; Sally Langford Dievendorf (Gerry), Stephen Clyburn Langford (Annette), William Monroe Langford (Jennifer), John Clyburn Landford, Jr. (Donna), grandchildren; Catherine Hardy, Alexandra Nocilo, Margaret Battle, Sarah Langford, Taylor Langford, John Robert Langford, II, Erin Langford, great grandchildren; Annabelle Nocilo, Scarlett Hardy, and Bailey Battle, sister Mary Sue Graham, and brother Robert Faile Langford.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to First Presbyterian Church, 10 W Liberty Street, York, S

Sirago Plankowner Patrick Francis “Frank” Kramer passed away August 8, 2016.  An obituary is below.

Frank served on Sirago as a RM2c 1945-46.

(255, 255, 255);" class="">PATRICK F. KRAMER

(255, 255, 255);" class="">Mr. Patrick F. Kramer, 93, of Weston, CT and husband of the late Jane (Barth) Kramer passed away on Sunday August 21, 2016 in Norwalk Hospital.

(255, 255, 255);" class="">Patrick was born in New York City on March 8, 1923. He was in US Navy and was a veteran of WWII. Patrick was a retired New York City Firefighter and lived in Crestwood for thirty years and then Lakehurst, NY for twenty five years before moving to Weston, CT.

(255, 255, 255);" class="">Patrick is survived by one son, Thomas F. Kramer and his wife Margot of Weston CT. six grandchildren and eleven great grand children.
PaulR
Posted 2017-02-26 7:17 AM (#82509 - in reply to #82508)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Sirago's shipmates

HAND SALUTE to our SHIPMATES.
Gil
Posted 2017-02-26 1:28 PM (#82514 - in reply to #82508)
Master and Commander

Joe.
Did you know a Mustang on Sirago, when I knew him he was Lt. Vic Peters on the Pickerel.  He had come off of Sirago to the Pickerel.  I think he attended all their reunions.  He was the most admired officer I ever served with.  He could have played the Burt Lancaster role in Run Silent Run Deep.
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2017-02-26 7:22 PM (#82518 - in reply to #82514)

Great Sage of the Sea

Gil, I knew Vic from WestPac when I was in Gudgeon. I think either in Subic or Yoko. Dick Helm went from us to Pickerel
Gil
Posted 2017-02-26 10:00 PM (#82521 - in reply to #82508)
Master and Commander

Mr. Peters was with us in Westpac 1/68, and Dick Helm came on board about  12/68 a few weeks after my discharge when the Boat was in dry dock at Hunters Point. My buddy that joined the Navy when I did went to the Wahoo or Gudgeon, his name was Bob Kingery, and I lost all contact with him when we got out.  I never met Dick, but I kept in contact with him as he was trying to make a crew's list that he never completed maybe six or eight years ago.

Mr. Peters and Dick came to the Pickerel reunion  in K.C. (I did not), and I kept in contact with him for a while.  He owned a company in Washington (state) involved in nuclear energy at the time.

Nobody could trim the Pickerel as quickly as Mr. Peters could.  I had more confidence with him in the Conn than the skipper.

Edited by Gil 2017-02-26 10:16 PM
Runner485
Posted 2017-02-27 6:06 AM (#82524 - in reply to #82521)

COMSUBBBS

I checked the listing I have for all our crew that ever served on Sirago, TAD or otherwise and we only have a Bernard Peters listed...it showed him as a Cdr and CO of Sirago in the late '50's...
Gil
Posted 2017-02-27 9:55 AM (#82530 - in reply to #82508)
Master and Commander

No, his name was Vic Peters.  Maybe CRS has a bigger hold on me than I thought?  He sent me a message that he retired 1/09, but not sure from where.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software