Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A submarine, the TURTLE, was employed by the American revolutionary army to attack the British. It was built by David Bushnell at Saybrook, Connecticut, just a few miles from the present site of Electric Boat Division of the General Dynamics Corporation, and the U.S. Naval Submarine Base.
Scapa Flow
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

steamboat
Posted 2017-03-16 1:30 PM (#82623)
Master and Commander

Subject: Scapa Flow

Pedro,
Since I will be visiting Scotland this summer, I was wondering if there is any Naval museum boats/ships at Scapa Flow or other Scot ports that a "foreigner" could visit?

Steamboat sends
Pedro
Posted 2017-03-16 5:49 PM (#82625 - in reply to #82623)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Scapa Flow

Steamboat,

I have never been to Scapa Flow, which is on the island of Hoy in the Orkney Islands group, but I understand there is a comprehensive naval museum in situ there. This is quite a hop from mainland Scotland but I imagine it would be an interesting part of any holiday in getting there. Alternatively, there is the Royal Navy Dockyard in Rosyth on Scotland's east coast where a lot of RN shipbuilding is still in progress. It is also home to seven decommissioned nuclear boats that are still awaiting disposal. Lastly, there is HMS Neptune the main operational RN submarine base at Faslane on the River Clyde. This is a short train ride from Glasgow and during summer the weather is as good as it gets in the UK.

Security there will naturally be of the highest status so I am not sure if visits from the public are on their agenda. You can try this site for Neptune where there is a facility to e-mail them for such information, they do not divulge their e-mail address but it will be routed to them no doubt. I will forward you the latest newsletter of the West of Scotland branch of the Submariners Association by e-mail. This may provide more info and hopefully people you can contact who know these areas and bases better than I do.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/welfare/find-help/support-search?loc=&opt=community_centres_and_houses

Yours Aye

Pedro
Pedro
Posted 2017-03-16 10:10 PM (#82627 - in reply to #82625)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Scapa Flow

Steamboat,

I have been having fun and games with a few e-mails to you being returned as undelivered for whatever reason. Now I am not sure which ones you did receive, if any, so I will start over with the info. As promised I sent recent newsletter of the West of Scotland branch of the Submariners Association which I hope you received in PDF format. The idea being that there were contacts in there that might assist you in arranging stuff to see while you were over here. If you didn't get it I will look at other ways and means of getting it to you.

The Chairman of the branch is Jim McMaster who is a mate of mine and he is a good hand. He would be more than happy to suggest or help you organise trips to places of interest and would I'm sure, organise a social get together of local submarine vets and their families to tie in with your visit and itinerary. His e-mail address is below so send him a message with your plans and he will be more than happy to make your visit that little more memorable for you.

jim.mcmaster2@ntlworld.com

Regards

Pedro
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software