Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SEAWOLF join the Electric Boat built USS NAUTILUS and SKATE in writing new chapters in the achievements of man when the nuclear powered submarine came to the surface at 11:45 a.m. on October 6, 1958 after being continuously submerged for 60 days.
One for Pedro
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

rover177
Posted 2017-07-05 2:14 PM (#84366)
Master and Commander

Subject: One for Pedro

On the classic movie channel yesterday, The Vikings with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis. Of course Ragnor!

The theme song immediately brought back memories of Odin and "... to make it safe for snorting." Something about winds and tides but can't remember more. Almost 45 years ago now.
Please help.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-07-05 3:13 PM (#84367 - in reply to #84366)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: One for Pedro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BpxwBgGyQ0
Ric
Posted 2017-07-05 3:14 PM (#84368 - in reply to #84366)

Plankowner

Dex would have been ecstatic.... ODIN, ODIN........ http://www.olgoat.com/substuff/dex33.htm

Speaking of Dex:
Here are his ditties: http://www.olgoat.com/substuff/abr.htm
Pedro
Posted 2017-07-06 9:28 PM (#84375 - in reply to #84366)

COMSUBBBS

Chris,

That was the scene in the movie where Tony Curtis's character was chained in a crab pool as punishment for some offence or other. I think the crabs had begun to nip at him and with the water being freezing he called out to Odin, "Odin! Send a wind to turn the tide." To which the crew of Odin instantly added the line you mentioned, "to make it safe for snorting." Like you say a long time ago, she was a happy boat when I was on her for her first two commissions with a great crew - all of them were crackers and suitable cases for mental treatment, according to the skipper lol.

Pedro
rover177
Posted 2017-07-08 2:23 PM (#84384 - in reply to #84366)
Master and Commander

Many Thanks.
My initial Ragnor was (then) Lcdr R Toby Frere. He was followed by (then) Lcdr G Tim Swales.
Only saw glimpses of the movie but will track it down.
The Long Ships will be showing in a few days time.
AtoZ
Posted 2017-07-08 3:38 PM (#84386 - in reply to #84366)

Great Sage of the Sea

Just a coupla common errors.

First there were no Vikings they were Norse or, in English Northmen, They were Scandinavian farmers and fisherman who, adter the crops were in and the fishing season over got into there dragon boats and went Viking. That is sailing around looking for new lands to loot or settle in, Hence Norway, Normandy and the Norman invasions. Their most famous quote was: "What are you talking about, we are simple farmers and fisherman. When we got here the men were dead, the houses burning and all the women were pregnant".

One of the more famous groups were the Russ, who frequently crossed the North Sea to harass the Scots. If any of you old timers remember Paul Russ, he was very proud of his Scottish heritage, he was quite upset when he found out it was Norse. At another time the Russ went North Eat though the Baltic to the end and went ashore. They liked the area so much they decided to settle there and eventually founded a country - Russia.

BTW how do you think Hungary got its name? Atilla the Hun was from there.
Holland Club
Posted 2017-07-08 5:02 PM (#84387 - in reply to #84386)

Master and Commander

Thanks for the prodding to get out there and learn something. Due to your posting, I got over the grade school definition and thoughts about Vikings. Googled it and spent a pleasant half hour reading up on the dudes. Cool.

Just shows how much there is to learn and how little we know.
PaulR
Posted 2017-07-09 6:24 AM (#84390 - in reply to #84386)

Master and Commander

AtoZ - 2017-07-08 6:38 PMJust a coupla common errors.First there were no Vikings they were Norse or, in English Northmen, They were Scandinavian farmers and fisherman who, adter the crops were in and the fishing season over got into there dragon boats and went Viking. That is sailing around looking for new lands to loot or settle in, Hence Norway, Normandy and the Norman invasions. Their most famous quote was: "What are you talking about, we are simple farmers and fisherman. When we got here the men were dead, the houses burning and all the women were pregnant".One of the more famous groups were the Russ, who frequently crossed the North Sea to harass the Scots. If any of you old timers remember Paul Russ, he was very proud of his Scottish heritage, he was quite upset when he found out it was Norse. At another time the Russ went North Eat though the Baltic to the end and went ashore. They liked the area so much they decided to settle there and eventually founded a country - Russia.BTW how do you think Hungary got its name? Atilla the Hun was from there.

ROGER THAT, except I found " The RUS" not "RUSS".  Good history lesson Steve.  RUSS..you were probably thinking of RUSS & DAUGHTERS.

Edited by PaulR 2017-07-09 6:32 AM
Runner485
Posted 2017-07-09 7:01 AM (#84391 - in reply to #84390)

COMSUBBBS

Paul,
Steve's history lesson is so accurate because he lived it...Something to do with his age...or not!
rover177
Posted 2017-07-22 8:40 PM (#84501 - in reply to #84366)
Master and Commander

Another One for Pedro.
A mate and I have a morning walk of just over 4 Km. The first 100 m is flat and then a modest hill. Not a FBH like Old Baldy of the Port Moresby HHH annual run but steep enough to consider changing stride for the not so fit. On some mornings I will mentally hum a tune - With Cat-like Tread or Lily the Pink to help 'lessen' the climb. The walk takes a smidgen over 36 minutes.

Lily the Pink fits very well as a marching song (as does 'Truce to navigation' etc). While looking at The Irish Rovers version, there was also a video link to a UK town/village march. The band was absolutely dreadful! A group of well-retired ex-serviceman were assisted by the 2IC when he burst into Lily the Pink. The whole squad was singing in seconds. The band eventually managed to acquire the marching beat but the heroes were "the Pinks."

Don't know if you are familiar with that clip but I would like to see it again and i think our US brethren would be similarly impressed.
One could not state it was a platoon of submariners but they were very impressive; could possibly win Britain's Got Talent.
Pedro
Posted 2017-07-23 10:56 AM (#84504 - in reply to #84501)

COMSUBBBS

Chris,

Here is a post of mine from 2013. I doubt any of this group were submariners but mostly Royal Navy Reservists. You are correct in saying there was a video of this made on the day, but exactly where you would find it I don't know. I will check with a couple of guys who were on that march and see if I can come up with anything for you.

The Singing Platoon

At last weekends Battle of the Atlantic commemoration following the service at Liverpool Cathedral there was a parade and march past of veterans of the Royal and Merchant Navies and the ships companies of various visiting warships. The march was led by the Royal Marines Band but for those marching some 400 yards behind the band the music soon became out of earshot for those in the rear ranks.

Amongst them was a platoon of the HMS Eaglet Old Boys Association who became concerned about keeping time so they decided to make their own music to the amusement and delight of the huge crowds of spectators. Under the instruction of their own parade CPO they commenced singing a medley of tunes to keep in cadence. They broke into “Yellow Submarine”, “Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag”, “It’s a Long Way to Tipperary”, “Lily The Pink” and the singing of numerous other popular old WWII songs. This also solved the keeping in time problem for the marching units of men and women to their front and rear who could no longer hear the RM band.

The response from the cheering crowds was deafening in its approval of this piece of entertaining innovation and typical Liverpool humour from the Old and Bold lads of HMS Eaglet. Suffice to say after that, the Parade Marshal, a RN Chief Gunnery Instructor tore up his order of parade sheet and threw it away in disgust.

I myself am not on Facebook but I am reliably informed that the singing platoon was videoed and it is available to view on that site. Just try punching in “Battle of the Atlantic 2013” or just “Singing Platoon.”

PS: Although the above songs will be familiar to most, "Lily the Pink" by the group Scaffold may not be in the U.S.- so see below for clip of same song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuP1JvOhNlA

Pedro

Edited by Pedro 2013-06-03 8:51 AM
rover177
Posted 2017-07-24 6:09 PM (#84518 - in reply to #84366)
Master and Commander

Not on Facebook either and have no intention of opening an account. SWMBO has an account but no idea what it is.
Had a walk on Sunday afternoon - new walk between a couple of the northern suburbs beaches round trip - 4 to 5 Km.
This morning's walk was quite pleasant; breeze was light for a change. The windchill factor did not bring the equivalent to anywhere near 0 C (32 F).

The tunes still helped to get the job done.
Pedro
Posted 2017-07-25 8:58 AM (#84522 - in reply to #84518)

COMSUBBBS

Chris,

Maybe you could sweet-talk ( not too hard for a sun dodger to do) SWMBO into finding it on Face-ache so you could at least view it. Good luck with that one mate lol.

Pedro
rover177
Posted 2017-10-31 1:11 PM (#86492 - in reply to #84366)
Master and Commander

Pedro.
You indicated you were in SM4 at one stage. HMS Taciturn (I think) visited Port Kembla shortly before returning to UK. Were you a member of the Ship's Company? Early 1969 I was a cadet at Jervis Bay.
I'm surprised the wharf at HMAS Penguin was used as long as it was, the surge in Middle Harbour can be quite strong.
Pedro
Posted 2017-10-31 2:57 PM (#86494 - in reply to #86492)

COMSUBBBS

Chris,

I was on HMS Tabard for my two years with SM 4 from March 10 1964. I know the exact date because the Queen had just given birth to Prince Eddie the day I joined. This meant we got to Splice the Mainbrace (double tot issue) and a make-and-mend (a half day off) to celebrate the babies arrival and wet his head. We even got our photos raising our glasses to make the toast in the Sydney Morning Herald the next day. This was a great start to joining what turned out to be a very happy boat with a wonderful crew of total nut cases. Happy days and hard to believe that was 53 years ago.

Pedro
rover177
Posted 2017-11-01 1:06 PM (#86504 - in reply to #84366)
Master and Commander

50 years ago just rolls off the tongue. 18 year olds thinking that people of 30 are virtually old and decrepit. "The Age" is one of our (now) very badly written newspapers.
Pedro
Posted 2017-11-01 7:56 PM (#86510 - in reply to #86504)

COMSUBBBS

Chris,

Ah! yes, the incredible arrogance of youth. It conveniently ignored the fact that those older than us were those who had survived WWII patrols, and were now endowing us with the benefit of their invaluable experiences and knowledge during our training. It was only after national heroes such as, Ian Fraser VC, Tommy Gould VC, and James Magennis VC, addressed our classes that the penny finally dropped. That alongside these Submarine Service Victoria Cross holders we were still punks (a good American word,) who had a lot to learn and a need to acquire respect for those who had valiantly gone before us. It did achieve the objective of taking the vinegar out of us, making us want to improve and become proficient in our trade and to hopefully walk in the footsteps of the mighty.

Pedro
MAD DOG
Posted 2017-11-02 6:56 AM (#86512 - in reply to #84518)

Master and Commander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_S4kTDuk5k
Gil
Posted 2017-11-02 11:18 AM (#86513 - in reply to #84367)
Master and Commander

The trivia and goofs from the movie are interesting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052365/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Bob Mahon
Posted 2017-11-02 7:27 PM (#86518 - in reply to #84366)

Great Sage of the Sea

Very interesting.
I seem to recall the theme music of this but I'll watch it to see if I remember correctly.
A great flick from my young years and watched it at the 303 Drive-in in NY a long, long time ago.

Thanks for the memories.......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software