Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Beeman Center at Sub Base Pearl Harbor was named for Arthur C Beeman, PhMC aboard the USS AMBERJACK (SS-219) on 4-Feb-43 - He was killed while the sub was engaged in a in gun action with a Japanese ammo ship..
Sunday Obits
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2017-07-09 8:51 PM (#84393)
Plankowner

Subject: Sunday Obits

Not a member SVWWII (database #17170)
ANTONELLIS Gabriel (n), 94, of Nashua, NH, formerly of Billerica, MA, died Tuesday, July 4, 2017, at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center. He was born in Boston, MA September 28, 1922 a son of the late Vincent and Josephine (Cioppa) Antonellis, and lived in Billerica for over 60 years before moving to Nashua three years ago. Mr. Antonellis served in the US Navy during WW II aboard the submarine USS Pomfret (SS-391) [SM3/Plankowner, 1st Patrol] home based in Pearl Harbor, Submarine Base Midway Island, and Submarine Base Pearl Harbor. He was as a Signalman Second Class when released by the Navy in 1946. He was the recipient of the World War II Victory Medal, American Area Medal, Asiatic Pacific Medal, and Good Conduct Medal. Mr. Antonellis worked for many years as an Electrician for the Raytheon Corp. in Bedford, MA, and was a life member of the Woburn Sportsman Club. He is survived by two sons James Antonellis (Virginia) of Londonderry, NH and Paul Antonellis (partner Michael Edwards) of E. Sandwich; three daughters, Carol Ross of N. Ft. Meyers, FL, Dorothy DeCoste (Robert of Hudson, NH), and Elizabeth McCarthy (Paul) of Hudson, NH; as well as eight grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren. He was the beloved husband of the late Alice M. (Rosetti) Antonellis [died 1/15/2009]; brother of the late Pasquale and Paul Antonellis, and father-in-law of the late James Ross. A Graveside Service will be held Saturday, July 15, at the Fox Hill Cemetery, 130 Andover Rd., Billerica at 11 a.m. Relatives and friends respectfully invited. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Funeral Director Dean M. Laurendeau. www.sweeneymemorialfh.com. Published in Lowell Sun on July 9, 2017

SVWWII-L-13379 (Lockwood Chapter)
DAVIS, Leland Stuart, Jr., 97, passed away in Seattle on June 28, 2017. He was born February 7, 1920 in Bend, Oregon to Leland and Vera Davis. On January 12, 1942 he joined the Navy and became a Chief Radio Technician aboard the submarine USS Seadragon (SS-194) which fought during WWII in the Pacific. While in the service he married Elaine Murray, and that was a marriage that would last for the next 73 years. When the war ended he went to work for the railroad and eventually took over as a senior freight estimator from his father who held that position. Stu retired from the railroad in 1980 and started a life of traveling around the country in motor homes with his wife by his side. They went through three progressively larger motor homes until they had to stop because of his failing vision. Stu had no relatives that survived him and was preceded in death by his wife two years earlier. In failing health he managed to remain at home with wonderful caretakers making his life as pleasant as possible. He will be missed by them and the many friends he made during his fifty plus years in Seattle. A graveside service will be held at 11:00 am on the 12th of July at Forest Lawn Funeral Home in West Seattle. Published in The Seattle Times on July 9, 2017

-----
The following man enlisted in Allentown/ PA 9/9/1943. He went to Boot Camp at USNTS Sampson, NY; NavTechTraCtr, Navy Pier, Chicago; S/M Base NLon; SubAdmin Mare Island, CA; San Pedro CA. He reported to Sub Base Pearl Harbor from Sub Base NL for Temp Duty on 6/9/44. At that time he was a Fireman Fist Class, USNR-Submarine Volunteer [not graduate]. He was transferred to US Naval Hospital Aiea Heights 7/30/44 and was discharged 12/8/44. I shere these facts in case you have questions as to why he is not included in the Eternal Patrol File or any other records of SVWWII (which he is not). Three hours of research through the National Archives records; solid facts.

I’m not throwing rocks at him, unless he is the one that wrote this Obit; then I am.

RADVON, Walter (n), 89, died peacefully on July 2, 2017, in DeLand, Florida. He was born April 20, 1928, in Palmerton, Pennsylvania, to parents, the late Nicholas and Ester (Stenack) Radvon. Mr. Radvon served his country honorably in the Navy during World War II as a diesel mechanic, aboard a submarine in the Pacific Theater. Following his service, Mr. Radvon graduated from college, and became a pioneer in the cable television industry, starting his career in television's earliest days. He served as a manager for several cable companies across the northeast. His work took him from Pennsylvania to New Hampshire and Maine, before settling in Massachusetts, where he held the title of Chief Engineer for Adams-Russell Cable, and later Cable Vision. He retired in 1990 and moved to Florida. Mr. Radvon enjoyed fishing, mechanics, gardening, wine making, flea markets, and numerous other hobbies. He possessed a kind and generous spirit and earned a reputation as a popular and beloved neighbor, friend, coworker, husband, father, and grandfather. His sense of humor and charm left nearly all who met him with a smile. Walter is survived by his children, Walter, Rick, and Robin, and numerous grandchildren and great--grandchildren. He is preceded in death by his wife Joan (nee Greitzer), sister Elizabeth "Betty" Ferris, and brother, Nicholas Radvon. Graveside Funeral Services will be held on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:00 p.m., at Towamensing Cemetery, 3rd and Fireline Road, Palmerton, PA 18071. Arrangements are by Campton Funeral Home, Inc., 525 Delaware Avenue, Palmerton, PA 18071. Online condolences may be left at www.schislerfuneralhomes.com. Contributions may be left in his memory to the charity of one's choice. Published in Sentinel & Enterprise on July 9, 2017

-----
On a more positive note... the following man was not in submarines, but he was a decorated veteran and a Hero in his own time; and his father was in submarines (I met him). I include this obit out of respect for his dad… who celebrated his (own) 16th birthday, and the rest of World War II in a Jap POW Camp after surviving the loss of USS Grenadier (SS-210). Al wrote two books about his time as a slave labor in the copper mines while he was an unwilling guest of the enemy. They were two of the most prized books I had in my collection when I passed it on. If you can find either of them, I urge you to read “Threshold of Hell” and “Beyond the Threshold of Hell”. They are both hard to put down. Neither is a “fun read”… but if you believe in our Dolphin Brotherhood … then I suggest they are both a “must read.”

• Albert Ross Rupp, 66, of Bonita Springs, FL went to be with the Lord on the morning of Thursday, July 6, 2017, in Naples, Florida. Ross was a decorated Special Forces Soldier serving in Vietnam, had a long, successful career in construction and loved the ocean. He was a surfer, avid reader and loved his family. Ross was a long-time Bonita resident of thirty years. He was preceded in death by his father, Albert John Rupp a World War II Submarine Veteran and his spirited, loving mother, Margaret Rupp. Ross is survived by his courageous wife of 44 years, Michele, his Son Albert Michael, Daughter Liberty, Sister Maryann and Grandchildren Melanie Rupp, Mason Roets and Eric Roets. Special thanks and gratitude to the committed staff of the Miami Veteran Administration Hospital and Landmark Hospital of Naples for taking care of Ross for so many months. Ross will be laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia at a future date. Romans 8:38-39 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. 1 Thessalonians 5:9-11 For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. Published in Naples Daily News on July 9, 2017

SKAGGS, Hershel E., II, 53, passed away Tuesday, July 4, 2017 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Cremation has taken place. A graveside service is scheduled for 3:30 PM, Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at Carlsbad Cemetery, Carlsbad, New Mexico with Pastor Jimmy Tarvin officiating. Carlsbad Veterans Honor Guard will provide military honors. Denton-Wood Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements. Hershel E. Skaggs, II, was born October 17, 1963 in Carlsbad, NM to Hershel Elvin and Katherine Marcine (Pointer) Skaggs, Sr. He joined the US Navy where he worked as a mechanic on submarines. Hershel later moved to Albuquerque, where he worked for the VA as a clerk. He was preceded in death by his father, Hershel Elvin Skaggs. Survivors are his mother, Kathy Skaggs Nymeyer of Carlsbad, NM and sisters: Terry Mendes and Deb Torres and husband, Albert, all of Indiana. Condolences may be expressed at dentonwood.com Published in Carlsbad Current-Argus on July 9, 2017

SUTHERLAND, Elvin L., Jr., or Smokey as he was known to friends and family, of Canton, passed away on July 6, 2017 at Aultman Hospital. Smokey was born on Aug. 22, 1932 in Summerfield, Ohio, the first son of Elvin and Ethel (Orr) Sutherland. He grew up surrounded by loving family, and often reminisced about his adventures in Noble County. Smokey proudly served his country in the United States Navy as a Quartermaster Seaman on the submarine USS Guavina (AOSS-362). He often referred to this time of his life and the men he served with - many veterans of World War II - as providing many of his finest memories. He graduated from The Ohio State University, worked as a Certified Public Accountant, and taught at Walsh University as a professor for many years. While teaching at Walsh, he formed lasting friendships with many of the Brothers of Christian Instruction, especially Brother Joseph Power, his mentor and friend. Smokey had many interests; he enjoyed attending the Shakespeare Festival in Stratford, Canada; traveling to Chios, Greece with his Greek friends from the Massillon area, playing golf, solving crossword puzzles, reading, beating family members at Jeopardy, and greeting friends with a hearty, “Yasou!” This much-loved, witty and generous father, brother, uncle, and friend will be deeply missed by his daughter, Julia (Barry) Finn; brother, Jack (Joyce) Sutherland; nieces, Cathleen (Michael) Billig and Beth (Michael) Robinette; nephew, Jeff (Denise) Sutherland; 10 great-nieces and nephews, and extended family, Lois (Mark) Bixby, and Sam (Sue) Murphy and their sons, Noah and Michael. He was preceded in death by his parents; his daughter, Rebecca Sutherland, and his loving companion, Lois Murphy. Private graveside services for Smokey will be held in the future. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, friends remember Smokey fondly. Published in The Repository from July 9 to July 10, 2017
Don Gentry
Posted 2019-11-15 7:04 PM (#96262 - in reply to #84393)

Admin

Subject: RE: Sunday Obits

I am bringing this old post back to life as I was just contacted by Walter Radvon's grandson Erik.  He has been researching his grandfather and it occurred to me that I no longer have any SVWWII contacts.

So I am asking for help from you guys on what the current sources of WWII subvet info are??  I am positive Erik would be most appreciative and it would be good to spread that news around once again.

Fire away gents with anything that might be helpful.

Note that Pig's post referenced a newspaper as a source and I found that and sent it to Erik.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!
Doc Gardner
Posted 2019-11-16 6:38 AM (#96264 - in reply to #96262)

Master and Commander

Don.
Check your email. I sent you a SVWWII CONTACT.
Ric
Posted 2019-11-16 7:57 AM (#96265 - in reply to #96262)

Plankowner

sent you 2 emails.
Pig
Posted 2019-11-16 3:02 PM (#96270 - in reply to #84393)
Plankowner

I still maintain the National Database for SVWWII . Work on it every day, for hours... love doing it. All deceased SVWWII members that I am aware of are posted on the USSVI Eternal Patrol Web Site. The obits I post here each day are the results of a constant search for deceased members.

As of today there are 745 living members of SVWWII and 16,609 verified on Eternal Patrol in my database... all posted on the USSVI site. If you can't locate them ask somebody from USSVI to help find them. I can't help with that. I know the information is there, but to find it is way above my skill level. It's no wonder people doing research on family members that have no knowledge of the submarine community can't find it.

Before the comments start please understand - know that there are many many more WWII Submarine Veterans than there were members of the organization SVWWII; just as there are many many more US Submarine Veterans than there are members of USSVI.

As always I welcome all the help I can get with updating any of this information. It you get information about a WWII Sub Vet crossing the bar, I would appreciate your sharing it with me.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2019-11-17 5:34 AM (#96271 - in reply to #96270)
COMSUBBBS

Ken/"Pig", I for one really do appreciate all that you do for us and those that have departed on Eternal Patrol. You have helped me a bunch of times with those crew members of the USS Sennet SS-408 who have departed.
I forward your information on to the crew members of the Sennet and they do appreciate it greatly.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers!!
Ric
Posted 2019-11-17 9:37 AM (#96272 - in reply to #96270)

Plankowner

Ken, I know this is true that many WW II men did not join because even my own cousin, Loyal Day, was never a member of SVWWII. If I remember correctly, he was member of the American Legion. He took me there for Bloody Mary's after a night out for "recovery" back in 1969 while I rode Cusk for a couple of weeks. The only time I ever met him before he passed away.

Don Gentry
Posted 2019-11-17 9:54 AM (#96273 - in reply to #96270)

Admin

Thanks Ken - a very noble task sir!  I hope you will continue to remind us of that once in a while as the fading memory thing... well... you know!

Thanks Ric and Doc - I have passed on the info you sent via email.

And as always, thanks for your constant attention to those that have passed Mr. Henry!!

Don
Pig
Posted 2019-11-17 10:14 AM (#96276 - in reply to #84393)
Plankowner

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks to all the boat record keepers like Ralph that continue to send me information. I was only truing to make sure that besides the daily obits, I am a ready-source for SVWWII information. Those guys need to be remembered!
Ric
Posted 2019-11-17 11:23 AM (#96277 - in reply to #96276)

Plankowner

Ken, you have been doing a marvelous task with little thanks. Thank you Ken!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software