Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Among the 'first' that Electric Boat Division has introduced into American submarines, have been the marine Diesel engine, the perfected use of the storage battery, the combination of battery and internal combustion engine, and the world's first adaptation of nuclear energy to propulsion in the USS NAUTILUS.
Where were you 48 years ago today
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2017-07-20 7:16 AM (#84468)

Plankowner

Subject: Where were you 48 years ago today

July 20, 1969 man landed on the moon.
I was sitting in the after battery of the reserve submarine Bowfin on Lake Union in Seattle listening to the landing. I got home in-time that afternoon to take Polaroids of the moon walk off the TV screen, Still have those pictures,
In this photo both astronauts can be seen. One with back to camera just to left of center and another just to the right of the flag.

I know they don't look like much but it was live TV and a Polaroid camera and I was watching it happen.
PaulR
Posted 2017-07-20 7:47 AM (#84469 - in reply to #84468)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Where were you 48 years ago today

He stepped on the moon surface @ 2300 EDT & I watched on TV early the next morning while dressing for work.
Sure was an exciting era.  Having been working in the microelectronics industry for a few years after the NAVY made it much more personal.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-07-20 8:09 AM (#84470 - in reply to #84468)

COMSUBBBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJH3R5JW0eY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I792XUcLsdI

Edited by GaryKC 2017-07-20 8:14 AM
geno
Posted 2017-07-20 4:51 PM (#84475 - in reply to #84468)
Old Salt

I was a junior in high school in San Antonio. Summer break so we were working at the pool for about $1.00 an hour for spending money.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2017-07-20 4:57 PM (#84476 - in reply to #84468)

Master and Commander

They forgot to turn off one of the studio lights....
yuk, yuk, yuk.....
Blue *_*
Holland Club
Posted 2017-07-20 5:49 PM (#84477 - in reply to #84468)

Master and Commander

Doing pre startup training and testing at Nuke plant.
Yep " the Eagle had landed". I had 'Eagle 1 ' for a car license for years to honor the occasion.
Ron
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2017-07-20 7:29 PM (#84478 - in reply to #84468)
Master and Commander

I was home for the weekend from C School in Damneck, VA. My girlfriend and I were having drinks in a place called Chumley's Pub and watched it on TV.

(the girlfriend is my wife)
Gil
Posted 2017-07-20 10:18 PM (#84479 - in reply to #84468)
Master and Commander

The company I retired from made the descent engine.  It was STL then, but later became TRW.
steamboat
Posted 2017-07-21 4:14 AM (#84481 - in reply to #84468)
Master and Commander

I was attending Northern Michigan university. 5 years out of Navy. Working for National Park Service that summer as a seasonal Ranger.

Steamboat sends
Doc Gardner
Posted 2017-07-21 5:06 AM (#84482 - in reply to #84468)

Master and Commander

White Hat Club in Ardnadam (Holy Loch) Scotland watching it on a black and white television. They kept the club open but stopped serving drinks so we could watch the historic event. Couple of days later we departed for ...................
Tom McNulty
Posted 2017-07-21 7:00 AM (#84484 - in reply to #84468)

Master and Commander

With two guy holding me up at the Acey/Deucy club in Ardenadam. Unlike the Doc we just came off patrol and we were making up for lost time. Yes, black and white and a bit out of focus (not due to the booze). I was the MT1SS with Gene Johnson TM1SS and Jim Lindsay TM1SS.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2017-07-21 8:17 AM (#84487 - in reply to #84479)

Master and Commander

Gil - 2017-07-21 5:18 AM

The company I retired from made the descent engine.  It was STL then, but later became TRW.

Space Technology Labs? Was that somewhere near LAX? TRW was originally Thompson Ramo-Woolridge, located on Arbor Vitae Avenue, again near LAX, and right across the street from my old junior high school.

I was 24, 1-1/2 years out of the Navy, working for 3M Company in California. Probably watched it on a small B&W television at home.

Jon

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2017-07-21 8:22 AM
Pedro
Posted 2017-07-21 8:48 AM (#84488 - in reply to #84484)

COMSUBBBS

The night they landed on the moon was the last time I ever drove after having had a drink. I was home on leave and my shipmate Terry was staying at my place as his parents were on holiday in Spain. My kid brother had loaned us his car for the evening and after a few sherbets yours truly managed to hit a road sign island driving home. The front end was wrecked, the sump cracked and it cost me a fortune in repairs teaching me an expensive but valuable lifelong lesson.

The comments on the old black and white TVs made me laugh. I recall staying a weekend in a transit mess at Royal Naval Barracks in Portsmouth. It was full of drunken sailors, cigarette smoke, and with the smell of farts and sweaty feet, you could have cut the haze with a knife. They had a TV set in one corner of the mess, well it was more like a flickering box that was desperately in need of tuning.

Occasionally this drunken halfwit would get and start violently slapping the set thinking this futile action would solve the reception problem. In the end a small wiry Ordinary Seaman went over to the set and after making adjustments got a decent picture. The loudmouthed halfwit then started attacking the OS because he was smarter than he was. Not only was the OS smarter, he wasn't drunk, and much quicker on his feet. After ducking a few wild swings thrown by the halfwit, he decked him with a nice combination of punches. What had they all been trying to watch? A kids programme called " The Magic Roundabout." But that's just sailor's for you I guess.

Pedro
Ric
Posted 2017-07-21 9:27 AM (#84490 - in reply to #84488)

Plankowner

It wouldn't have mattered if you'd had the best color TV in the world. The landing broadcast cameras from the moon were Black and White. It wasn't until Apollo 12 that it was done in color.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2017-07-21 3:09 PM (#84494 - in reply to #84488)

Master and Commander

Pedro - 2017-07-22 12:48 AM  What had they all been trying to watch? A kids programme called " The Magic Roundabout." But that's just sailor's for you I guess.Pedro
'Boing' said Zebedee......
Wow that brings back a few memories Pedro! 
Blue *_*

Tom Conlon
Posted 2017-07-21 6:48 PM (#84495 - in reply to #84468)
Old Salt

At sea on patrol "somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean." Read about it on a yellow TTY sheet provided by Radio in Crew's Rec space (Lower Level OPs compartment) while waiting for evening chow. (Dunno why I remember specifics. LOL)
Gil
Posted 2017-07-22 6:41 AM (#84497 - in reply to #84487)
Master and Commander

JrKrup, Skimmer - 2017-07-21 8:17 AM
Gil - 2017-07-21 5:18 AMThe company I retired from made the descent engine.  It was STL then, but later became TRW.
Space Technology Labs? Was that somewhere near LAX? TRW was originally Thompson Ramo-Woolridge, located on Arbor Vitae Avenue, again near LAX, and right across the street from my old junior high school. I was 24, 1-1/2 years out of the Navy, working for 3M Company in California. Probably watched it on a small B&W television at home. Jon

Yep.  The main building had a Thor missile in a launch position in front of it and was near Aviation and Redondo Beach Blvd, but there were other buildings in the area - if my memory is correct.  Arbor Vitae and TRW were important because an old boss at TRW use to take us to an Italian restaurant that he had discovered while working in the area.

Simon Ramo and Dean Woolridge originally worked as engineers for Hughes Aircraft.  When they left they needed financing and Thompson of the auto industry supplied that. Unfortunately in 2002 Northrop acquired us and the country club/college campus atmosphere we appreciated came to an end.
Runner485
Posted 2017-07-24 11:48 AM (#84514 - in reply to #84468)

COMSUBBBS

We were over my friends house in Long Island City, a small apartment, gathered around an even smaller tv drinking beer and being amazed that this was actually happening and we were watching it live...The kids were little and could care less...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software