Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
Sunday Obits
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2017-07-23 2:52 PM (#84506)
Plankowner

Subject: Sunday Obits

SMITH, Herbert, Jr., 87, of Staten Island, N.Y., passed away on July 21, 2017, surrounded by his family. A lifelong resident of both West Brighton and Tompkinsville, he was a graduate of McKee High School, Staten Island, and The Academy of Advanced Traffic in Manhattan. During the Korean War, Herb served in the submarine branch of the US Navy on the USS Spikefish (SS-404). He was very proud of his service to his country. Herb owned and operated the Smith Bros. Express, Inc., trucking company in Tompkinsville, with his late father, Herbert Sr., and brother, Gerald F. (Dick), for over 40 years. Smith Bros. Express, Inc. was a Staten Island family-owned business for more than 75 years. After retiring, Herb worked for several years as a driver for Villa Marin GMC. He was also an avid member of the Freemasons, the Disabled American Veterans, the Delta Nu Fraternity in Staten Island, and a parishioner of St. Mary's Episcopal Church for more than 35 years. Every summer since he was a little boy, Herb went to his family's summer home in Wellfleet, Cape Cod, Mass. This was a haven for him throughout his life. In Herb's spare time, you could find him watching the birds and enjoying his time with his family. He also enjoyed playing the slot machines, whether it was in Las Vegas, at Mohegan Sun, or in Atlantic City. Herb is survived by his two daughters, Susan E. Smith and Kim E. Yarns; five grandchildren, Herbert Smith IV, Matthew A. Smith, Corinne M. Yarns, Theodore N. Yarns, and William F. Yarns; his brother, Gerald F. (Dick) Smith; his daughter-in-law, Barbara G. Smith; his son-in-law, Jeffrey A. Yarns; his granddaughter-in-law, Rachel Smith; his grandson-in-law, Luis Garcia; and two great-grandchildren, Jack N. Smith and Riley E. Smith. Herb was predeceased by his wife of 40 years, the late Elsie E. Smith (nee Ryan); his son, Herbert Smith III; and his granddaughter, Noami R. Yarns. Services will be held at Harmon Funeral Home, 571 Forest Ave., today,- Sunday, July 23, and Monday, July 24, from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. His Mass will be held on Tuesday, July 25, at St. Mary's Episcopal Church, 347 Davis Ave., at 10 a.m., with an interment to follow at Moravian Cemetery, 2205 Richmond Rd. In lieu of flowers, donations to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., would be appreciated. Published in Staten Island Advance on July 23, 2017

MEYER, John J., III, passed away peacefully at his home in San Mateo Saturday Jul. 15, 2017, after a valiant battle with cancer. John was born in San Francisco to Joseph and Helen Meyer on Nov. 2, 1932. He lived most of his youth throughout Northern California and settled in St. Helena. After he graduated high school, he married his high school sweetheart Jacquline Soito, his wife of 53 years. John served in the US Navy for 2 years as a submariner. After serving, John moved to San Mateo to pursue a career in firefighting. For many years, John was promoted through the ranks and retired as the Assistant Fire Chief of San Mateo, in 1986 after 32 years of service. Some of Johns' many interests were NASCAR, antique cars, travelling and genealogy. He was a member of the Santa Clara Model T Ford Club. John and his first wife Jacqui travelled extensively throughout the United States and Europe in their Model T. John had found his soulmate in 2013 when he married his current wife, Caryl Russo. They enjoyed a cross-country motorhome trip from Florida to California. Boy, the stories John could tell about his trips and his life. "Did I ever tell you the time?" Your stories will be missed pop. John was never idle and was a devoted husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather and a great friend to many. He is survived by his spouse Caryl Meyer; sons: John J. Meyer IV (Dorothy) & Jason L. Meyer (Julia); 5 grandchildren; and 3 loving great-granddaughters. Vigil service will be held from 2-5pm on Wednesday, July 26th at Sneider & Sullivan & O'Connell's Funeral Home, 977 S. El Camino Real, San Mateo, CA. Graveside service will be held at 12pm on Thursday, July 27th at Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery, 2121 Spring St., St. Helena, CA. In lieu of flowers, consider donations to Special Olympics or the American Cancer Society. View the online memorial for John J. Meyer III Published in San Jose Mercury News/San Mateo County Times on July 23, 2017

PUBLOW, David George, MD, 77, passed from this life to whatever comes next on July 18, 2017, after a long struggle with ALS. He died peacefully, with a smile on his face. He loved his family, his calling as a physician, singing, making people laugh, and sometimes golf. David was born on February 11, 1940 in Niagara Falls, NY, the second son of Walter and Vera Publow of Lewiston, NY. He grew up in Lewiston with his older brother Andy, graduated Lewiston-Porter High School and then attended the University of Rochester where he received his AB in 1961. While at Rochester, David was pre-Med, but also majored in English, was a member of Psi Upsilon Fraternity, and was active in dramatics and musical comedy, both as a writer/director and performer. Best of all, it was at Rochester where he met Johanna Kessler, the love of his life. They married in 1962 after her graduation. Dr. Publow received his MD degree from SUNY Buffalo in 1965, then joined the U.S. Navy and served his internship at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, VA. He volunteered for the submarine service, and later became the Medical Officer of the Polaris submarine USS George Washington. He would subsequently make two patrols, being submerged for sixty days each time as a member of the Gold Crew. After serving on the George Washington, Dr. Publow taught General Medicine in New London, CT for a year, preparing Navy Corpsmen going on submarines or to Vietnam. From 1968 to 1973, Dr. Publow completed a five-year Residency Training in the specialty of Orthopedic Surgery at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester NY. By that point, David and Johanna had started a family--daughter Andrea and son David. After Residency, the Publows moved to Bedford, NH. David established a solo practice in Orthopedics in nearby Manchester, which he continued until his retirement in 2011. Though "solo," Dr. Publow maintained a close and collegial relationship with fellow Orthopedic Surgeons Jack Sherwin, Dick Hockman, Dennis Wachs, and Bill Rix, and later with Mark Piscopo and Mary Lee Sole. Although primarily practicing at the Elliot Hospital, he also was on staff at Sacred Heart and later Catholic Medical Center, all in Manchester. In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Publow always felt a strong responsibility to be involved in the governance affecting the practice of medicine. He served on many Elliot committees including chairing the Orthopedic Department for nine years, chairing the Medical Education Committee when they established an ongoing continuing education program, and being on the Executive Committee for several prolonged periods. He was also named to the Board of Directors of the Elliot Hospital, and to its parent organization, then Optima Health. In that capacity, he was the first physician to be selected to chair a committee of the Board-a singular honor. Farther afield, Dr. Publow was a member of the NH Medical Society and a past president of the NH Orthopedic Society. He served two terms as a member of the Medical Subcommittee of the Board of Registration in Medicine and was a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons as well as other Orthopedic Societies. At the community level, Dr. Publow served on the Board of Directors of the YMCA, the Manchester Country Club, and multiple terms on the Board of the Manchester Choral Society (MCS). He also joined his wife, Johanna, in singing enthusiastically as a member of the MCS for over thirty years, performing in China, Ireland, Israel, most of Europe, and, most recently, Colombia, South America. Above all, Dr. Publow loved his family. He is survived by Johanna, his wife of 55years; son David C. Publow of Troy, NY; daughter Andrea J. Publow, her husband, Jedias Perago of Richmond VA, and favorite granddaughter Isabella Perago. He also leaves his brother, Andrew G. Publow, and his wife Alice of Rochester, NY, brother-in-law, Rev. Charles W. Kessler of Dorchester, MA, brother-in-law, Donald P. Kessler and his wife Rachel Day of Davis, CA and numerous nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents, both of whom had passed by the time David was twenty-two. Special thanks to his many caregivers, including the Dartmouth ALS Clinic, the Manchester VA Hospital team--especially the palliative care unit--VNA hospice, and Elliot Hospital led by Dr. Ken Thomas. And, the best of them all, David's wife Johanna: "I asked too much of her, and she gave it willingly." Services: Calling hours will be held on Monday July 24, 2017 from 4-7 pm at Goodwin Funeral Home & Cremation Services, 607 Chestnut Street, Manchester, NH. A Celebration of David's life will be held on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 2 pm at Bethany Covenant Church, 1 Covenant Way, Bedford, NH 03110. Interment will be held privately. In lieu of flowers, please make contribution to the ALS Association of Northern New England, if desired. Please visit www.goodwinfh.com to sign the online guest book. Dr. Publow asked that his epitaph read: "To love, to laugh, to sing, to cry is to live." Published in Union Leader on July 23, 2017
Dantini
Posted 2017-07-23 4:40 PM (#84507 - in reply to #84506)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Sunday Obits

pig - Did you make a post last year about Bill Patterson aka "Pargo Bill' passing away?  I don't remember seeing anything listed about him.  Most of us didn't know he has passed on.  John Clear has a copy of his obit.  My hat is off to you for all the effort you put in these posts.
Ric
Posted 2017-07-23 8:11 PM (#84508 - in reply to #84507)

Plankowner

I wasn't aware of that but I no longer frequent Ron's page.
Pig
Posted 2017-07-24 3:14 PM (#84516 - in reply to #84506)
Plankowner

No... 1st I have heard about it.

I haven't visited Ron's board since he told us years ago during one of his rants that he didn't care if everybody left the board but Jim C. ... he could still ask questions, and Jim would answer them... he didn't need any of the rest of us.

Sometimes I'm a slow learner, but in this case I only had to be told once.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-07-24 4:12 PM (#84517 - in reply to #84506)

COMSUBBBS

I'd heard Pargo Bill had died about a year ago, he helped me with video files for my Tusk website in 2008 and 2010, we emailed often back then. I checked then and now for an online obit, none I can find until Crystal's recent post http://mcwanefamily.com/book-of-memories/2443995/Patterson-Sr-William/service-details.php

Edited by GaryKC 2017-07-24 8:14 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software