Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In a fraction of a second they are projected into eternity and will never possess a final resting home.They have graves without bodies, they are an exceptional breed of people....It is of utmost pride to me to have met these men, those lords that I salute, praise and admire. - Winston Churchill on Clearance Divers September 1944
Seattle heat wave
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2017-08-02 7:30 AM (#84577)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Seattle heat wave

I Hope that Ric and Gentry and all our shipmates are keeping a low profile for the heat that I read about this morning that hit the Seattle area. It mentioned that many homes are without air conditioning. I guess that's because it, (AC) hasn't gotten all the way out west yet??
Ric
Posted 2017-08-02 7:58 AM (#84578 - in reply to #84577)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Seattle heat wave

Joe
Thanks but why spend all that money for one or two days a year?
You open the doors and windows and turn on a few fans and sit in the shade.
Seattle, et al, is right on he water and temps are typically cooler on the water and there is almost always a breeze or wind up or down the sound. It is about 8 AM and 72 degrees and all the windows are open.
100 degree temps are unusual around here but not at all common like midwest and east coast.
Now as to where the ugly slut lives in the mountains around Black Diamond it may be a tad tougher.

addendum: Cars and driving; The difference is when in the car with Ms Bumps the car is buttoned up and AC is going. When in the car alone the windows are down and I forget the AC is even there. Rolling the windows down is called NW AC. Only the advent of so many people coming from out of state and they complaining there was no AC in houses/cars has turned the norm around here. Now I understand, from being other parts of the country that AC is very much in need but, really, around here, no.

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-08-02 8:56 AM (#84579 - in reply to #84577)
Master and Commander

You leave your windows open around here, you better have a couple of bad dogs and a shotgun. Every year we go around and give other senior citizens fans if they don't have AC. Problem is they are afraid to open windows and doors to correctly use the fan. Every year we have some get heat stroke because the house was just too hot. Made a few ice chest AC units for some that can get ice. Meals on wheels delivers a meal and four blocks of ice to one ninety year old everyday at 2 PM. Dumps the water and refills the cooler. The ice the driver gets for free. 
AtoZ
Posted 2017-08-02 10:08 AM (#84580 - in reply to #84577)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ric,

FYI Ms. Bumps is correct, you get significantly better gas mileage with the windows closed and the AC on. Give her credit when credit is due.
Ric
Posted 2017-08-02 10:16 AM (#84581 - in reply to #84580)

Plankowner

Depends on the car and what speed you are driving.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-08-02 10:44 AM (#84582 - in reply to #84577)

COMSUBBBS

Hey man, don't you dudes have water pipes and legal over the counter mental air conditioning, like you know, man, wow, dude, like, far out! Peace man.
Ric
Posted 2017-08-02 10:47 AM (#84583 - in reply to #84582)

Plankowner

We got lots of things but we ain't gonna tell you....man
GaryKC
Posted 2017-08-02 10:58 AM (#84584 - in reply to #84577)

COMSUBBBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGJvzwKqg0
Ric
Posted 2017-08-02 4:51 PM (#84588 - in reply to #84577)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Seattle heat wave ...take 2

Why so much smoke in Seattle from B.C. wildfires? ‘Nature’s air conditioning’ is broken, weather service says

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/weather/why-so-much-smoke-from-b-c-fires-natures-air-conditioning-is-broken-weather-service-says/

Canadian fire blocking the sun.... read the link.

This is the hotest time of day here, 5:PM and it is only 90 at the house.

Holland Club
Posted 2017-08-02 5:29 PM (#84589 - in reply to #84588)

Master and Commander

Looking at a balmy 73.6 @ 1928, couple hundred yards from Lake Michigan, little breeze, just right.
Don Gentry
Posted 2017-08-07 4:46 PM (#84621 - in reply to #84578)

Admin

And all this time Ric you've been telling us you don't "do Windows"

(and yer ugly too!!)
Runner485
Posted 2017-08-08 9:37 AM (#84627 - in reply to #84589)

COMSUBBBS

Holland Club - 2017-08-02 8:29 PMLooking at a balmy 73.6 @ 1928, couple hundred yards from Lake Michigan, little breeze, just right.

Sounds real nice Ron...Oh wait, Lake Michigan? Winter coming soon...Hmmnn -73 might be more like it come January with a balmy breeze blowing off the Lake...Good thing you have the experience of being a Blue Nose, might come in handy
Ric
Posted 2017-08-08 9:54 AM (#84628 - in reply to #84577)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Seattle heat wave... updated

Just so folks know we are back down into normal ranges for Aug meaning in the mid 70's to low 80's sometimes.
Life is good.
steamboat
Posted 2017-08-09 12:33 PM (#84632 - in reply to #84577)
Master and Commander

When I lived in The Dalles, Oregon (1974-76)which is on the Columbia River, East slope of Cascades, it often got over 100f in summer. We did not need AC, however, since the humidity at that temp would be about 10 % or less. As soon as the sun went down temperatures cooled significantly. We opened the windows at night, closed during day, trapping cool air in. Thus naturally cooled air Other neat thing about living there at that time was that there were 2 power companies in town, thus competition kept consumer cost down. We paid about .01 cent / kilowatt!

Steamboat sends
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-08-09 2:56 PM (#84633 - in reply to #84577)
Master and Commander

How many of you remember the whole house fans? You opened the windows at night and fired that monster fan in the ceiling up. Then adjusted it's louvers so the curtains weren't standing straight out. Used to cool the house off quickly at night, and made sleeping great with a nice breeze. Had to slow it down if rain came, because it would suck rain right through the screen. I think ours was at least four feet in diameter.

Runner485
Posted 2017-08-10 1:47 PM (#84648 - in reply to #84633)

COMSUBBBS

Walt we called them attic fans and they really worked well. Opened the windows downstairs turned on the fan...sucked out all the hot air and pulled in the cool night air.
steamboat
Posted 2017-08-11 1:40 PM (#84651 - in reply to #84633)
Master and Commander

Remember whole house fans? I designed and built the house I am living in now in 1984. First thing I insisted on was a basement, second was windows in every room, 2 in some, and a whole-house fan over hallway. I am located in hot and humid Southside Virginia where it is quite sweltering in summer, but quite pleasant in spring and fall if you can provide adequate ventilation in the house.
This has nothing to do with the thread of this post, but the contractor who built this house, with the help of myself and one other carpenter, passed away last week. His handiwork can be seen all over this area, but my house was the first he did around here.

Steamboat sends
rover177
Posted 2017-08-12 11:00 PM (#84673 - in reply to #84577)
Master and Commander

Re attic fan.
reminded me of the A frame real estate office in Big Bear, CA. Female agent (Shelley) had the top level all to herself and had a fan put into the almost peak of the roof. Door or window open down the bottom and that hot air went away very quickly. There was even some hot air in winter - wonder where it came from?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software