Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In 1921, a United States submarine, the R-14, having run out of fuel at sea while looking for the missing tug USS Conestoga, rigged sails from blankets and hammocks sewn together. Bunk frames were used for yardarms and booms. The torpedo loading king post for a fore mast, the torpedo loading boom for a mizzen mast and the telescoping radio mast, for the main mast. The R-14 sailed 100 miles in five days to the port of Hilo, T.H. at a speed of two knots. It has been reported in March 2016 that the Conestoga has been located 3 miles off Southeast Farallon Island, probably sinking with-in a day of leaving port. All hands lost.
Guam
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2017-08-09 10:48 PM (#84636)
Master and Commander

Subject: Guam

I saw a report on what the military has at Guam.  I didn't see any Boomers, besides fast attacks wasn't there some at one time on Guam?  It was funny for me to see the pictures of Andersen Air Force base without seeing B-52s. 

The B-1 brings me bad memories.  I thought I was set for a career job at Rockwell until Carter cancelled the B-1 bomber.  It made perfect sense to me after Lockheed did a study of their survivability, or lack there of if B-1's were to attack the then Soviet Union.

Edited by Gil 2017-08-10 7:12 AM
mike652
Posted 2017-08-10 4:05 AM (#84637 - in reply to #84636)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Guam

Boomers left Guam long ago as the Ohio class replaced them. Guam was transformed into a fast attack base.
steamboat
Posted 2017-08-10 8:06 AM (#84642 - in reply to #84636)
Master and Commander

Gil, I always thought that B-52's and B-1's were expendable during a Soviet strike. I used to live close to SAC base in Michigan UP. Very strange to see those monoliths coming in for landing after their daily patrol to the North Pole and back.
Oh, wait, I don't think the B-1 came along until after the Soviet collapse?

Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2017-08-10 8:08 AM
Gil
Posted 2017-08-11 11:56 AM (#84650 - in reply to #84636)
Master and Commander

Maybe so, but the B-52's lasted so long - like the F-4 it was join and you can fly the plane your grandfather flew.  Also the the B-1 was modified so many times that by the time it became operational in the 80's it barely resembled the original concept.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software