Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Will let them go by . . . they are only heavy cruisers!” -- USS Dace Captain Claggett after viewing what appeared to be a full task force, and cruisers, with an apparent battleship following behind the cruisers
Silver or Gold Dolphins
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2017-08-13 5:31 AM (#84676)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Silver or Gold Dolphins

Guys

I know of two guys that were CPO's and were promoted to Warrant officer. The question I have is this. Does the individual who is promoted have to re-qualify for gold dolphins or do his silver dolphins stay in place as part of his uniform. Or does he have an option for either or.

I posted this on Rontini's BBS also.

mike652
Posted 2017-08-13 6:23 AM (#84677 - in reply to #84676)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Silver or Gold Dolphins

A Warrant Officer has to complete office qualifications for Gold Dolphins. That is if he is ever assigned to a submarine, which I believe they have not been since the early seventies.
The Silver Dolphins remain part of the uniform absent any other qualifications for anorther warfare device. In between 113 school and Sub School I worked for two Warrants who wore Silver Dolphins. I later worked for one of them, who by then had been promoted to LT., at SSF NLon; he still wore Silver Dolphins.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-08-13 6:35 AM (#84678 - in reply to #84676)

COMSUBBBS

Depends on the administrations monarchs mindset on whether trans-dolphins can serve at all.
Ric
Posted 2017-08-13 7:31 AM (#84679 - in reply to #84676)

Plankowner

They have to requalify for the gold. They can still wear the Silver. Different requirements involved.
We had a chief make Warrant while in new construction. We were serving lunches for the officers in the barge's wardroom at that time. Never seen a more uncomfortable person in my life as that guy as sat at that table for his first and welcoming lunch. Since we had no Warrant billets he soon left the boat. Can't even remember his name any more sorry to say.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-08-13 8:26 AM (#84680 - in reply to #84676)
Master and Commander

Aren't there different types of qualification for an Officer? I seem to recollect being qualified EOOW, OOD and DOW involved in there somewhere? Depending upon assignment. I believe the CHOP had to be qualified Chief of the Watch and Diving Officer, Nukes EOOW and OOD. Of course my memory could be wrong. 
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2017-08-13 9:27 AM (#84681 - in reply to #84676)
Master and Commander

I worked with a newly minted Weapons Dept. Lieutenant on the tender who had silver dolphins. He had been an enlisted nuke ET(SS) who went to college via the NESEP program. When he came out as an Ensign he elected to change his calling to Polaris missiles and torpedoes. So, some hands on training time was involved. He told me he was waiting for orders back to boats so he could qualify for gold dolphins and continue his career.

mike652
Posted 2017-08-13 9:40 AM (#84682 - in reply to #84680)
Great Sage of the Sea

Yes officer quals were different. If one was nuclear trained he went through ship systems (like enlisted), EOOW, OOD (surfaced) and OOD (submerged). DOW was included but rarely stood. Then the CO interviewed, a CO from another boat interviewed and final board by Squadron. If he was a non-nuke line office he did not have to go through the EOOW quals. Supply officers had to learn ship systems and qual DOW to earn his Supply Corps Dolphins.
Ric
Posted 2017-08-13 10:17 AM (#84683 - in reply to #84682)

Plankowner

Also, officer had to write a "paper" basically a Masters Thesis on some aspect of submarines and it was read and defended just like a collage paper would be. I watched a number of nonqual officers go through this in the wardroom and the Captain asking them how their papers were coming and over all just keeping their noses to the grindstone to get qualified.
Bob T
Posted 2017-08-13 2:46 PM (#84688 - in reply to #84676)

Senior Crew

Had an MM make warrant, his promotion came about while we were on patrol, USS Sam Rayburn. No room in the officer's quarters. Didn't belong in enlisted quarters, Goat Locker wouldn't take him. Spent the rest of the patrol bunking on the examining table in the Doc Shack in the missile compartment. Somebody put a sign on the door "Warrant Officer Quarters."
Doc Gardner
Posted 2017-08-13 5:40 PM (#84691 - in reply to #84688)

Master and Commander

Bob T - 2017-08-13 4:46 PM

Had an MM make warrant, his promotion came about while we were on patrol, USS Sam Rayburn. No room in the officer's quarters. Didn't belong in enlisted quarters, Goat Locker wouldn't take him. Spent the rest of the patrol bunking on the examining table in the Doc Shack in the missile compartment. Somebody put a sign on the door "Warrant Officer Quarters."

I'd have tossed him out. It was MY sick bay. Not a home for unwed O Gangers. ????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software