Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submarines Forever, Forever a Submariner" - Mike Hemming
FridayObits
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2017-08-18 7:49 PM (#84727)
Plankowner

Subject: FridayObits

McDONALD; Ewing Raiford, Jr, CAPT, USN, Ret., set sail on his final voyage August 16, 2017. Born August 17, 1925, His family celebrated his 92nd birthday the next day. On the pier, waving "Cheerio" for the last time was his beloved wife, Madelon, the woman who held his eye for nearly seventy years. Mickey arrived in Annapolis as V-J Day was celebrated in August 1945. He had come north with an appointment from his Shreveport, Louisiana congressman, an achievement of which his mother, Lillian Ross McDonald, was justifiably proud. He was unwaveringly grateful to be a member of the United States Naval Academy Class of 1949. He served his nation honorably aboard destroyers and submarines and in theater during the Korean and Vietnam conflicts. He commanded USS Sennet (SS-408) and inspired two generations of McDonalds to continue his legacy as USNA graduates, including aboard submarines. He loved every member of his family absolutely and unconditionally. He inspired them, no matter their vocation or calling in life, to do their best, be their best, and to make the world a better place. He always did for others - his family, his friends, his neighbors, his sailors, his classmates, his community - before he did for himself. Everyone who knew him knew that Mickey would bring peace, comfort and wisdom to any situation. For the last twenty years, each day as he shaved, Mickey happily reflected on the words of Admiral Arleigh Burke that he had hung by his mirror: "Life has been good to me. I didn't die young and I wasn't killed in the war. I got to do most everything I wanted to and a few things I didn't. I had a job I liked and a woman I loved. Can't ask for much more than that." Mickey was surrounded by family when he died at home. In addition to his wife, Madelon, his loving family includes: his three children, Devon Clouse and husband Paul; Brad McDonald and wife Kim; and Sheila McDonald and husband Bennett Finney; his six adoring grandchildren, LCDR Tyler McDonald, USN, and wife Mary; Holly Clouse Coutoumas and husband Captain John Coutoumas, USMC; Mallory Gill; Luke McDonald and wife Rose; Lt. Austin Clouse, USN; and Natalie Gill. Late in life and to his joy, he welcomed four McDonald great-grandchildren - Ava, Colin, Bailey, and to the full completion of the circle of life, his namesake, Ewing Timothy McDonald. Born this year, the younger Ewing visited twice in the last week of his Great-Gran's life, visits which brought Mickey great joy. Important to Mickey in his last years was the opportunity to develop a warm relationship with a younger brother, Carl McDonald of Maryville Tennessee, and learn about their father, Ewing Raiford McDonald, Sr. Fair Winds and Following Seas to our beloved Skipper, Husband, Dad, Gran, and Friend to all. All are invited to a Memorial Service to be held at Lasting Tributes at 814 Bestgate Road, Annapolis, Maryland at 3:00PM on Friday August 25, 2017 with fellowship to follow until 5:00PM. The family is forever grateful for all the wonderful help we received in the last weeks from Hospice of the Chesapeake, BrightStar Care, and True Companion Care. Published in The Capital Gazette on Aug. 18, 2017

DILLARD, James, 71, passed away on Thursday, August 17, 2017 at his home in Idabel, OK. He was born on August 9, 1946 in Texarkana, TX, the son of Glyn Dale Dillard and Jeanette Simpson Dillard. Jim was a carpenter by trade. He was a US Navy Veteran having served on a submarine during Vietnam War. Jim was a 32nd Degree Mason and was a past Worshipful Master of the Idabel Lodge of which he was a longtime member. He enjoyed calligraphy, woodworking and spending time with family. Few people knew, but Jim was an avid video game junkie. He had lived most of his life in Idabel. He was preceded in death by his parents. Jim is survived by his son, Ian Christopher Dillard of Idabel, OK; daughters, Tiffany Paige Corley of Columbia, MO, Rosalind Gray Nichols of Idabel, OK and Allison Brooks Dillard of Mohawk, NY; 7 grandchildren; sisters and brother-in-law, Debra and Ray Flores of Plano, TX and Linda Kay Dillard of Midvale, UT. Visitation on Saturday, August 19, 2017 6:00-8:00 PM at the White Family Funeral Home, 3 NE 3rd Street, Idabel, Oklahoma 74745. A Memorial Service will be held at the same location on Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 1:00 PM.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2017-08-19 7:40 AM (#84728 - in reply to #84727)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: FridayObits

Capt. McDonald was CO of USS Sennet SS-408 during the years '62-'64.
He was definitely one of the best CO's I had the privilege of serving with. He was a constant contributor to ALL of our ships reunions and a friend to all the shipmates. He will be greatly missed by many.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software