Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first submarine which actually sank another enemy vessel under combat conditions was the CSS HUNLEY built during the Civil War. The Union frigate HOUSATONIC on blockade station off Charleston, S. C. was the victim. The incident occurred on February 17, 1864.
St. Augustine
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2017-09-11 9:36 AM (#85007)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: St. Augustine

Ive been trying to find out how bad St Augustine got hit and have not had any luck. I know it's above Daytona which got hit pretty bad. My cousin lives in St.A. and I haven't heard from him yet...
Anyone know?
Ric
Posted 2017-09-11 9:44 AM (#85010 - in reply to #85007)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: St. Augustine

Try checking on line for St Augustine news
Tom McNulty
Posted 2017-09-11 10:12 AM (#85011 - in reply to #85007)

Master and Commander

Joe, Jacksonville is having surge flooding this morning. St. Augustine is likely having similar issues as it's close to Jax. Also believe their power may be out which is not good to recharge your cell phones. I'm sure they're fine but will wait until the storm is over.
oldsubs
Posted 2017-09-11 3:47 PM (#85014 - in reply to #85007)

Historian

Hi folks

I live in St Augustine, south of the old town. The rain and wind started hot and heavy about 8PM (2000) last night but pretty much cleared off by 10AM (1000) this morning. Power was restored to much of the area by 6PM (1800). Downtown flooded as expected but early reports were that there was not a whole lot of wind damage. St Augustine South area had many downed large trees, storm surge flooding along the intracoastal and some roof/boat/car/fence damage. Likewise St Augustine Shores took a hit with regard to trees and some roof damage.

North of the city, the Vilano Beach area was hard hit on the ocean side. The north side of the town from Rt1 to the intracoastal had some flooding but looks like it was not as bad as with Matthew last year. The bridges to Anastasia Island to Vilano Beach, on Rt312 and Rt206 are closed until engineers can inspect so reports of damage on the St Augustine Beach, Butler Beach and Crescent Beach are heresay either not much or bad damage depending on who is doing the saying. We will know more tomorrow. The south end of St Johns county took a hit along the beaches down toward Palm Coast.

The center of Matthew was a Cat One and about 50 miles east. Irma was a Cat one/two about 70 miles to the west.

Bottom line. Damage is spotty, one dead (heart attack down by Palm Coast), but all in all we were lucky. I say that being in a house that has power, food and A/C and no damage. If you are in a house with roof damage, or flooded or without amenities then -- not so lucky. Folks are helping folks and the first responders/sheriff/Guard/ and State Police are out and doing a good job.

Anywhere in particular in town you are wanting information about?

Be Well
Oldsubs
oldsubs
Posted 2017-09-11 3:51 PM (#85015 - in reply to #85007)

Historian

There is a photo being published of a house in Vilano Beach that has collapsed down onto the beach. That house was nearly washed into that condition during Matthew last year, has been abandoned and not repaired/stabilized since. If you are going to show beach damaged homes that is a good one. However without context it conveys the feeling that many homes are like that. Not so. According to the folks I have talked to, maybe one or two houses like that in the 25 miles of beachfront, not more.

Be Well
Oldsubs
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2017-09-12 5:59 AM (#85018 - in reply to #85007)
Master and Commander

I saw that photo of the house "near Jacksonville" which the news guy said "it was almost swallowed up by the ocean". OOPs - wrong storm
Runner485
Posted 2017-09-13 6:40 AM (#85035 - in reply to #85014)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks for the status of At. Augustine, Jim.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software