Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I propose to you a new arm of war, as formidable as it is economical. Submarine navigation, which has been sometimes attempted, but as all know without results, owing to want of suitable opportunities, is now a problematical thing no more." - Brutus de Villeroi in a letter to President Lincoln, 1862
16 years ago this morning...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2017-09-11 9:43 AM (#85009)

Plankowner

Subject: 16 years ago this morning...

...I was having breakfast in Chicago before heading to the Peoria USSVI convention. The TV was on and I watched as plane #2 hit the second tower in disbelief and with a sinking feeling that this was no accident. I called my wife and told her to turn on the TV. She said what channel. I told her it wouldn't make any difference. Managed to get my rental car and get to Peoria. Strange convention.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2017-09-11 10:23 AM (#85012 - in reply to #85009)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: 16 years ago this morning...

I was attending booth duty at the International Chemical Exposition at the Houston convention center. I was getting ready to leave the hotel when I saw the first tower burning and they thought a plane had hit it. About then the news reporter was doing another story in the Pentagon when the camera shook and the reporter said there was some kind of explosion and people were all running. By then I figured there was a coordinated terror attack. I had to get to the convention center and that turned out to be empty for the most part. People were afraid of that building being a target as well as others trying to get transportation back home. A sales manager for another company that I knew for many years was wandering around with a blank look on his face. We talked and he said his son was scheduled to be on one of the planes as he was an executive with Levi Strauss. He couldn't reach his son as the cell phones were useless. His son had gotten a phone call from the NY office and he did not board the plane. His entire staff were killed. Later that day he got a hold of United and they told him that his son was not on the plane. Can you just imagine what he went through like so many others. One of my Brother-in-Laws was a Captain in FDNY and had just retired a couple months earlier. His replacement also lost his life in the tower collapse. I know this is a long story but it will stay with me forever.
carlb
Posted 2017-09-11 11:38 AM (#85013 - in reply to #85009)
Senior Crew

We all have long stories about this date, and they will stay with us for the rest of our lives.
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2017-09-14 2:38 PM (#85063 - in reply to #85009)

Great Sage of the Sea

Are you sure of Peoria Ric? I would have sworn it was Kansas City. My memory is a little older than yours, but not much.
PaulR
Posted 2017-09-15 8:59 AM (#85075 - in reply to #85063)

Master and Commander

I think USSVI CONVENTION _KC was in 2005.

Ric
Posted 2017-09-15 9:33 AM (#85076 - in reply to #85063)

Plankowner

Well, if it wasn't Peoria I drove there for no reason. Yep, it was Peoria because Flasher was having a reunion there at the same time.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-09-15 9:38 AM (#85077 - in reply to #85009)

COMSUBBBS

One of these days, hopefully in the near future, someone will invent a device that will be able to communicate with the world wide web to search all the planets knowledge bases to find the answers to such queries,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Submarine_Veterans,_Inc.

Oh, Goodbye Cassini
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/main/index.html

Edited by GaryKC 2017-09-15 2:39 PM
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2017-09-15 7:35 PM (#85079 - in reply to #85076)

Great Sage of the Sea

You're absolutely correct Ric. I Googled USSVI conventions and saw the dates. I attended both K.C. & Peoria and got the 2 mixed up. Mea Culpa.
Ric
Posted 2017-09-15 9:07 PM (#85080 - in reply to #85079)

Plankowner

Peoria was so strange. There was a whole group who never left the hotel lobby TV area the whole time I was there. The convention was basically folks who had gotten there before the twin towers or were already in route like me. By the time I got back to Chicago planes were flying again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software