Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submarines Forever, Forever a Submariner" - Mike Hemming
Navy to dump blue berry uniform
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

fortyrod
Posted 2017-09-14 7:57 AM (#85050)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Navy to dump blue berry uniform

Well, we can't maintain the fleet because of funds, Can't retain people, but we can throw away money every seven to ten years on uniform changes. Who's son -in-law is getting rich on this one?

https://kitup.military.com/2016/09/report-navys-plan-dump-blue-camo-will-cost-180-million.html
Ric
Posted 2017-09-14 8:52 AM (#85051 - in reply to #85050)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Navy to dump blue berry uniform

Time to go back to dungarees and become real sailors again. They worked for millions of swabbies before just fine. they are time tested!
GaryKC
Posted 2017-09-14 9:03 AM (#85052 - in reply to #85050)

COMSUBBBS

(we don't talk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments we don't talk.jpg (127KB - 562 downloads)
Holland Club
Posted 2017-09-14 9:30 AM (#85053 - in reply to #85051)

Master and Commander

Absolutely.
Sailors should look like sailors not ground pounders.
Ron
rover177
Posted 2017-09-14 1:16 PM (#85059 - in reply to #85050)
Master and Commander

Agree getting rid of nylon in uniforms. Obviously USN 'forgot' to look at Falklands burn victims. Any uniformed person burnt on the job should be able to sue (preferably the person who signed the acceptance of the dangerous material) for their 'life' suffering. The guinea pig club were grateful to their doctors but we should not go out of our way to enhance club membership.
Pedro
Posted 2017-09-16 1:09 PM (#85089 - in reply to #85059)

COMSUBBBS

Totally agree that this utility rig should be trashed. Camouflage was intended for the concealment of ground troops (Army, Airborne and Marines.) Who was the bright spark who suggested the blueberry design in the first place, and who was the fool in procurement who accepted and sanctioned its use for sailors? These people should be named and shamed and held to account for their brainless decisions and flagrant waste of defence budget resources.

In the past, there have been similar nefarious sweetheart deals with UK military suppliers of useless kit to our armed forces and they have finally been exposed and put on a blacklist. Friend's of friend's in high places if you catch my drift, but the guilty movers and shakers are still in office. Now that really makes me angry.

Pedro
610ET
Posted 2017-09-19 9:09 AM (#85138 - in reply to #85089)

Old Salt

Pedro - 2017-09-16 4:09 PMTotally agree that this utility rig should be trashed. Camouflage was intended for the concealment of ground troops (Army, Airborne and Marines.) Who was the bright spark who suggested the blueberry design in the first place, and who was the fool in procurement who accepted and sanctioned its use for sailors? These people should be named and shamed and held to account for their brainless decisions and flagrant waste of defence budget resources. In the past, there have been similar nefarious sweetheart deals with UK military suppliers of useless kit to our armed forces and they have finally been exposed and put on a blacklist. Friend's of friend's in high places if you catch my drift, but the guilty movers and shakers are still in office. Now that really makes me angry.Pedro

Sailors wear dungarees.

Sea Warriors wear cammo.

It's what they do.

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-09-19 9:13 AM (#85140 - in reply to #85050)
Master and Commander

I did love those bell bottoms and chambery shirts. Probably the most comfortable clothes I ever have worn. Just wish we could have worn sneakers with them. 
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2017-09-19 9:59 AM (#85142 - in reply to #85140)

Master and Commander

For a while, the Navy did issue something akin to tennis shoes. I got a pair with my original issue of uniforms. They were white, and didn't last long. One spot of dirt, and they were unfit for inspection. Yes, we had a junior officer who liked to hold inspections with odd combinations of uniforms, usually on weekends.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2017-09-19 9:59 AM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2017-09-19 10:25 AM (#85143 - in reply to #85142)

Master and Commander

I recall those shoes. I believe we were supposed to wear them in boot camp for PE on the gym deck.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2017-09-19 7:56 PM (#85146 - in reply to #85050)
Master and Commander

I had white tennis sneakers for wearing top side during maneuvering watch. Also, we wore them on patrol.

They were not allowed to be worn on the tender.
Ric
Posted 2017-09-19 8:44 PM (#85147 - in reply to #85146)

Plankowner

We were issued them in boot. Had to wear them topside for maneuvering watches. People wore pretty much what they wanted on patrol except hard shoes were mandatory aft of frame 52. I pretty much wore boots all the time.
steamboat
Posted 2017-09-20 5:53 AM (#85150 - in reply to #85050)
Master and Commander

Redirect funds wasted on semi- annual uniform changes and put it towards navigation skill training. Maybe even giving lookouts a bullhorn to wake up OOD when collision is imminent.

Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software