Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Three wives of Presidents of the United States have sponsored submarines. Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower christened the USS NAUTILUS, Mrs. John F. Kennedy christened the USS LAFAYETTE and Mrs. Hillary Clinton christened the USS Columbia SSN771 in 1995.
Sundays Song
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2017-09-16 7:28 PM (#85098)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Sundays Song

Freddie Mercury, of the band, Queen, was the talented consummate showman The first clip shows him singing "The Great Pretender", which suited his flamboyant style and powerful voice.

But the original version by The Platters in 1955 has to take first prize. I have their vinyl album in front of me and was reading the sleeve notes (something you don't get with CD's) describing them as, "four platters and a dish." Their lead singer, Tony Williams, had the perfect voice that sounded so effortless, but of course, it wasn't that simple. Singers had to be able to sing in those days without technology to boost/enhance their performances. Here is that original version. Take your own pick or maybe enjoy both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRjFWDGs1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyM8NVl4yBY

Pedro
Gil
Posted 2017-09-16 7:59 PM (#85099 - in reply to #85098)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Sundays Song

Loved them both, but Freddie was truly an unbelievable talent.

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-09-16 9:01 PM (#85100 - in reply to #85098)
Master and Commander

Yes, when they can sing like that without benefit of a mixer and a board for enhancement is a true talent. 
Ric
Posted 2017-09-16 11:11 PM (#85101 - in reply to #85098)

Plankowner

The DoWhoppers came from the 30's and 40's traditions of band singers from bands that couldn't afford amplification and to be heard the vocalists were known as "shouters" where they actually shouted to get their voices out over the sounds of the bands and the people talking and laughing and doing their own yelling in the clubs. A notable example of one such fellow was known as "Screaming J Hawkins" and JOE TURNER with Boogie Woogie Country Girl. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsod7Lgn8E ) These type of singers learned to project and pronounce their vocals.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-09-17 3:53 AM (#85102 - in reply to #85098)
Master and Commander

Basically your are saying they knew how to sing. Having at one time heard a local singer reviewing a song without electronic aids, and then heard the same song enhanced, it is obvious that without the enhancement the singer wouldn't be where he is today.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-09-17 6:28 AM (#85104 - in reply to #85098)

COMSUBBBS

(in those days.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments in those days.jpg (172KB - 560 downloads)
Ric
Posted 2017-09-17 8:48 AM (#85110 - in reply to #85104)

Plankowner

Do you mean "Your", "You're" or "Yore" don't you? There, their, they're, that should help. Just helping people Know, No how to, two, 2, too speak is a such big task.
Gil
Posted 2017-09-17 10:39 AM (#85116 - in reply to #85098)
Master and Commander

Back in the 90's I got sent to my company headquarters in Cleveland.  I had never been before and after two days I motored to Erie, PA for the main portion of the trip.

Stupid me had no idea there was a diesel boat to tour there in Cleveland.  Anyway I was pretty leery about going to the the Rock and Roll H of F based on my dislike for the current music at that time.  I thought I'd treat this like an art museum I didn't appreciate - I'd fast walk through it in an hour.  Wrong, it was maybe the best five hours I ever spent.  I loved the way they gave credit to old timers that never got the money, but who the superstars stole and refined from to get where they are.

That and the Smithsonian Air and Space museum were the highlights of years of taking in the sights on business trips. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software