Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Nautilus has long been a popular name for a submarine. Some of the more famous of these are Robert Fulton's NAUTILUS (1800), Jules Verne's fictional Nautilus, and the NAUTILUS of Sir Hubert Wilkins in which he attempted a voyage to the North Pole under the ice (1931). There have also been three U.S. submarines of that name, including the world's first nuclear powered submarine built by the Electric Boat Division.
NSR - But Maybe Could Have Been
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2017-09-20 3:11 PM (#85163)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: NSR - But Maybe Could Have Been

Back when working-class hero actors were all the rage in British movies, there was a small nucleus of actors, equally well known for their boozing and causing the occasional rumpus with their drunken shenanigans. There was Oliver Reed, Peter Finch, Albert Finney, Richard Burton and those two lovable Irish actors, Peter O'Toole and Richard Harris. Of the latter, O'Toole had served his time in the Royal Navy which would explain a lot. Harris spent a lot of his younger years playing Rugby, a tough physical sport, which would also explain his love of consuming copious amounts of alcohol between games. They had a rebellious streak against the establishment that made me grin.

Here is a collection of both O'Toole and Harris being independently interviewed on old American TV shows, recounting some of their more youthful experiences whilst under the influence. Had they put their minds to it, both these legends could well have been submariner's. I, for one, would have enjoyed having them as shipmates for their company and funny dits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUGpaKKALvw

Pedro
Gil
Posted 2017-09-22 12:15 PM (#85170 - in reply to #85163)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: NSR - But Maybe Could Have Been

Pedro,
I watched Oliver Reed on an old Tonight show and he was full of himself.  Unfortunately for him Shelley Winters was on also, and she was full of herself as well.  They didn't seem to want to share their time in the spotlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyV3DlvKYmA

Edited by Gil 2017-09-22 2:01 PM
Pedro
Posted 2017-09-23 1:41 PM (#85173 - in reply to #85170)

COMSUBBBS

Gil.

Prompted by your post, I made a point of viewing the Winters-Reed interview and I agree that it was a disaster; two monumental egos getting in the way of each other. While Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole recounted things on the funny side of life, Reed, spent his time during interviews making insulting and disingenuous remarks about his fellow thespians on both sides of the Atlantic. So whether or not he should be included in that band of hell raisers is highly debatable.

I would add that when my hormone levels were in overdrive as a teenager, the likes of Winters, Barbara Stanwick, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, as highly regarded as they were in Hollywood, didn't do an awful lot for me. They did, however, spend their entire lives dishing the dirt on each other at every given opportunity. The more feminine, Debra Paget, Gina Lollobrigida, Rhonda Fleming, Sophia Loren and Brigitte Bardot were more to my liking when I went to the movies. They were hot in my juvenile estimation.

Pedro ;)

Edited by Pedro 2017-09-23 1:48 PM
Bob Mahon
Posted 2017-09-24 6:02 AM (#85180 - in reply to #85163)

Great Sage of the Sea

I'll not forget Ann-Margret as near the top of my lus....err list.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software