Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 steamed 60,000 miles on a lump of Uranium the size of a golf ball. A diesel powered submarine would have required 3,000,000 gallons or 300 railway tank cars of oil.
Question
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-10-02 9:33 AM (#85248)
Master and Commander

Subject: Question

Somewhere in the back reaches of my mind I remember reading that US Submarines accounted for the deaths of more Japanese Army and Marine troops than the US Marine Corps. I haven't been able to locate where this came from. Any help would be appreciated. I also remember the article also addressed the Wahoo and the of running down survivors.
geno
Posted 2017-10-02 10:19 AM (#85249 - in reply to #85248)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: Question

I can't specifically answer your question but I can suggest "Silent Victory" by Clay Blair, Jr. I believe he is one of the most exhaustive authors of submarine warfare during WWII.
Ric
Posted 2017-10-02 10:35 AM (#85250 - in reply to #85248)

Plankowner

Interesting question. I had never heard this before but it would be very informative to know what the total crew and troops losses were for sub sunk and damaged ships. Would have to be well into the tens of thousands.

1,178 Merchant Ships
214 naval ships and submarines
---------------------------------------
1,392 ships

rover177
Posted 2017-10-02 1:23 PM (#85252 - in reply to #85248)
Master and Commander

I would not think that the casualty lists would be as high as those inflicted at Saipan, Iwo Jima and Okinawa where thousands perished.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-10-02 2:44 PM (#85253 - in reply to #85248)

COMSUBBBS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_submarines_in_the_Pacific_War
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-10-02 4:35 PM (#85254 - in reply to #85248)
Master and Commander

By following KC's lead I found this:  http://www.wrecksite.eu/casualty-list.aspx#&&aj=mLsyl5%2f4%2b55gCmJgtj5RSs%2fo4AobtHBz%2fQ7cXa0PT40%3d

It looks like they probably did kill that many if you start adding the numbers, never mind the artillery, guns and tanks that never made it to reinforce Japanese forces. Just the number of allied prisoner casualties due to this friendly fire in imminence. So I tend to believe the statement. 
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2017-10-02 6:01 PM (#85255 - in reply to #85248)
Master and Commander

Walt,

That wreck site is good. I have used it before tracking down information on WWI submarine activity.

Tom
Ric
Posted 2017-10-02 6:54 PM (#85256 - in reply to #85254)

Plankowner

Thanks, great site.
rover177
Posted 2017-10-03 5:29 PM (#85263 - in reply to #85248)
Master and Commander

Had a look at total numbers of Japanese military casualties and after removing the China and SE Asia stations (Chinese and British areas), that still leaves over 1.2 million killed in the Pacific and Phillipines areas. I think the land losses would be higher than those inflicted by the US Submarine Fleet. The denial of war materials and the ship losses had a massive impact - that cannot be denied.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-10-03 8:59 PM (#85264 - in reply to #85248)
Master and Commander

The original question was Submarine versus Marine. I wear a "T" shirt that proclaims "The Best Marine is a Submarine" every now and again. The casualties attributed to each is the question. Now the Marines are great, and they handled the landings. However, one thing that is downplayed is the fact that the Army also contributed in many of these Pacific land actions. Even Iwo Jima, and Guadalcanal had Army involvement. Albany Georgia appears to have more Marines than any other service represented, and I use the argument that the Submarines prevented reinforcements reaching many areas. With unrestricted warfare many enemy combatants did not make it to the fight. If you add up the numbers attributed to the ship losses, it does seem the Subs outdid the Marines. Fear of Allied Air Power and Subs is to blame for the withdrawal of the victorious Japanese Task Forces that had won the night actions in the Slot. So maybe the Best Marine is really the Submarine. At least when it comes to preventing Japanese reinforcements from reaching many embattled Marine Landings.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software