Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile... can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction,...' I served in the United States Navy'.” -- John F. Kennedy
Irony
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2017-10-04 11:29 AM (#85266)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Irony

I've edited the image to better explain the word "Irony"
This post was not intended to condone the current popularity of hatred worldwide.

Edited by GaryKC 2017-10-07 2:56 PM

(irony 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments irony 2.jpg (140KB - 611 downloads)
rover177
Posted 2017-10-04 1:40 PM (#85267 - in reply to #85266)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Irony

Obviously an Arts Graduate owns the vehicle - do you want fries with that?
Ric
Posted 2017-10-04 1:49 PM (#85268 - in reply to #85266)

Plankowner

Yore, Your, You're, Yo.....
steamboat
Posted 2017-10-04 2:07 PM (#85269 - in reply to #85268)
Master and Commander

All Ya'll

Edited by steamboat 2017-10-05 4:29 AM
AtoZ
Posted 2017-10-05 10:33 AM (#85274 - in reply to #85266)

Great Sage of the Sea

QUE?
Ric
Posted 2017-10-05 11:17 AM (#85275 - in reply to #85274)

Plankowner

LOL
Gil
Posted 2017-10-05 1:57 PM (#85276 - in reply to #85266)
Master and Commander

This may explain it, not trying to be political.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/07/sarah-palin-says-immigrants-to-the-us-should-speak-american

Edited by Gil 2017-10-05 2:01 PM
610ET
Posted 2017-10-06 8:08 AM (#85279 - in reply to #85266)

Old Salt

Momhttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/07/sarah-palin-says-immigrants-to-the-us-should-speak-american
Pm
Anyone coming to any country to live and work should be able to communicate in that country's language even if they continue to speak their own. Seems pretty basic.

While many English speakers do make mistakes in their grammar and usage, they don't have to press "two" in order to obtain services.

But, yes, the entire topic is completely political these days.

Edited by 610ET 2017-10-06 10:38 PM
Pedro
Posted 2017-10-06 6:26 PM (#85282 - in reply to #85279)

COMSUBBBS

We, the British, are not good at practising what we preach on speaking the native language when living in other countries. Over a million Brits live within the EU and a third of them live in Spain and are mostly senior citizens. They live in very posh ghetto's, call themselves ex-pats, yet scathingly refer to other nationals (apart from the Spanish) as foreigners. So they live in what are exclusively British communities and because of this, steadfastly refuse to learn the Spanish language.

This limits them to forever living in the coastal areas of the country, because if they moved inland they would be unable to communicate easily with native Spaniards. Younger generations of Brits who work there, have of necessity, made the effort to learn and do speak and write the local lingo and tend to integrate well nationwide.

The older ones of my generation face some serious concerns and future decisions as we get nearer to our exit from the EU and Spain. The split could effect their pension rights, savings and medical care entitlement. Like snowbirds in the U.S. they are lotus eaters who worship the sun, the major reason for them being there. I love the sunshine and a bronzy too, but it isn't the be all and end all of things important. Unless something miraculous happens in these Brexit negotiations, which are acrimonious at this moment, these people will be forced into returning to the UK. Having to sell off their properties and assets below market value could be the outcome. Standing by for the influx of disenchanted ex-pats returning home with very little to a higher cost of living and all the wind and rain they can handle. Not a happy thought. They should have learnt to hablar Espanol as it would have made a huge difference to their general acceptance within that country. Same rule applies everywhere else in the world.

Pedro
610ET
Posted 2017-10-06 10:43 PM (#85283 - in reply to #85282)

Old Salt

Pedro - 2017-10-06 9:26 PMWe, the British, are not good at practising what we preach on speaking the native language when living in other countries. Over a million Brits live within the EU and a third of them live in Spain and are mostly senior citizens. They live in very posh ghetto's, call themselves ex-pats, yet scathingly refer to other nationals (apart from the Spanish) as foreigners. So they live in what are exclusively British communities and because of this, steadfastly refuse to learn the Spanish language. This limits them to forever living in the coastal areas of the country, because if they moved inland they would be unable to communicate easily with native Spaniards. Younger generations of Brits who work there, have of necessity, made the effort to learn and do speak and write the local lingo and tend to integrate well nationwide. The older ones of my generation face some serious concerns and future decisions as we get nearer to our exit from the EU and Spain. The split could effect their pension rights, savings and medical care entitlement. Like snowbirds in the U.S. they are lotus eaters who worship the sun, the major reason for them being there. I love the sunshine and a bronzy too, but it isn't the be all and end all of things important. Unless something miraculous happens in these Brexit negotiations, which are acrimonious at this moment, these people will be forced into returning to the UK. Having to sell off their properties and assets below market value could be the outcome. Standing by for the influx of disenchanted ex-pats returning home with very little to a higher cost of living and all the wind and rain they can handle. Not a happy thought. They should have learnt to hablar Espanol as it would have made a huge difference to their general acceptance within that country. Same rule applies everywhere else in the world.Pedro

Britain and America, two countries separated by a common language.
Pedro
Posted 2017-10-07 11:55 AM (#85291 - in reply to #85283)

COMSUBBBS

Chris,

You got that right LOL. I quickly learnt that we in Britain spoke a little too fast to be clearly understood in the US and I adjusted by speaking a little slower than usual. Made a point of it on all future visits and most times this solved the problem. Never experienced it in New York though as I found their speech patterns and sense of humour were similar to that of my own native Liverpool. It may well have been attributable to our common Irish backgrounds.

Pedro
steamboat
Posted 2017-10-07 1:54 PM (#85293 - in reply to #85279)
Master and Commander

Ya'll are missing the point here...... if you are going to criticize others, you better be correct yourself.

Steamboat sends
Ric
Posted 2017-10-07 3:24 PM (#85295 - in reply to #85293)

Plankowner

I correct myself a lot but, sometimes I'm wrong...
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2017-10-07 5:25 PM (#85296 - in reply to #85266)

Master and Commander

One time I thought I was wrong, but I was in error.
Pedro
Posted 2017-10-07 7:09 PM (#85297 - in reply to #85293)

COMSUBBBS

Steamboat,

If someone is missing the point, then what exactly is yours? Basic suggestions that anyone entering another country (apart from vacations) in order to work or reside, should be able to speak the language of the country they are planning to relocate to. What could be the problem with that? It's hardly a criticism but a legal immigration requirement in most Western countries.

Pedro
rover177
Posted 2017-10-08 1:23 PM (#85309 - in reply to #85266)
Master and Commander

Very true Pedro. When I lived in Santa Barbara, there was a Mexican lady that had had her corner store since 1949, a period of fifty years; she became the owner a relatively short time after she came from Mexico. The store had had a pre-WWII Coca Cola advertising sign. It was stolen and because of its age, was reported in the local paper. The sign was found 'dumped' in nearby Ventura. Bit of a story but it was also reported that an interpreter was needed; the lady could not speak a word of English. She had owned the store for fifty years and expected every customer to be able to speak Spanish. The Mesa was one of the more 'Hispanic" areas of Santa Barbara but I thought and still think, that if one emigrates to another country, the first line of business is to learn the language of that country.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software