Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 steamed 60,000 miles on a lump of Uranium the size of a golf ball. A diesel powered submarine would have required 3,000,000 gallons or 300 railway tank cars of oil.
California brush fires
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2017-10-10 1:40 PM (#85326)

Master and Commander

Subject: California brush fires

I tried to call Tim Spoon this morning. The phone number I have has been disconnected or is not in service. I don't know specifically where he lives, or how his home is affected by the fires. I also don't have his cell phone number so can't contact him that way.

For info about the fires, this link is the Cal-Fire info page. There are further links embedded.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/

Here's the URL for the National Interagency Fire Center: https://www.nifc.gov

And for the fire incident web page: https://www.inciweb.nwgc.gov

You may have to copy and paste. Sorry.

Wish I had better news about Tim Spoon.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2017-10-10 1:40 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2017-10-10 2:14 PM (#85327 - in reply to #85326)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: California brush fires

He posted a couple of times today on Facebook.
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2017-10-10 2:35 PM (#85328 - in reply to #85326)

Great Sage of the Sea

Tim lives a few miles NE of Sacramento. He's in one of the "Diesel Boats Forever" Facebook groups.
Ric
Posted 2017-10-10 6:46 PM (#85329 - in reply to #85326)

Plankowner

Patti just heard from Tim. He's OK but says a few boat sailors have been evacuated from some areas.
TSpoon
Posted 2017-10-10 9:46 PM (#85331 - in reply to #85326)
Great Sage of the Sea

Checking in.

Thanks for all the concern. I do live between Sacramento and Folsom in an area I don't think would suffer the types of wild fires now going on.

I was gone most of today as on Tuesdays I volunteer in the Homeless Veterans Clinic at the Mather VA Hospital. We did have one young veteran come in today looking for help as his home was destroyed yesterday in one of the fires on the east side of the valley. He has a wife and two very young children. When I left they were trying to find him some emergency housing for tonight and a get him hooked up with other assistance. He had a look of defeat on his face and said the only clothes he had left was what he had on. He will be taken care of.

There are a couple of members of our local USSVI Base who live in the area of the fires on the east side of the state. They have notified us that they were evacuated but don't know how their homes have fared. As you can imagine communication is difficult and confusion is a by product of this.

I have a number of friends in the wine country where has been a lot of destruction. They had to evacuate the Kaiser Hospital over there. The news showed pictures of that fire and the flames were going sideways due to some very strong winds that also was blowing burning embers fast and furious. Sort of like a huge blow torch. The fire spread faster than some of the people could evacuate. One story said a 100 year old man and his 99 year old wife were overtaken and died.

Please keep them in your prayers as most of the fires had zero containment today due to the wind and it is supposed to blow again tomorrow.

T.Spoon

Ric
Posted 2017-10-10 9:52 PM (#85332 - in reply to #85331)

Plankowner

Thanks Tim. Glad you're safe.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software