Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Coronation ceremonies of Emperor Alexander II of Russia in 1855 were enlivened by a submarine concert. Wilhelm Bauer, a Bavarian inventor, took three musicians under the waters of Kronstadt Harbor in a submarine he had built, where they played appropriate music during the coronation. The music was distinctly heard on the surface.
ARA San Juan, my questions
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

fortyrod
Posted 2017-12-02 12:28 PM (#86842)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: ARA San Juan, my questions

Certainly Bruce Rule knows more then I. There are those that have questioned his "expert" opinions of Scorpion analysis. In this analysis he pretty much pin points the location. If this is factual (and maybe it is) then why isn't the search concentrated in this area ? I read nothing about a refined search. He states the boat imploded at 1275 feet. If that is crush depth, then I would estimate test depth @ around 700 feet. Thats not very deep for a modern sub. the last 2 classes of smoke boats could do that. I'm just a hole snipe and dbf sailor, what do I know. but something just doesn't seem right here.

Erwin Ecker
November 28 at 9:21am

ANALYSIS OF ACOUSTIC DETECTION OF THE
LOSS OF THE ARGENTINE SUBMARINE SAN JUAN By Bruce Rule

An analytical review of all information released by the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization on the acoustic signal associated with the loss of the Argentina Submarine ARA SAN JUAN confirms the following:

That acoustic signal originated near 46-10S, 59-42W at 1358Z (GMT) on 15 November 2017. It was produced by the collapse (implosion) of the ARA SAN JUAN pressure-hull at a depth of 1275-feet. Sea pressure at the collapse depth was 570 PSI. The frequency of the collapse event signal (bubble-pulse) was about 4.4 Hz.

The energy released by the collapse was equal to the explosion of 12,500 pounds of TNT at the depth of 1275-feet. That energy was produced by the nearly instantaneous conversion of potential energy (sea-pressure) to kinetic energy, the motion of the intruding water-ram which entered the SAN JUAN pressure-hull at a speed of about 1800 mph.

The entire pressure-hull was completely destroyed (fragmented/compacted) in about 40 milliseconds (0.040s or 1/25th of a second), the duration of the compression phase of the collapse event which is half the minimum time required for cognitive recognition of an event.

Although the crew may have known collapse was imminent, they never knew it was occurring. They did not drown or experience pain. Death was instantaneous.

The SAN JUAN wreckage sank vertically at an estimated speed between 10 and 13 knots. Bottom impact would not have produced an acoustic event detectable at long range.

The open question is: why was no corrective action - such as blowing ballast - taken by the SAN JUAN crew before the submarine sank to collapse depth? According to Argentine Navy spokesman Gabriel Galeazzi, the Commanding Officer of the SAN JUAN reported a "failure" in the submarine's "battery system," The time of that report was 0730 on 15 November, assumed to have been GMT. Subsequently, the problem was reported to have been "fixed." The SAN JUAN intended to submerged and continued its transit north. The SAN JUAN pressure-hull collapsed at 1358 GMT on 15 November.

In the case of the loss of the US nuclear submarine SCORPION (SSN 589), hydrogen out-gassed by the main battery exploded at 18:20:44 GMT on 22 May 1968 incapacitating/killing the crew with an atmospheric over-pressure in the battery well estimated to have been 7-10 times the fatal value. The pressure-hull was not breached. This assessment was based on analysis of acoustic detections of the event and damage observed in pieces of the fragmented battery recovered from the wreckage at a depth of 11,100 feet by the US submersible TRIESTE, e.g., microscopic, spectrographic and x-ray diffraction analyses. (There was no flooding of the pressure-hull before the battery exploded.)

SCORPION lost power and sank slowly over nearly 22 minutes to collapse at a depth of 1530-feet at 18:42:34 GMT on 22 May 1968.

There is the possibility that a similar sequence of events occurred aboard the SAN JUAN. If the wreck is located and efforts are made to recover components, emphasis should be placed on the battery system.

The author of this assessment was the lead acoustic analyst at the US Office of Naval Intelligence for 42 years, analyzed acoustic detectors of the loss of the USS THRESHER (SSN 593) on 10 April 1963 and testified before that Court of Inquiry. The author expresses his appreciation to those who supported this assessment with research and calculations

Edited by fortyrod 2017-12-02 12:31 PM
Ric
Posted 2017-12-02 1:05 PM (#86844 - in reply to #86842)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: ARA San Juan, my questions

"...near 46-10S, 59-42W ..."

this could mean 100 miles in any direction. Also vessels don't necessarily sink in a straight line. They may corkscrew or plane and change directions. That still leaves a lot of ground to cover only scanning several hundred yards at a time in narrow strips.

I met Bruce at Warshot's funeral, seemed like a pretty savvy guy.
fortyrod
Posted 2017-12-02 3:17 PM (#86846 - in reply to #86842)
Great Sage of the Sea

I'm not questioning his technical intelligence in his field of expertise. He said, "Imploded" and "entire pressure-hull was completely destroyed (fragmented/compacted)". I don't think it;s going to corkscrew or plane. Debris may be strewn over a mile maybe (my thinking). It just seems as if we just got a teaser of information and it's the same as lame stream news, not enough of real facts. I'll get off the soap box now because I really am not even qualified to think.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2017-12-02 4:58 PM (#86847 - in reply to #86846)
COMSUBBBS

It's all just speculation IMHO. They haven't found the San Juan yet as far as I know.
A couple questions in my mind are: why didn't they emerg. blow to the surface and stay there for help to arrive. If there was a fire, who in there right mind would stay submerged? Salt water + battery acid makes for some rough breathing. Here again IMHO someone/the CO didn't know feces.
rover177
Posted 2017-12-03 4:52 PM (#86855 - in reply to #86842)
Master and Commander

If there was a pressure hull or major pipe failure, water can come in faster than an emergency blow and full power could provide positive buoyancy. Internal bulkheads can fail before complete hull collapse. The boat may not 'implode' but spiral to the bottom - it is at neutral pressure with the surrounding sea.

The submarine was older than original hull life; not everything would have been replaced or renovated. Even remedial work can easily miss something. Our Oxley after first refit had hull problems that limited the diving depth during the second "commission" period (unlike the RN, we did not decommission during the refit period following the four to five year running period).

Although the end would have been fairly quick, everyone would have known of the problem faced and the consequences.
Coyote
Posted 2017-12-11 8:35 AM (#86933 - in reply to #86842)

Great Sage of the Sea

Test depth as constructed was 300 meters (980 feet).

Coyote
Don Gentry
Posted 2017-12-12 2:57 PM (#86941 - in reply to #86842)

Admin

610ET
Posted 2017-12-12 6:02 PM (#86943 - in reply to #86842)

Old Salt

That photo is pretty much all of us.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software