Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "No one has done more to prevent conflict - no one has made a greater sacrifice for the cause for Peace - than you, America's proud missile submarine family. You stand tall among our heroes of the Cold War.” -- Gen. Colin Powell
Question on Torpedoes
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2017-12-21 12:38 PM (#87061)
Master and Commander

Subject: Question on Torpedoes

Was there a device at the rear of torpedoes near the tail section of conventional torpedoes carried during the late 60's where the depth could be adjusted actually on the torpedo.  I'm thinking a lever where some one could set the depth prior to loading in the firing tube to say 8 feet.

On an entirely different matter I remember when we were fired on by practice torpedoes off Maui we were often told to stay below a 100 feet, and I think the practice torpedoes were set to not go below a 100 feet.  I might have got in backwards but I think that was the way it usually occurred.  It didn't always work as one time an acoustic torpedo fired by a chopper at us hit one of our screws despite us staying at our prescribed depth

Seems to me practice depth charges had the same parameters, but besides depth there were distance parameters for proximity to us put in.  I remember barely hearing one go off a long way from us (maybe 1000 or 2000 yards), I still heard a very muffled slight noise, but a light bulb in the AB went out as well.  I think the bulb going out was a coincidence, but all in the AB looked at each other wondering.

Edited by Gil 2017-12-21 2:56 PM
Ric
Posted 2017-12-21 12:45 PM (#87062 - in reply to #87061)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Question on Torpedoes

As to depth charges, Up close they sound like someone has held a 12 gauge shotgun near your ear and fired it. You feel it too.
Gil
Posted 2017-12-21 3:02 PM (#87067 - in reply to #87061)
Master and Commander

Ric,
I'm sure that's the case, but these were PDC's or practice depth charges.  I heard they had 5 lb. explosive charges in them, but that seems excessive.  Some one on boats said the one's used for our "games" were equivalent to a grenade.

All I know is just hearing a PDC from the distance it was suppose to be shocked us.  I never wanted to experience the real thing.
Ric
Posted 2017-12-21 3:49 PM (#87068 - in reply to #87067)

Plankowner

Try being asleep!
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2017-12-21 7:30 PM (#87071 - in reply to #87061)

Master and Commander

A gunners mate I know aboard the USS Hull said they took concussion grenades, wrapped toilet paper around the handle, pulled the pin and chucked it overboard. The toilet paper held the handle in place as the grenade was sinking, only to dissolve, allowing the handle to release, firing the grenade. Otherwise they sunk about 20 feet before going off.

Dennis Bakke, GMG3, USNR, USS Hull, RIP
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-12-22 9:25 AM (#87072 - in reply to #87061)
Master and Commander

Same trick they used in Vietnam against underwater swimmers when they didn't have concussion grenades, only frags. Frags would sometimes go off early and hole the boat. Ten wraps of rolled toilet paper seemed to give them enough depth to protect the boats bottom. 
Gil
Posted 2017-12-22 3:54 PM (#87075 - in reply to #87061)
Master and Commander

I can't find any information on PDC'S, I just assumed they were an actual device and not something jury rigged.  My assumption is based on all the detailed direction we were given on depth and position and maintaining of it, even more than when practice torpedoes were fired at us.  But maybe that was because they had some explosives, and the practice torpedoes didn't.  I heard one boat lost its sail rail due to a PDC, but even a grenade could do that
rover177
Posted 2017-12-22 5:08 PM (#87076 - in reply to #87061)
Master and Commander

The Mk 44 practice torpedo has certainly claimed a bump or two when fired on a dived submarine. The torpedo had search depth limitations but there have been failures. Odin was hit on the after casing from Parramatta in 1973. Took a while to get that casing rattle resolved. Still, the sound from a Mk 44 was very different to that from a Mk 46; the 46 did not have a practice variant at that time.
geno
Posted 2017-12-23 1:38 PM (#87094 - in reply to #87061)
Old Salt

As to depth setting on torpedoes the answer is yes. On the Mk 32 tubes there were spindles that protruded into the tube to manually set gyro and depth. Most of the boats like Gudgeon in the 50 and after when the has Mk 47 tubes had this capability removed. This feature applied to the Mk 14 and Mk 16 torpedoes. A prank on newbies was to get them to dive the tide just like today but unlike today where they just show you the total absence of light, there they would plunge the spindles and turn in an attempt to catch one unaware.
Gil
Posted 2017-12-24 8:30 AM (#87119 - in reply to #87061)
Master and Commander

Thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software