Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Long considered a versatile and deadly instrument of war, the submarine has broadened her capabilities with the adoption of nuclear power. Today the submarine serves as a ballistic missile platform, early warning station, killer of surface and underwater vessels, scout, coastal raider troop transport, supply ship, mine layer, and seaplane tender.
Ouotes from another board
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2017-12-31 10:53 AM (#87191)

Plankowner

Subject: Ouotes from another board

The discussion got in to medals and awards. This one and its reply were memorable;

I remember a buddy of mine being asked about his Vietnam ribbon by a small child and he replied "That is my 'I was there' ribbon." The youngster then pointed to his Purple Heart ribbon and asked about it to which my buddy replied, "That is my 'I was there and forgot to duck ribbon' ". That satisfied the child's curiosity. Bless all who have served and continue to do so!?

That was replied to by;

lol "forgot to duck" My grandfather was in WWII. He was 3rd Marine Division & he was on Iwo & Guam. When my cousins & I were young we were constantly asking him questions & he downplayed all his decorations. In the 70's he taught math & engineering & he always told us kids that he was an engineer in the war & never saw combat. He also said he lost his finger by closing it in a door. We never knew the truth until years after he passed & we researched his service record. He actually saw some heavy fighting but I assume he didn't want to talk to much about it, especially when we were kids so he downplayed his service & said he did things we found boring. He tells us he helped repair airstrips & designed docks & we quit asking questions. Curiosity satisfied. Had he told us he went into Iwo Jima on day 4 or 5 we would have hit him with endless requests for stories.?

I remember one of my late father-in-laws say about his WW II service was all he was was a Corpsman at Saipan and he wouldn't say another word. Guy was a jerk but I respected his service.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software