Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Probably the most expensive ballast ever carried by a ship was two tons of gold and eighteen tons of silver coins carried by the U.S. submarine TROUT while on a trip from Corregidor to Pearl Harbor early in World War II. TROUT had removed her moveable ballast to allow for a larger cargo of ammunition to be transported for the defenders on the embattled island. Lcdr. Fenno, TROUT's CO, planned on replacing the ballast with sand bags, but found none were available. The gold and silver from the Bank of the Philippines was substituted as ballast, which also solved the problem of removing the treasure to a safe place prior to invasion by the enemy.
We Were Pirates
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2018-01-10 10:51 AM (#87332)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: We Were Pirates

I just finished re-reading the above book by Schultz and Shell about a torpedoman that made 11 successive war patrols on the Tambor. His name is Bob Hunt and he wrote and dictated his war time stories to the authors.

I got the book when it first came out and I wasn't a big fan of it. But I decided to re-read it and I certainly changed my mind because his stories tell of his carousing after each patrol, which I think turned me off for some reason...But I went at it with an open mind and concluded that I would have done the same thing as he did. On one of his patrols the Tambor was depth charged for 17 hours. I just couldn't imagine that...

I recommend this book highly. It was written by an enlisted man who rose to the rank of chief in about 4 1/2 to 5 years. How it made it to chief is another story.

Good book
MAD DOG
Posted 2018-01-11 7:12 AM (#87340 - in reply to #87332)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: We Were Pirates

"his stories tell of his carousing after each patrol, which I think turned me off for some reason"
Turned off by carousing? Really?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software