Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Helm, bridge...what are you doing 60 degrees off course?" "Bridge, helm...coming back from 90 degrees, sir." -- Roger Forgit, USS Tigrone AGSS-419
Update #13
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2018-03-25 2:49 PM (#87979)

Plankowner

Subject: Update #13

A friend of mine is doing some volunteer work scanning photos at the Vallejo Naval & Historical Museum.
He came across a bunch of images of the interior of an R-Boat and sent them on to me for posting.
In going through all of them I finally managed to discover that the boat was the USS R-16.
After doing all the corrections needed to make the images more viewable and trying to figure out what was going on and consulting with my friend Dave Johnston, a Sub Historian, we have finished the job and there are now 30 photos posted to PigBoats.COM for your enjoyment.

http://pigboats.com/

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2018-03-25 5:25 PM (#87981 - in reply to #87979)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Update #13

Ric:

Take a closer look at your original. There is a photo of a motor controller captioned made by Cutler Manufacturing Co. I think that is actually CUTLER HAMMER & Co. I think I see the HA in Hammer. They are still in business.

The previous few photos also show motor controllers with exposed electrical contacts. They give me pause to reflect the bravery of the electricians of that era. They were almost as dangerous as the old knife switches - also called suicide switches. Open or closed, the contacts were exposed. All it took was an odd roll of the boat, a sailor could put his hand out to steady himself, and touch an open contact switch - suicide. I'm glad they were outlawed a long time ago.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2018-03-25 5:26 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software