Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
April Fools?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2018-04-01 9:48 AM (#88034)

Plankowner

Subject: April Fools?

Happy Easter and April Fools Day!!!

Telling a story on me.

This is a true story but I've had my doubts over the years. Looking back I can't say if this happened in 1965 or 1966. I was at EB in new construction for both of those days. To this day I still remember what compartment of the Barge we shared with the crews of the George Bancroft I was in reading it
The story goes like this. I was still new to the whole Submarine thing and I came across a story written in a newspaper, news letter or something like that. (I've often wished I'd saved that copy) The story was about the discovery of a German U-Boat discovered off the Gulf Coast. That reports looked into say no U-Boats had been sunk in that location. That there was only one U-Boat officially sunk in the Gulf, (U-166). This story I read says that a German was depth charged someplace near New Orleans and has been discovered near the Florida west coast. Story goes the crew probably killed by depth charges the sub remained intact and in neutral buoyancy and slowly carried by currents to the found location. There was much more to the article than just this brief outline.

OK, I was young, probably pretty gullible. and didn't realize what the the date I was reading the story on was. It was well written and had, for the time, enough correct sounding facts. For the last 42, 43 years I keep thinking about this story and wonder if it could have been true. But, of course, there is no follow up information and the WW II loss stats remain the same. But, ........

Go here for U-Boat facts: https://uboat.net/

Your stories...?

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2018-04-02 5:54 AM (#88038 - in reply to #88034)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: April Fools?

I have a couple...
New to AUSTRALIA, like around 4 days. ( 1973 )  My Grandfather called out 'one morning' that we should hurry up and see these kangaroos that were out in the back lane way.  ( for POD mainly, we lived then in Shenton Park )
So there we were, two excited Pommy kids, new to Australia thinking we would see a 'roo  ( I was 10 and my sister was 5 ) so we rushed out...couldn't see it, Grandad says, 'It went that way'......we ran down 'that way' and it had obviously bounced away as we couldn't find it.
I am sure Grandad was having a good laugh, but we were obviously disappointed.  To make it up to us, he drove us somewhere to see a real kangaroo that day so all was good!  ( nice one Grandad! )
Fast forward to 1993 maybe 4......I was at the Submarine HQ, the radio was on, then all of a sudden on the news they stated that 'approximately 50 dolphins were beached at one of Perth's beaches and they were calling for volunteers to come and help them.  This struck a cord with me, I so wanted to help out but knew I wouldn't be allowed to go so I just kept my mouth shut and stressed about those 'poor dolphins'.  Every so often they would mention it, state 'that 'x' amount of people had turned up but they needed more'...
This went on for around 2 hours, every news bulletin we listened intently....
Eventually they coughed up to the April Fools Joke...they were talking about Dolphin Torches which they had placed at the shore line.
I wasn't impressed at the time but later saw the funny side.
There is another one but that would take too long to write out....even better.
Blue *_*
Holland Club
Posted 2018-04-02 6:14 AM (#88039 - in reply to #88034)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: April Fools?

Good to see you are back with us. That is no April Fool, either.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software