Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: During their wartime operations submarines have engaged in some unusual maritime actions. One undersea craft slugged it out with the infantry and field artillery while other submarines destroyed a zeppelin, a bus, and a railroad train.
Sundays Song's
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2018-04-07 6:40 PM (#88076)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Sundays Song's

David Alexander was widely popular in the UK but never made super star status. Many thought this was because he sounded too much like Tom Jones at that time. David was also Welsh; an ex-coalminer with a powerful singing voice. The first track "Working Man" was written/recorded by a Canadian lady, Rita MacNeil, but David gave it more authority as someone who had actually worked down the pits at the coal face. "If I Only Had Time" is another good example of his vocal talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqqDHV271g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZArTgWjru0

Pedro

Edited by Pedro 2018-04-07 6:42 PM
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2018-04-08 5:15 AM (#88077 - in reply to #88076)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Sundays Song's

Excellent songs - never heard of David Alexander. I added that to one of my play lists.

The Working Man Song always reminds me of my late father in law. If he stayed in Vermont his best job prospect was working his whole life underground in the marble quarry (white dust or black dust?). So, after his mother passed in 1933 he came to the NY City area and worked construction of highways, bridges, and tunnels.

Pedro
Posted 2018-04-08 11:52 AM (#88081 - in reply to #88077)

COMSUBBBS

Tom,

During one of our annual reunion weekends I ran into an old mate, Billy Lloyd, a Welsh WWII submarine veteran and a coal miner of many years even after the war. We met in an elevator in our hotel when he entered it with his lovely wife, Betty, as they were both dressed to the nines and going down to dinner. After greeting them both, I asked Billy what floor he wanted. His gravelled voiced answer was, "The coalface please, Pedro." Billy was a true believer in the philosophy of, deep down you know it makes sense, whether on land or sea. It was an honour to meet men of his calibre on those occasions and to treasure their memories.

Pedro
Bob Mahon
Posted 2018-04-08 8:21 PM (#88092 - in reply to #88076)

Great Sage of the Sea

I've been in those mines in a much more modern time. Able to ride the drillhead and outbound conveyor at end of shift.
NOT something I would care to do for a living. A tough life, for sure.
God bless all who do that. They need it.

The songs are wonderful and should have made it on their own. Especially "If I Only Had Time".

Edited by Bob Mahon 2018-04-08 8:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software