Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I saw the submariners, the way they stood aloof and silent, watching their pigboat with loving eyes. They are alone in the Navy. I admired the PT boys. And I often wondered how the aviators had the courage to go out day after day and I forgave their boasting. But the submariners! In the entire fleet they stand apart!” -- James Michener
4-10 history
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

fortyrod
Posted 2018-04-10 3:55 AM (#88105)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: 4-10 history

Atlantic 04/10/63: The USS Thresher (SSN-593) sinks in approximately 8,400 feet of water 220 miles east of Boston while conducting post-overhaul trials, killing all 129 men on board. The Navy Court of Inquiry concludes a flooding casualty in the engine room brought about by a piping system failure in one of the submarine's saltwater systems is the most probable cause of the sinking.The Thresher is never recovered.

http://ussnautilus.org/blog/the-loss-of-uss-thresher-ssn-593/
Ric
Posted 2018-04-10 7:45 AM (#88106 - in reply to #88105)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: 4-10 history

I was fortunate enough to come across a Thresher Memorial Book. It has no publisher listed but I'm positive it has to have been published by the US Navy. It contains a photo and short biography of every person aboard.

It also contains 5 pages of a representative number of condolences from people around the world sent to the US Government. Every one from Queen Elizabeth II and Charles deGaulle and people around the world to messages from crews of merchant ships at sea. I just finished going through it again, page by page yesterday. Very moving.

It was my privilege to place the Thresher Class submarine Flasher in commission with all the remedies from the findings of her sinking in place. The first SUBSAFE boat! I always felt and still feel bad the Navy renamed the class for Permit. It seems like a slap in the face of the men who died on Thresher. I'm proud to call myself a "Thresher Class Sailor"! A "593 Class" Submariner! I was always aware of us being a Thresher Class boat, not Permit class boat.

Hand Salute!! Two!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software