Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Nautilus has long been a popular name for a submarine. Some of the more famous of these are Robert Fulton's NAUTILUS (1800), Jules Verne's fictional Nautilus, and the NAUTILUS of Sir Hubert Wilkins in which he attempted a voyage to the North Pole under the ice (1931). There have also been three U.S. submarines of that name, including the world's first nuclear powered submarine built by the Electric Boat Division.
Wednesday Obits
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2018-05-23 10:55 AM (#89364)
Plankowner

Subject: Wednesday Obits

SOHLKE, Jeffrey E., 62, of Fredericksburg, VA passed away Monday, May 21, 2018 at University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville. Jeff was born on August 6, 1955 and was a retired US Navy veteran having served 22 years as a submariner. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. on Friday, June 1 at Resurrection Lutheran Church in Fredericksburg. Memorials may be made to Resurrection Lutheran Church.

WITHINGTON, William Edward, 92, of East Haven, died on Saturday, May 19, 2018 at his home surrounded by his family. He went to be with his wife Barbara Jordan Withington, who passed just 50 days ago. William was born in New Haven on February 7, 1926 to the late William Walter and Charlotte Burke Withington. Bill proudly served his country from 1942 to 1947, in the United States Navy, during WWII. During his tour of duty, he served on several submarines and saw quite a bit of action. His longest stent was on the Balao-Class submarine USS Picuda (SS-382). He qualified in submarines in Picuda in 1944 and was BM2(SS) when released by the Navy. He received several commendations, including the Three Star Asiatic Pacific Medal and the Five Star Submarine Combat Insignia. He also received a special commendation from the Fleet Admiral of the Nimtz. After the war, he would enroll and graduate from Quinnipiac University, Class of "55. He would then go on to work for the State of CT in their Department of Income Maintenance, eventually attaining the title of Supervisor. He would retire in 1988. William was a member of the EH board of Education from 1952 to 1959 and a communicant of Our Lady of Pompeii Church. William is survived by a daughter Maureen Vogt of Guilford, a son Brian M. Withington of East Haven, a brother Robert Withington, of Indiana, four grandchildren, Karen (Danielle) Tirozzi of Boston, MA, Michael (Denise) Tirozzi of Wellsley, MA, Timothy Tirozzi of Watertown, MA and Brian Withington of Branford. He is also survived by three great grandchildren, Isabelle, Miles and Ethan. He was predeceased by a brother Thomas Withington. A funeral mass will be celebrated at Our Lady of Pompeii Church Friday morning at 11 a.m. Burial with full military honors will take place at St. Lawrence Cemetery. There will be no calling hours, please go directly to the church. The East Haven Memorial Longobardi – Brennan Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Memorial contributions may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project, P.O. Box 758516, Topeka, KA 66675-8516. Please visit easthavenmemorial.com and sign Bill's guest book. Published in The New Haven Register on May 23, 2018

FERREIRA, Armando "Arman", "Dad", "Papa", of Waterford, would read the Obituary section in the newspaper each morning and joke that “I must be alive as I am not reading my own obituary.” But today I am. I have lived a cat's life; nine lives, escaping this day until today, May 21st, 2018. I passed peacefully at Yale New Haven Hospital after I was unable to come back from pneumonia and other illnesses. Surrounded by my family as they look on me in my final hours, it is now my turn to watch over them from Heaven. I also was blessed to have great care from the staff at Yale and Greentree Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation. I was born on April 18,1940, in Providence, R.I., the son of Armando Portos Ferreira and Mary Ormonde Ferreira of Seekonk, Mass. I am survived by my sister Olga Alfonso, now of Plymouth, Mass; and my extended family on both mine and my wife's side. As a teenager, cars were my passion. My first job was as an auto mechanic at a garage in Barrington, R.I., where, across the street at the local drug store serving an ice-cream float, I met and later married my future wife Luisa, who now after 53 years of marriage, lives in the home we built our lives together in Waterford. I enlisted in the US Navy in 1961. I was a qualified Submariner, honorably serving aboard the USS Angler (AGSS-240). After discharging from the Navy, I worked in the Ship Test Organization at Electric Boat until my retirement in 1995, after 30 years of employment. When I was 33, I was in a terrible accident when I was hit by a truck, but fortunately my life was saved by a young doctor fresh out of the Navy. My right leg was amputated, but the handicap never defined me. Dependent on me at that time was my young wife with my oldest son Michael, then six, my daughter Maria, then three, and my youngest son Mark, just one year old. I enjoyed most of my free time working and landscaping my home side by side with my wife. Neighbors would be amused as I would play on my yellow tractor with the bucket as we would dig up the yard and redo it again and again. I truly enjoyed my home and sharing it with my family. It was my passion. Life is always full of good times and bad and my life was no different. I had battled cardiac disease over my lifetime, escaping the obituary a number of times on the operating table. I had incredible friendships. I cannot share enough how much you have meant to me. Lifelong friends Bob and Diane Dumont, and Jerry and Cathy Kaufman, who I consider family and who have been so generous and helpful to me and my family. Finally, I wish to thank dearest Scott, the young man who passed away at 16, and who's heart was donated to save my life yet again. My life now extended another 17 years. I have witnessed my sons' and daughter's days filled by their life partners Sean, Sheila, and Megan. I have watched my grandchildren Ryan, Paige, Conner, Ethan and Tarance grow up. Not a day has gone by that I have not passed by Scott's photo hanging on our refrigerator and thanked him for my extended life.A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Fitzgerald Avenue, at 10 a.m. Thursday, May 24. In lieu of flowers, donations in my memory can be made to the American Heart Association. A private burial service will be held at the family plot in East Providence, R.I. where I will be laid to rest with my parents. The Thomas L. Neilan & Sons Funeral Home, 12 Ocean Avenue, New London is assisting the family with the arrangements. Published in The Day on May 23, 2018

MASON, James W., 92, of Port Orchard, passed away on May 13, 2018. Jim's long-time family home was on Olalla Valley in Port Orchard. He was born in Cuba, Illinois October 15, 1925 to the late Tom and Amy Mason. Jim had a 20-year career in the US Navy as a Submariner and served as Chief of the Boat. He was a World War II and Korean War Veteran. On November 23, 1944 he married the love of his life, Mary Louise Morse. They were together for 53 years until her passing on May 20, 1998. After his Naval career Jim went on to a 20-year career in the Civil Service designing and building hydrofoils for the Navy. After his second retirement he had various jobs helping the community including; St. Gabriel's Catholic Church, Long Lake golf course and Olalla Elementary school. Jim spent the last 20 years traveling and sharing life with his longtime companion and friend Evelyn Ryan. Jim was a friend to all and stranger to none. He was a proud father, coach, and mentor. He enjoyed traveling, building and flying R.C. model airplanes, dancing and living life to the fullest. Jim and Mary had seven children, he is survived by six children and their spouses: Danny (deceased) and Jody Mason, Loretta and Randal West, Ellie and George Brown, Peggy and George Ladenburg, Tammie and Doug Morse, Jeannie and Tim Johnson, Timothy and Kristie Mason; 27 grandchildren; 49 great-grandchildren; and 11 great-great-grandchildren. Celebration of Life to be held June 9, 2018 from 1-4pm at the Olalla Community Club. A life story & tribute wall is available at www.rill.com. Published in Kitsap Sun on May 23, 2018

VINSON, John Louis, 89, of Lexington, Mo., died Friday, May 11, 2018, at his home. John was born May the 16, 1928, in Fort Dodge, Iowa, to Clifford and Amanda Vinson, and married Joyce Ann Keithley in September of 1949. Since that time, he has called Kansas City, Blue Springs, Lake Tapawingo, Arrow Rock and Lexington home. John was preceded in death by the light of his life, Joyce; his daughter, Kristie; grandson, Brandon; sisters, Dee and Lila; brother, James; his parents, and many other friends and relatives. John is survived by his daughter, Kathy (Bill) Johnston; sons, John (Charlene), Jim and Jeff Vinson; 8 grandchildren; 8 great-grandchildren; a large extended family, and a host of friends. Although he served on a submarine after high-school graduation, worked 34 years for Remington-Dupont, volunteered for the local sheltered workshop and renovated/operated a successful Bed & Breakfast, John was first and foremost a great husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather and, most of all, friend. He was a charming man and will be missed by all who knew him. Services will be held at noon May 27, at Arrow Rock Cemetery, with a "Toast to Big John" to follow at the shelter house in Arrow Rock State Park. In lieu of flowers, buy a bag of wintergreen Life-Savers and hand them out to family, friends, and complete strangers. Arrangements: Campbell-Lewis Funeral Home, Marshall, Mo., 660-886-5700. Published in The Examiner on May 23, 2018
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software