Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In their history, submarines were called by many names such as 'eel boats', 'plunging boats', 'devil divers', and 'pig boats'. Technically, and by size, the submarine is a ship, but it has been called a boat since its earliest days, and the term is steeped in tradition. Submariners almost invariably call their ships 'boats".
an old man musing
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

fortyrod
Posted 2018-06-11 3:42 PM (#89487)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: an old man musing

Today I was thinking about some childhood memories

I remember hundreds of fireflies lighting up the night. Mom would give us a mason jar and lid. We caught them and took them upstairs to bed. The jar on the dresser was blinking as we fell asleep. I don't see firefly's anymore, haven't for many years. I think all the farmers killed them with all their pesticide sprays. I don't feel the love for farmers right now.

We looked for Caterpillar worms in the many milkweeds around the farm. We would catch a few, put them in the mason jar (thanks Mom) along with some milkweed. Watch the worm turn into a chrysalis, and later emerge as a Monarch butterfly. I seldom see a Monarch anymore. I guess because I seldom see a milkweed plant. I think all the farmers killed the milkweed with their weed killers (sanitized agent orange). I don't feel the love for farmers right now.

If a road passed between two sloughs in Minnesota you could see and drive over thousands of frogs. The road would be greasy with smushed kermits. When I came to NY there were lots of frogs. I don't see them anymore, well, I did see two this spring, but they were just passing through from Pennsylvania on their way to Ontario. Where have all the froggies gone, long time passing? I think I'll blame the farmers for killing all the bugs.

Speaking about the missing and rare, where are all the goldfinches, grosbeaks, and swallows. Seen any down your way? Few in Northern NY for sure.

I'm not a tree hugger, but I'm convinced there is something to my theory's. We need Rachael Carson incarnate. The government usually screws everything up, but I think there is a place for the DEC and EPA. They just need a watchdog and a yank on their leash every now and then. I think I'll write a letter to have them send out a search party for the missing species.

I'll end this musing, borderline rant. I'm sure attention spans have been stretched and waning. If you see Kermit tell him I miss him.
Scrivener
Posted 2018-06-11 4:12 PM (#89490 - in reply to #89487)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: an old man musing

Thanks for the memories. In Southern Iowa we called them Lightning Bugs. I have fond memories of us kids on warm summer evenings running around our pasture capturing Lightning Bugs.
Pedro
Posted 2018-06-11 5:10 PM (#89491 - in reply to #89487)

COMSUBBBS

Ian,

You certainly have my attention on this subject because exactly the same thing is happening here in England. I believe the common denominator has to be the pesticides being sprayed across farming lands and the removal of hedgerows in the green belts of the country. Our back garden (backyard to you) used to be filled with flocks of sparrows, starlings, thrushes, magpies and blackbirds and many would nest in the climbing honeysuckle and clematis, Bird feeders would be regularly emptied in no time at all when the young birds started to arrive.

For the past five years, there has been nothing going on out there. No birds, butterflies or swarms of bees all of which used to be in profusion. I can understand bird migration during the winter but it is now high summer and they are noticeable by their absence. If they have just moved on, then that's okay, but I strongly suspect that a lot of the species are fast diminishing, and that's a real concern for everyone on the planet. Man has wrecked the rainforests and polluted the oceans with plastic waste. It's about time everyone wised up to how dependent we are on wildlife to support our fragile eco-systems. Hope you can open the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20160323-why-we-should-all-take-part-in-a-wildlife-survey

Pedro
GaryKC
Posted 2018-06-11 5:49 PM (#89492 - in reply to #89487)

COMSUBBBS

Humanity has decided that s**tting in the only nest we have is a good thing. 
Runner485
Posted 2018-06-12 5:20 AM (#89493 - in reply to #89487)

COMSUBBBS

I don't see lightning bugs anymore and wondered where they went. Don't know what milkweeds and caterpillar worms are and butterflies are rare where I live, which usta be a major farming area, but now we are over run by a worse plague. Tourists.
Ric
Posted 2018-06-12 6:00 AM (#89495 - in reply to #89487)

Plankowner

Never saw a Firefly/Lighting Bug until the year 2000 when we were on a project that took us to Indiana and our Hotel/Motel was on the outskirts of a major city and lots of open country. It was a warn summer evening and a few of us were standing around outside enjoying the weather and early dusk. It was then I started noticing these small dancing sparks blipping on and off. I was thrilled and knew what they were and since we don't have them on the west coast I was set to watch for a while. It is the only place I've ever seen them.
GaryKC
Posted 2018-06-12 8:24 AM (#89496 - in reply to #89487)

COMSUBBBS

PaulR
Posted 2018-06-14 6:26 AM (#89504 - in reply to #89487)

Master and Commander

Fireflies...fun catching them and having to punch holes in the lids.

also recall their funky odor..
Bob Mahon
Posted 2018-06-20 8:00 PM (#89527 - in reply to #89487)

Great Sage of the Sea

Fireflies/Lightening bugs ???? Here in NEPA we still have them. Not so many as before, but they're still here.

I can also recall bioluminescence in the wakes of my Boats while on Lookout.
Bob T
Posted 2018-06-25 9:55 PM (#89552 - in reply to #89487)

Senior Crew

I had an uncle who was fresh out of boot camp. Reported aboard one of the ships at Pearl Harbor on 4 December 1941. He wasr X Division for the attack. Later in the war made rate as Postal Clerk. His battle station was on one of the gun mounts. I don't remember what ship; everybody in the family who might have known is deceased. When I knew him he was a post office employee. His hobby was making hard cider.

Rest in peace, Uncle Tom Richey.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2018-06-26 4:27 AM (#89553 - in reply to #89487)
Master and Commander

The grandkids were chasing fire flies just the other night. Not as plentiful; but, some hung in there.

The birds come because we have a feeder. Mr & Mrs Cardinal had 3 babies this year. We have hawks for the past few years, which we never had before. They keep the mouse population down and I use fewer traps in the basement.

We hear hoot owls at night but never see them.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software