Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I don't know why they call it 'eternal patrol', rather than 'eternal rest camp'? I was never afraid in rest camp.” -- Howard "Shorty" Evans - USS Queenfish SS 393
A Horrible Nightmare NS
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2018-10-10 9:48 AM (#90365)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: A Horrible Nightmare NS

I was talking with an old navy airdale the other day and it must have stirred up a lot of deeply buried feelings.I dreamt I was in boot camp in the GLakes. It was the middle of winter, February to be exact and we had to hand wash our entire seabag, including the damn bag. The worst was yet to come when i went out to the outdoor clothes lines, and tried to hang up all my clothes with cloths stops....Remember them feckers! Not only did we have to hang the clothes up with all the knots facing in the same direction, but the knots had to be square knots...I still don't know how to tie a square knot and if I did do one it was an accident. Along with trying to tie square knots, the weather was freezing cold and my fingers froze before I could hang two pieces of my uniform. It was misery personified with the navy being masochistic enough to devise a
this seemly benign torture...
When I awoke I was thrilled to realized I was 77 years old and not 18 again in boot camp....Shudder!
Tom McNulty
Posted 2018-10-10 12:10 PM (#90369 - in reply to #90365)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: A Horrible Nightmare NS

You left out that the distance between the clothes stops which I believe may be 1 inch between laundry.
Bob T
Posted 2018-10-13 1:08 AM (#90395 - in reply to #90365)

Senior Crew

I got out in 1970. My "submarine dreams" usually consist of having the wrong uniforms and not being able to find my battle station.
Gil
Posted 2018-10-13 10:47 AM (#90397 - in reply to #90365)
Master and Commander

In '65 I enlisted in the USNR and got my uniform for my first monthly meeting.  My mother ironed my uniform for me, and it wasn't until I was standing at muster on the deck of our reserve boat (Roncador) on Saturday morning I realized my mother ironed the creases the opposite way.  Who'd of thought the Navy had creases inside out.

Since our boot camp was only two weeks long at Hunters Point I don't remember washing clothes.
Holland Club
Posted 2018-10-13 11:26 AM (#90398 - in reply to #90365)

Master and Commander

Yep, hit GLakes in December 1951 after the ride from Louisville on the cattle train. Don't remember chow as it was a short ride. This TN/KY boy had never even heard of -25 degrees but now we were living in it. We didn't have to go out on the grinder and march in the extreme low temp but did get out on days when the temp might be mid 20's. Mostly classroom stuff. Of course marching to the pool building, stripping bare butt and hanging out for an hour, getting dressed and then marching to the next stop in the cold temps. We lost a few for health reasons in all this.

Do remember the required seabag laundry thing. We did get to do it inside and used inside facilities for drying then the rolling and tying off with the clothes stops. After all this, it all had to be laid out for inspection properly on one of your blankets.
Also recall the inspector tyrant grabbing the corner of someone's blanket and flipping everything into the air for the owner to try to retrieve later.
Then when going to the next duty assignment , it had to all go into the seabag which was my only luggage on the next cattle car ride to Norfolk, VA and then on to Little Creek. Even then they were fattening up the amphibs for assaults on North Korea.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software