Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They also serve those who only stand and wait" - Eleanor Rickover, quoting Milton's "On His Blindness"
History of Pizza (in Seattle)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2018-10-14 9:44 AM (#90404)

Plankowner

Subject: History of Pizza (in Seattle)

Trying to explain to Ms Lumpy Bumps the lack of lots of Italian food in Seattle and, though the biggy pizza chains are here, now, it didn't use to be that way. When I was in Jr High and High School there were only a couple of strictly pizza joints. Normally you had to find one of the few real Italian Restaurants in the area. We just never had the huge Italian populations that drove the popularity to make the food that wide spread.

Looking around I discovered this recent story about Seattle Pizza.

http://www.historylink.org/File/20557

Where I lived and went to school was the area called "Garlic Gulch." in the article and eating at Pizza Pete's, all now gone. The area now is heavily oriental, mostly Vietnamese though the area was always highly integrated. Brought lots of fond memories and the places now long gone, driven out of business by the national pizza chains. There are a few stellar "parlors" around but not many.

Pizza, pizza!!

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2018-10-14 10:27 AM (#90405 - in reply to #90404)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: History of Pizza (in Seattle)

I grew up knowing the son of an individual that owned a Pizza Parlor. He used to tell us that pizza was the most profitable food to sell of any of the restaurant foods. He had a storefront shop where the subway stop and bus stops met on Queens Blvd. No tables, just by the slice thru the window or takeout pies. He encouraged me to open a pizza parlor in Reading PA when I graduated High School. He knew we had family in the area. Now I hear it has been replaced by Mexican food in the max profit line. 

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe 2018-10-14 10:28 AM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2018-10-14 3:39 PM (#90407 - in reply to #90405)

Master and Commander

Those NYC pizza windows were real popular with the cabbies. Most are now $8 pies or a $1/slice. Some are still pretty good too.
Gil
Posted 2018-10-15 4:06 PM (#90411 - in reply to #90405)
Master and Commander

I'm surprised Seattle doesn't have that much in the way of pizza.  The city has a great reputation from foodies about the variety of foods available.  My only trip to your fair city was when Bill Russell was the Sonic's head coach, and pre-internet.  I see so many places these days I'd like to have tried.

I'm not a pizza lover, but I think most of the people that crave it are not Italians. 

I'll settle for just sitting down  at Pike's with an order of crab, and taking the foodie tour they offer.

Edited by Gil 2018-10-15 4:11 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software