Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In clear water, a submerged submarine can be spotted from the air at depths up to 100 feet.
Off to the Caribbean
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Naplesjack
Posted 2018-10-20 3:00 AM (#90437)

Crew

Subject: Off to the Caribbean

Going on the USSVI convention cruise, I'm not a member but going with old Lafayette shipmate.
Any body else going? If not I'll lift a few for yall.
Pedro
Posted 2018-10-20 12:25 PM (#90445 - in reply to #90437)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Off to the Caribbean

Jack,

Jesus Christ on a crutch I only wish that I were free to go with you mate. You have a fantastic time down there sailor and report back to the BBS after its done. I know I have always banged on about the merits of Pusser's Rum in the past, but the better rum down there is Appletons Estate. Not so rough with a smoother blend more suited to our advanced and discerning years and tastebuds.

Pedro

Edited by Pedro 2018-10-21 5:44 AM
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2018-10-20 6:26 PM (#90449 - in reply to #90445)

Master and Commander

Not to get off subject, ... Pedro, what do you think of Lamb's Navy Rum dark? I haven't heard anything bad, but then nothing good either.
Pedro
Posted 2018-10-21 6:31 AM (#90454 - in reply to #90449)

COMSUBBBS

Jon,

Your assessment of Lambs Navy Rum is pretty much right on. Back in the day like our American naval cousins, we would drink almost anything that came to hand. But any sailor I ever met would always say the same thing about Lambs. That it was far too lightweight and weak for decent rum and was to be avoided even if it was offered on the house. Captain Morgan Rum is another brand that fell into the same category as I recall. Probably because we had been spoilt by the quality of the daily tot of genuine navy rum we used to get till the Admiralty terminated it on 31st July 1970 which infamously became known as Black Tot Day.

Pedro
Runner485
Posted 2018-10-21 9:52 AM (#90456 - in reply to #90454)

COMSUBBBS

Pedro,
Love the infamous Black Tot Day! You can bet the Admiralty didn't terminate their tot, did they....
rover177
Posted 2018-10-21 1:54 PM (#90458 - in reply to #90437)
Master and Commander

RNZN was just removing the rum issue when we visited in late 1974; the last of the special mix original Navy Rum.
Pedro
Posted 2018-10-21 3:44 PM (#90459 - in reply to #90456)

COMSUBBBS

Joe,

You are quite correct; the abolition of the daily tot did not affect the wardrooms daily intake of Pink Gins, Horses Necks, Port and wine. To be fair, this was not free like the tot but was paid for on their mess bills at ridiculously low duty-free prices. Instead, we, in turn, received a measly two cans of beer a day plus something called the Tot Fund which then paid for things like sports equipment etc which previously had been provided anyway. Quite a rip-off when you think about it now. When you consider that the tot was supposedly stopped because it was considered that alcohol was not compatible with the missile age then it does beg the question; why was it never applied to officer country? Ready for any incoming from Rupert’s of that time.

Pedro ;)

Edited by Pedro 2018-10-21 3:54 PM
Bob Mahon
Posted 2018-10-21 9:13 PM (#90462 - in reply to #90437)

Great Sage of the Sea

Officer's credo: "If it's horses**t for the white hats, we're for it".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software