Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Beeman Center at Sub Base Pearl Harbor was named for Arthur C Beeman, PhMC aboard the USS AMBERJACK (SS-219) on 4-Feb-43 - He was killed while the sub was engaged in a in gun action with a Japanese ammo ship..
So true....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2018-11-03 8:26 PM (#90532)

Plankowner

Subject: So true....

There is a place on the web that daily Sci-Fi stories. All are fairly short. Most are OK a few are wonderful, some are great.
One I just read had this piece of profundity. I can't argue with it.

"We all had ancestors that survived the Pleistocene....."

If we didn't we wouldn't be here!!!

https://dailysciencefiction.com/science-fiction/science-fiction/david-barber/as-if-all-questions-have-answers

GaryKC
Posted 2018-11-03 10:01 PM (#90533 - in reply to #90532)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: So true....

99.9999% of species that have ever existed went extinct. Zooming out to look at the bigger picture this means that everything living today is the result of an unbroken sequence of ancestors that goes back at least two billion years. You, me and everyone else on this forum are part of a lucky chain of survivors going back countless generations. Many others didn't make it (even very large groups that are abundant in the fossil record such as the dinosaurs, trilobites, ammonites, graptolites etc.) and most scientists agree this is more to do with luck than some inherent superiority of modern forms.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2018-11-04 5:27 AM (#90534 - in reply to #90532)
Master and Commander

Amazing statistic! 99.999..%

I do the ancestry research for my family. Closer in history, my daughter-in-law's Great Grandfather was the sole survivor from a family of seven after everyone else died in WWI or from the Spanish flu.

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2018-11-04 6:41 AM (#90535 - in reply to #90534)

Master and Commander

History hits home. My great Grandfather, Great Grandmother, Grandmother (as a youth), Great aunt (as a youth) and Great Uncle (as a child), all Dutch, were taken to England from the Orange Free State in south Africa, as a result of the Second Boer War. They eventually settled in Cleveland. Great Grampa was a mining engineer, working in the diamond mines.
Holland Club
Posted 2018-11-04 11:04 AM (#90536 - in reply to #90535)

Master and Commander

Genealogy has always been interesting to me. I have lines going back 15 generations. Largely Dutch, English, Swedes and Germans.
Earliest in this country, Delaware and New York(Ulster Co) in the mid 1600's. William Penn sold deeds to property in the US and founded Germantown, PA. Some 30 families immigrated and all intermarried so if you are related to one, you are related to all. One little problem, the Swedes had already settled that part of PA do they were invited to leave and went to Delaware. Have several ancestors buried in the cemetery at Old Swede's Church in New Castle County.
And an 8th grand pappy John Anderson Stalcop died 1685

Edited by Holland Club 2018-11-04 8:08 PM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2018-11-04 3:55 PM (#90538 - in reply to #90536)

Master and Commander

I would be happy to visit their grave sites in Old Swede's Church if you have their names. I live about 15 minutes away.
Holland Club
Posted 2018-11-04 7:52 PM (#90539 - in reply to #90538)

Master and Commander

Here are some, There are others but can't locate the references right now.
Date Event Person
Old Swedes Church Cemetery, British America, Delaware, New Castle, Wilmington
11 Oct 1738 Burial Kerstin Derickson-
6 Mar 1750 Burial Brita Bridget Paulsson
25 Mar 1765 Burial Ericus "Eric" Anderson
Date Event Person / Couple
Old Swedes Church Cemetery, British America, Delaware, New Castle, Wilmington
Also Peter Smith who died in 1747 in Wilmington but don't have proof he is buried there at Old Swedes.
Thanks very much.
BTW any of you doing genealogy or have interest and want to hit me with a name, I'll see if I have anything on them. I have 47000 people in my data base.
I have about 20 other residents of Wilmington in that time frame.

Runner485
Posted 2018-11-05 6:39 AM (#90540 - in reply to #90539)

COMSUBBBS

What a lineage Ron...You go way back. Amazing you were able to find all that out.

Not so my family. My fathers side came from Ireland in 1847-49, while my mothers side came from Italy. I traced my fathers side to 3 different individuals that had the same first name and were born about the same time, + or - one year. That's when I hit a brick wall.
My mom said that her family came from Naples, when actually, the immigrated from Italy through the port of Naples. They came from a town in Southern Italy, just above the instep of the boot, they arrived in America about 1905. I was thrilled when I found out that info. I was sorry that my entire family on my mothers side were all dead and were not able to know where they really came from...
I'm taking a break from Ancestry for a while. Very frustrating, but fun.
Ric
Posted 2018-11-05 9:52 AM (#90542 - in reply to #90540)

Plankowner

I do a fair amount of Ancestry work in conjunction with PigBoats. I run up against that same wall time and time again. Especially when trying to trace a Irish decent. No imagination in naming kids, same names over and over. You have no idea how many Patrick O'Sullivans there really are!!! No offense intended but historically it is a brick wall.
Holland Club
Posted 2018-11-05 4:42 PM (#90547 - in reply to #90540)

Master and Commander

Yeah Joe it has been a ball. I also have done a lot of work on wife's lineage. They were all from the Czech Republic. She has a cousin who lives locally but is in contact with someone in the Czech Republic who can come with details which includes houses where ancestors lived. Just wonder if you couldn't contact someone over there in Ireland that could search deeds, church, baptism and burial records for you at a reasonable cost. Ancestry even has a button for 'hiring an expert'. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Also check the button about who else is looking for any names you might want to search. I have no idea how many Roche's might be around but I'll guarantee it is lots less than the Mitchells.

Good luck and yell if you can think of anything I can do to help.
Guess you have already done this but go here:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/search?firstname=Joseph&middlename=&lastname=Roche&birthyear=&birthyearfilter=&deathye

There is no charge for joining Just fill out their registration thing.

Edited by Holland Club 2018-11-05 4:50 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software